It's time to separate the privates

bigb31072

Marion County has an open zone, but I can say without hesitation that you really only see a few kids jumping between Marion, SP and Whitwell. Now, the bus routes only run in their designated areas so if a kid lives in one of these towns and wants to go to the other school they have to provide their own transportation. The real advantages lie with schools like Signal Mountain where they actually bus kids from other zones in Hamilton County up to Signal. This is a huge advantage and something smaller open zoned counties such as Marion doesn't have.

You are right. It has happened before. Whatever happens the parents must be willing to get them transportation. I would guess that 98% of the kids at all three schools live in that school's communities, but the other 2% might hop around.

Barney,

You ain't too smart, is you?  They ain't been any kids bused up to Signal for several years.  HCDE does not provide transportation for the NCLB students.  Those kids have a lot harder time gittin' up and down the mountain than a South Pitt kid would to Jasper, two minutes down the road.  :rolleyes:

Madison County is now open zoned and it's killing JCM. All counties should go back to closed zones. This would equalize the talent and prevent certain schools from loading up. It's also free! Privates schools are not free and only a certain percentage of families can afford private tuition. Huge advantage to open zoned schools. Very unlikely that a school from open zone would approach a non athlete and recruit them to their school. They only want the athletes. Slap a 1.5 multiplier on them! It's only fair!

Madison County is now open zoned and it's killing JCM. All counties should go back to closed zones. This would equalize the talent and prevent certain schools from loading up. It's also free! Privates schools are not free and only a certain percentage of families can afford private tuition. Huge advantage to open zoned schools. Very unlikely that a school from open zone would approach a non athlete and recruit them to their school. They only want the athletes. Slap a 1.5 multiplier on them! It's only fair!

Now that's funny. Private talking about open zone. How many non athletes does the privates recruit.Its probably not the open zone killing JCM. Edited by horse

Union City would try to get a good student in a heartbeat and if the student was a good athlete, then that would be icing on the cake.  Academics are being pushed hard at UCHS.  The high school is trying to pump out as many 30+ ACT scores/year as it possibly can.  What are the advantages of having a closed zone school system? 

Union City would try to get a good student in a heartbeat and if the student was a good athlete, then that would be icing on the cake. Academics are being pushed hard at UCHS. The high school is trying to pump out as many 30+ ACT scores/year as it possibly can. What are the advantages of having a closed zone school system?

I didn't say it was necessarily an advantage but it is a disadvantage to some of the schools who are in open zone. One advantage to the county is that the athletes would be spread out and the other schools would be able to more readily compete.

Barney,

You ain't too smart, is you? They ain't been any kids bused up to Signal for several years. HCDE does not provide transportation for the NCLB students. Those kids have a lot harder time gittin' up and down the mountain than a South Pitt kid would to Jasper, two minutes down the road. :rolleyes:

Ok, I stand corrected then. I wasn't aware the transportation had stopped.