State Semifinal:Rhea County at Knox West

BigDave1967

To address some of these blatantly bogus accusations I would like to begin with the fact that we are in the semifinals of the state football championships. To imply refs would openly cheat for a team is asinine in and of itself. Refs miss calls in every game at every level. I for one think they made some bad calls both ways and I will list a couple that went against Rhea County.

On one of West's first three drives there was a big pass interference call that went against Rhea County where the safety timed his hit perfectly and was called for a bogus penalty. That was 3rd down and 15.

West scored a touchdown on a quarterback tuck and run on a 3rd and 17, where I counted at least 2 blatant holding infractions.

So while you are saying the score should have been 35-0 at the half minimum, I would respectfully like to disagree and say it should have been maximum 14-0. Did I mention that Rhea County lost 3 fumbles in the first half as well. West completely outplayed Rhea County in the first half, but they had some assistance on their way to the 28-0 half time lead.

On to the second half and the calls in question.

We fumbled a kick off and due to your incompetence in the special teams as you committed a substitution infraction resulting in a re-kick. That is not cheating that is making you follow the rules.

The only really strange call was on the interception that West would have eventually returned for a touchdown. The call was the correct call. It should just have not been blown dead. There was a offsetting unsportsmanlike conduct on both teams which meant the down would be replayed. That doesn't seem like cheating to me either.

A touchdown thrown to a tackle? Number 85 plays end and also had two touchdowns against Oak Ridge.

Finally.. Rhea's last first down was obvious pass interference, and we run the wing-t, so the motion penalty you are looking for is actually a back in motion.

Also if you want to complain about losing your best defensive player on the first play of the game go ahead. Rhea lost it's most dominating physical presence on both sides of the ball in Jacob Williams in the first half. He didn't play after half time.

Why can't you people just give all the credit to the kids on both sides of the ball, for playing their guts out for a chance to win it all. Refs didn't win or lose this game it was decided by the coaches, and their preparation for this moment.

Congratulations West and good luck next week.

I had no rooting interest in this game, but I watched from start to finish. I encourage you to go to the MyVLT website and watch the replay of the entire game, if you want to see what so many people are getting at. Heck, I think they replayed and discussed that ineligible receiver no-call for a good 5 minutes alone.

I just want to reiterate, a good portion of us discussing the officiating issues didn't have a dog in this fight. We watched the game on tv, and certainly had a chance to see a lot of these controversial calls replayed multiple times. Bad calls definitely went both ways, no doubt about it. But the severity of some of those calls certainly punished one team a bit more.

Just a shame that something like that had to happen in a state semifinal.

I have been following this site for a long time and never saw the need to post.  One would think West lost the game by how much some of you are complaining.  Maybe the camera didn't catch the penalties, but there were obvious penalties on the big plays you all are referring to that should have and did nullify the plays.  So it would have not been 35 or 42 to zero at the half.  And you should be thankful it wasn't just 14. The calls on those plays were the correct ones.

These refs were not from the area.  They were actually from an area closer to Knoxville.

85 is an end not a tackle.  May have been one of those strange alignments with the wing T because he has never lined up as a tackle.  You all are also assuming that Rhea would not have scored anyway.  We would have.  I've seen that look in the eyes of the team - they believed at that point - if there had been enough time at the end - we would still be playing football.

Why are you all complaining? Is it just too hard to accept that Rhea County outplayed West in the second half and West didn't get the blow out you all had predicted and hoped for? 

One final thought - loved how Rhea County did not back down from the challenge and kicked off to West with no worry if the ball went into the end zone or not. 

Let's just say it this way - can we all agree for whatever reason - there was no valid reason for that crew to be officiating anything in the TSSAA?

I will also point out that Seth Marshall #7 refuses to accept defeat. With the game on the line - #7 steps up once again and says no worries guys - I got this.

The referees were from the clinch valley association. A couple from Rockwood (which is where Pemberton has lived for a long time, went to high school there). Some from Harriman, very close also. State does assign them. Should have more of a neutral crew. But game is over and the championships are set. The TSSAA enforces the rules to those they want. Rhea County knows all about doing that.

What you all fail to recognize or admit is that while the interception call was not the correct call - the play had to be replayed due to the offsetting penalties.  And yes there was a penalty - it happened right in front of us on the Rhea sideline and the penalty was the correct call.   So if you want to blame anyone for that missed opportunity - blame West player number 11 for choosing a bad time to pick a fight not the refs. 

I agree the officiating was bad and both sides are complaining about it.  Unfortunately it is taking away from what was good game on both sides - West in the first half and the great comeback by the Eagles to tie the game. 

The winning West coach still needs to report the refs to the TSSAA...just pure incompetence. And also once TSSAA decides who's incompetent and who's not concerning that crew they should only see high school football games by buying tickets for now on. There's no way they should be given another chance to have input in a game. Yes I've had bad days at work but nothing like that...I'd be fired if I did.