Are there any more good Setters?

K2ruth

In times best Setters were usually the best player on the team. Now the better athletes are developed as Liberos and hitters. Setting has become an afterthought.

In the last 10 years Knoxville has produced only 1 truly standout setter and that was McGinnis this year at Bearden, There have been other good setters, the transfer at Farragut was great, but she was trained elsewhere and not a Knoxville product, but they are usually the fourth or fifth player.

Do you think it is because the coaches can't teach the skill, or do the better players gravitate towards other positions? Personally I feel the Libero is responsible. 10 years ago the great athlete that was not tall enough to play on the net set. Now they play defense.

Never thought of that theory.  Maybe that is part of what you are talking about.  I think for the most part it is a lack of knowledge and ability to teach setting skills from coaches at all levels including club and high school.  Most probably do not know enough about the skill to thoroughly train a setter at a high level. 

The setter is the key (in my opinion, the most important player) to any team and is a very special position.  Training a setter takes ALOT of extra time before and after practice each day.  Not many coaches have the expertise nor want to spend the extra time training setters.  Lets face it, the setter needs to be one of, if not the best athlete on the team.  And as you said k2r most of those play other positions.  But I still think the problem lies more with not enough qualified coaches knowing enough to teach setting the right way.  Just my humble opinion.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.  Be grateful for all of your families and give thanks for that!