It's time to separate the privates

bigb31072

He's referring to the public open zone schools. We're fine with 2A after multiplier. He's just saying public schools that are open zoned should have a multiplier because they can influence kids to come their way just like a private. It's only fair.

Are closed zone school systems forced to be closed zones or did the local community vote for them to be that way?

Or either a 25 mile move.

It doesn't seem to be too hard. Notre Dame had one come in from Ringgold for his senior year, 14 miles distance between the schools. I am sure it didn't hurt things that he immediately took over as starting quarterback and was also a very good baseball player. As for hardship, things couldn't have been too hard if they could afford the tuition as the TSSAA states they should for the school to be in Division I.

Both are very unfair, look no farther than the UC and NC game.both would win 2a and either would beat 95 percent of the teams in 3a. Both these teams draw their water out of a deeper well. Nothing 1aish about either team.

I'm not a UC fan per say. What people don't realize is two years ago Dresden (who is a larger 1A school) beat them when they were supposed to be great. Granted this years team and last year are amazing. Personally I don't see them being what they are last two years again for awhile. They just have a special group of kids. Living close to Obion County if my son played football in that county I'd send him to UC. The 4A school that's close has a athletic program in shambles.We are open zoned and really don't gain any athletes. Private schools are a different story for me. Just my 2cents

• 4 weeks later...

The head master of the best private school football program in TN the last five years said the split is coming sooner rather than later. Three classifications across all sports.

Then the public schools can whine about open enrollment zones. It will be funny to watch.

I don't know how you would address the situation, but rural and Urban is where the disparity really comes in. Birds of a feather flock together and Urban has a lot more birds.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A year later, and it sounds like the T$$AA ain't done squat, except count their money.  There needs to be a hard deadline on this whole process.  The committee and the board of control will never pull the trigger unless they are facing a deadline.  Sounds like that Childress boy (who I don't like so much, by the way) is wanting a decision from the committee by the end of 2015, but he needs to step up and lead the organization to a resolution of this issue, one way or the other.  SMH

https://mopattonsports.wordpress.com/2015/03/10/childress-tssaa-split-still-on-table-progressing-slowly/

A year later, and it sounds like the T$$AA ain't done squat, except count their money.  There needs to be a hard deadline on this whole process.  The committee and the board of control will never pull the trigger unless they are facing a deadline.  Sounds like that Childress boy (who I don't like so much, by the way) is wanting a decision from the committee by the end of 2015, but he needs to step up and lead the organization to a resolution of this issue, one way or the other.  SMH

https://mopattonsports.wordpress.com/2015/03/10/childress-tssaa-split-still-on-table-progressing-slowly/

Yes, do it right now. Forget the committee and act!!!

It's funny...years ago, when the first split happened (based on financial aid, because that was the "big problem" when BA beat Riverdale in the Clinic Bowl) and people suggested, "well, if you want to play with us, then just quit giving financial aid."  I said that it wouldn't matter, because eventually some private school somewhere would win a game they weren't supposed to, make someone mad, and we'd be voted out anyways....so might as well just continue to give financial aid and play wherever the TSSAA tells us to play.  Well, lo and behold, that day has come!

Of course Childress makes the obvious point--someone has to pay for the financial aid that these schools are now going to have to give to compete in D2....who, exactly?  At least back in '97 when the first group was voted out, they were giving financial aid anyways, so it wasn't a change in the operation of the school, per se, just where they were playing.  Now, I guess, these schools (if they want to field sports teams) better figure out a way to come up with a 7-figure endowment to fund the financial aid that every student enrolled will be eligible to receive.  Schools that have played exactly by the rules that the TSSAA set forth in '97 when this distinction was first drawn.

But who cares!!  More trophies for everyone!  Yaaay TSSAA!!

Edited by big red big blue