Volleyball Rumors

HardAngle

That's humorous, Four Leaf. Based on what many on this board know, you are dead wrong and sounds like you have an axe to grind. Wonder if you can name some girls that he "ran" off? I know some teachers and admins at Catholic and they loved his teaching. Kids loved him too from what I have heard. Specific examples, Four Leaf? Yep, he ruined them all the way to a 3rd place finish in state with only one girl who made All Prep Extra. Many of us saw them play and they were not blessed with athletes...to say the least.

Edited by HardAngle

Clover. The one thing that I think stinks more than anything is a parent or friend of parent that talks bad about someone because their kid or friends kid didn't get what they "thought" they deserved. Is this you??? I know a lot of catholic high parents and not once have I heard anything bad about coach Garland or coach Jones. You sound like you are suffering from the same syndrome the director of KVA/ex bearden coach suffers from. Blaming someone else for the lack of playing time for your kid or friends kid. I love how you say "run off and ruined". That just reeks of no or little playing time so my kid quits or daddy will start his own club!!

I have to agree totally with Hardangle. Garland had almost no talent and took his team to the final four. He must really stink!! wink wink

I agree with Hardangle and BBV both.  I saw Catholic play several times and they definitely were short changed on the athletic side.  He did a very good coaching job with the players that he had.  No 6'6 players at Catholic this year.  He probably should have received more recognition for coach of the year than he did.

It does sound like 4 leaf has a pretty big axe.  Maybe that person should change their name to Paul Bunyan.  I am thinking possibly just another parent who is blinded by their own kid's selfishness to play and not enjoy the success of the team that finished 3rd in the state.  And had a great chance to win it!  Enjoy the journey people.  Just a thought.

It is certainly a stretch to say Garland ruined the program. The program has had pretty good success for a sustained period of time under both Coach jones and coach Garland. FourLeaf does bring up some points that are somewhat true. In a sense he did "run off" a really good player who was more concerned with club play/exposure than school play. She was given a choice and opted to focus on the club route vs. participating with the school team in the pre-season. I know that it is frustrating to the teams and coaches when they know certain players feel playing for the school is detrimental/demeaning to their perceived talent level. Catholic had a girl sign with UT in soccer that never really even played for the school team. I had to ask my wife who she was because I had never even heard her name mentioned. Garland didn't have much of a teaching role because there really was no full-time position for him.

Edited by IrishBBall

Irish basketball, you are way off base as well. Garland didn't "run" Cieslik off as you mentioned as well. She chose to play club ball and has some other circumstances that prevented her from playing high school ball. This is not the forum for discussing those. Garland taught there as a full time teacher and left on his own to teach at UT. He told me he was offered a contract to come back to teach full time but chose not to do so. I'm not sure what you "insiders" know but you are wrong on many levels. Based in how Catholic finished thus year, I doubt very much that the program us "ruined." Sounds like Garland did a good job if maintaining the success Catholic had with Coach Jones. Irish Bball, your wife doesn't know what she is talking about.

Edited by HardAngle

IrishBBall, you are right that Coach Garland did not have his best returning player back this season.  But I do not know that he "ran" her off.  She simply chose to continue training with her club team during the fall.  This all goes back to our previous discussion of high school vs. club.  No matter what she does in club she will never have the same feelings and memories her former teammates had as they succesfully advanced to a great state tournament showing.  A loss for her she will never understand.  Too bad.

Knoxville Catholic has high standards and expectations of its head coaches. Those standards include not only winning, but supporting the feeder schools, keeping the program financially viable, and doing it all in a way that is positive and respectful to all involved.

While Coach Garland made substantial contributions to the program in the two years that he was the head coach and the two years that he was an assistant coach to Coach Jones, some comments appear to undermine the contributions of the players and the condition of the program inherited from Coach Jones.

If you are an outsider, please consider the assumptions you're making before jumping to conclusions.

VSD...If you are saying people that don't go to Catholic are outsiders then that would be me. I have talked to several parents that have children at Catholic. They all have children on the volleyball team. I am "assuming" what they are telling is true. I have no reason to think they are lying. Especially when they all say the same thing. Just as BBV states. After talking to 4 sets of parents and after them telling me the same thing (about how great it was to have Coach Garland) I would "CONCLUDE" that he did a lot for the program and for the girls. But I am an outsiders so take it for what its worth.   

HardAngle- I didn't mention names and said  IN A SENSE he ran someone off. He set parameters that he thought best served the team that didn't align with club volleyball. If you read my post you will clearly see I said it was a stretch to say Andrew ruined the program- I was defending him! I think he did a very good job in getting the program to the state maintaining what Coach Jones had started. My wife never said a word about anything volleyball related....I said a soccer player signed with UT and I asked my wife who she was since I hadn't seen her name regarding Catholic soccer. Please read more carefully before you start stating what you think seemed to be facts. I'm well aware of the teaching situation. To clarify for you, I think both Mike and Andrew have done a very good job and taken full advantage of the players that wanted to be there. The beauty of the high school sport is that you make what you can with what you have and adapt your coaching accordingly.

Beachball- I agree with you 100% but see my statement above about running players off.

I'm obviously a basketball person that cares about all Catholic sports. I started reading these posts and view these posts with a different viewpoint. I don't have a daughter involved and I'm friends with several volleyball coaches so I don't have any agendas. I've coached at a high level and get the club vs. high school debate. I've had several players get recruited strictly based on AAU basketball exposure but don't see how you would want to miss the experience of playing for your school. The club aspect seems to turn it more into a profession/business.