It's time to separate the privates

bigb31072

why should they have to?  They operate under the prescribed rules set forth by the TSSAA that define who is eligible to compete in Division 1 and who must compete in Division 2.  Whether they are competitive or not is irrelevant. 

Those "prescribed rules" are the problem...they force two completely different entities to compete under one umbrella of rules. Just for example, you say that USJ (voluntarily switched to DII several years back) has an unfair advantage over TCA (DI) if the split happens. Both are private schools in Jackson, have "competed" for the same kids,and Trinity has pretty much established themselves as the premier small school for athletics in the area. On the other hand, you expect that the small rural public schools should compete against TCA, when they are able to draw from a city of over 76,000 people, surrounding small towns, and even adjacent counties. I don't expect my response to change your point of view, but I would expect a logical person to at least acknowledge that there is a sizable advantage to the privates, if for no other reason than they restrict enrollment, and have the choice of accepting or denying any student for any undisclosed reason.

How does any one see the private schools being aligned when they do split.  There are not many private schools so do you group everyone together in one region and split them up for playoffs? Will they have A, AA, and AAA for football or just A and AA? 

The split would actually solve a lot of problems for the privates who already play in DII. West Tn. DII schools currently play public schools and DI privates to fill out their schedule, which isn't an issue, but when the playoffs begin they routinely have to travel great distances (even Knoxville...300 miles +) ...adding the privates currently in DI would allow playoff scenario's with travel distances of less than 100 miles. Memphis has numbers for their own region, as well as the rest of the western division to be separate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It ain't really financial aide in the traditional sense.  It's just "tuition forgiveness", and you ain't got to extend it to everybody, just a few key athletes who otherwise couldn't afford to come to your school.  Just means the church or whoever has to underwrite the school's operating budget a little more.

If you're confused, just call Notre Dame or Knox Catholic.  They will tell you how it works. :blush:

Accurate description. Most private schools have classes with "room" for more students than they actually have in that class (excess capacity). But if the rules were followed it would only be for families that couldn't afford the tuition, based on a FAFSA or similar financial aid assessment tool. It is interesting that only exceptional athletes have true financial need, isn't it?

• 2 weeks later...

IMO, if the small rural schools want to form another association that is what they should do. My personal thoughts are that the TSSAA has out grown the capabilities of those that run the organization. You have educators trying to operate a multi million dollars business without any business training. The TSSAA should get a group of about 5 or 6 non biased business professionals together and revamp the entire rule book and organization.

Correct me if I am wrong on this. Is the national federation willing to recognize multiple associations in one state?

Correct me if I am wrong on this. Is the national federation willing to recognize multiple associations in one state?

No.  But what will happen is you'll see the large privates form the old private southern school league where the top private schools from TN, MS, AL, GA, NC create a super league.  And when this does happen, these schools will receive even more talent then they currently do.  There might be one or two college reps at a 6A game to watch one player, but when this super confrence is created, you better build an extra press box to handle all the scouts that will attend to see all the D1 talent. 

• 9 months later...

How does any one see the private schools being aligned when they do split. There are not many private schools so do you group everyone together in one region and split them up for playoffs? Will they have A, AA, and AAA for football or just A and AA?

Who cares? If they have to drive 300 miles to get a game WHO CARES. They chose to play private so let's keep it that way PRIVATE.

No. But what will happen is you'll see the large privates form the old private southern school league where the top private schools from TN, MS, AL, GA, NC create a super league. And when this does happen, these schools will receive even more talent then they currently do. There might be one or two college reps at a 6A game to watch one player, but when this super confrence is created, you better build an extra press box to handle all the scouts that will attend to see all the D1 talent.

SO, WHO CARES. GO. Privates shouldn't even be scheduled on a public school season. You choose to play private so let's keep it that way. DON'T SCHEDULE PRIVATES.