Volleyball Rumors

HardAngle

K2r, I'll respond to your question, but let me state that I do not have any input or inside knowledge into the decision. Having said that, Mike has always shown a deep commitment to KCHS and the volleyball program so it would not surprise me if he were involved in some capacity.

I think that many commenters on this website fail to appreciate the investment Coach Jones made to assure that his successor was successful. Perhaps that's because he never toots his own horn, giving others credit for success and taking the blame when things don't work out.

Coach Jones spent two or three (I forget) years grooming Coach Garland and left at a time when the team was moving down to Class AA from Class AAA and the roster was loaded with experienced talent. The 2013 senior class had only three players but all three played varsity as freshman including a MB and OH who were All-State. The 2014 senior class had 9 very experienced players of which 2 did not play their senior year. Once Coach Jones passed the reins to Coach Garland, he was very careful never to steal the spotlight. However, he still supported the team behind the scenes and could be seen sitting in the stands during matches taking notes. I am sure that he is as disappointed as anyone that things didn't work out with Coach Garland.

I am sure that Catholic will be competitive next year. However, the new coach, whoever that may be, will not have the same benefits as Coach Garland did his first year. There are only five players returning from the State Tournament varsity roster. The JV had a good year so some of them should contribute. The strength of the roster will somewhat depend on how many of the three experienced upperclassman who left the team under Coach Garland decide to return (not blaming Coach Garland for this but just stating the facts). I also don't know how reclassification will effect volleyball next year and how that could impact a team's chances at making the post-season.

In any case, patience will be in order. I just wanted to provide some perspective so that others will not jump to conclusions if next years' team doesn't have the same success as this years' team.

The same could be said for all Catholic sports moving down though, right. You think girls soccer would have back to back titles playing in 3AAA? You think football would be as good in 5/6AAA where they used to be? Jones and Garland always played one if the most difficult schedules in East Tennessee. They wanted to play the best and get ready for the post season. I'm.not sure Garland ran anyone off. There's always attrition with teams and he kept 13-15 every year. Girls and their parents get upset with playing time and leave.

Thanks volleysoccerdad for providing such great insight into KCHS volleyball. Jones and Garland are great friends and I'm sure he knows why Garland left. Glad you're here to make sure we all know what's really happening at KCHS.

As I've noted before, very few people know Jones background. It's extensive. Bottom line is that catholic had 2 great coaches with tons of experience and success and they both are gone. Hmmmmm?

Edited by HardAngle

Catholic has had two great coaches. Coach Jones coached for nine years and retired and Coach Garland coached for five and resigned. Your right, players do leave for all kinds of reasons including playing time, and coaches leave for all kinds of reasons as well. Catholic is a top-notch school with a top-notch athletic department to be envied so I'm sure they'll find another quality coach. Thanks for your feedback.

Catholic may be envied for its resources..money and facilities..but CAK and Webb have had much greater success in winning state titles. Some of the programs at Catholic are not very good at all or are very average, to say the least. I've also heard that the AD at Catholic is not well-liked and like most ADs, is solely focused on football. He is on football staff as well. Envied by public schools for their money but the other numbers don't add up. In fact, one Catholic coach told me that they are the most underachieving athletic dept. in state. He noted leadership.

Catholic may be envied for its resources..money and facilities..but CAK and Webb have had much greater success in winning state titles. Some of the programs at Catholic are not very good at all or are very average, to say the least. I've also heard that the AD at Catholic is not well-liked and like most ADs, is solely focused on football. He is on football staff as well. Envied by public schools for their money but the other numbers don't add up. In fact, one Catholic coach told me that they are the most underachieving athletic dept. in state. He noted leadership.

That's a strong statement!

Wow! BBV summed it up pretty well. Depending on how long a time period you're basing this on I don't know that I would say that CAK and Webb have had much greater success. Webb has the huge advantage of playing in the small school division which, in most sports, guarantees them a spot in the state tournament. They get a bye the first round of the football playoffs then play a team that plays in cut-off jeans. Again, I don't know enough about volleyball competition in their division to speak intelligently about the level of play. We've been very competitive with them in every sport except girls basketball and football to a degree. CAK has never beaten us in football and last year was the first time in 20+ years that I remember them beating us in basketball. We have certainly done well in both boys and girls soccer, tennis, volleyball, baseball vs. CAK. They have had the edge for the last few years in girls basketball but not many schools have two big-time D-1 prospects. Unfortunately our recent success vs. both programs have them cancelling our series. In the past few years we have won the state in football, both soccer programs, and tennis with state appearances in basketball, baseball, volleyball, wrestling, and track. Other than girls basketball and softball what programs do you feel are underachieving?

Wow. I am a Webb fan,but the reason to play volleyball there is for the coaching, not the competition, in every sport. The TSSAA should combine all privates. Webb should win, or be in the the finals every year. They don't have the size to compete with the other schools.

CAK, I strongly disagree. They have ONLY been competitive when they had a 6 foot 6 player in small school, and only one once with her. CAK is improving, but Catholic is better, and better coached. If CAK had Coach Jones or Garland these last four years we would all be saying four peat!

I heard it was Kara Gregg? If so, is Coach Jones going to train her?