Volleyball Rumors

HardAngle

Sorry, I don't really get on here that often. Many of the posts are pretty negative, and I don't really care to engage that much. I did look back at the post, and I will try to respond.

There is a group of developers who are looking to build a sports complex in the north Knoxville area off I-75. It will house 6 basketball courts and between 8-10 volleyball courts. It can also be used as an indoor soccer facilty. Outside will be a baseball/softball quad which can also be used for soccer fields.

They were waiting for the Powell by-pass to open and are scouting locations. The investors have deep connections to some of the top local basketball and volleyball programs. The plan is to build a volleyball club to compliment what Fury does with Basketball.

The basketball component is already committed, as is baseball/softball. The volleyball idea follows the model being used in other markets.

1) limit teams to the number of quality coaches. Don't take Everybody and then stick them with recent high school players or non trained coaches

2) start with Elementary and middle and build upward

3) focus on quality as opposed to quantity

The problem that most clubs, k2 including, has is funding. Their business model is built on numbers not quality. As a result the product gets diluted.

Niow please don't get on here and ATTACK this idea as being stupid, because it is not, I don't know the timing, but it is moving forward. They are involved in all of the sports, including volleyball, right now, making sure there are few growing pains.

I have a question for all of you volleyball experts. I'm obviously a basketball guy but was curious to see your responses. I've noticed basketball numbers shrinking for the girls. We had to disband our JV program at Catholic because we only had 3 freshman tryout. It seems like there are a lot of good athletes playing volleyball, soccer, and cheering.

Does club volleyball totally preclude girls from playing basketball? I understand it for the elite type players but what about the kids getting limited playing time or playing on a "second" team. What per centage of these kids playing club are going on to play in college? If the offerings are mainly at the D2, D3 or NAIA level wouldn't these girls who are good athletes increase their opportunities by playing basketball also?

I am the furthest thing from a volleyball expert but I do have a lot of experience in several youth sports. I currently have a daughter starting her volleyball career at Alliance on a young 1 team.

From what I've seen in the middle Tennessee area, there is a drop in numbers for the "traditional sports" we know in the south......baseball, basketball, football, softball. On the flip side I've seen the numbers increase for ice hockey, volleyball, lacrosse, and soccer.

We all have our preferences but basketball is not what it use to be. Watching a girls (and boys) middle school basketball game are brutal unless your little Timmy or little Jane is playing....and sometimes that can be tough to watch too.

If we come on here and debate another position, this does not mean the idea is stupid. The volleyball part of this will not contain quality competitive players unless K2 and kva close. All the great players in our area play for K2 and they will not be driving to powell to practice volleyball. The are not enough great volleyball players in our area in the first place. say what you want about k2 and their business protocol, they have great coaches and great players. The new club (if it ever happens) will be another cbfo. I don't think it ever happens. Not a stupid idea just my stupid opinion.

Sorry, I don't really get on here that often. Many of the posts are pretty negative, and I don't really care to engage that much. I did look back at the post, and I will try to respond.

There is a group of developers who are looking to build a sports complex in the north Knoxville area off I-75. It will house 6 basketball courts and between 8-10 volleyball courts. It can also be used as an indoor soccer facilty. Outside will be a baseball/softball quad which can also be used for soccer fields.

They were waiting for the Powell by-pass to open and are scouting locations. The investors have deep connections to some of the top local basketball and volleyball programs. The plan is to build a volleyball club to compliment what Fury does with Basketball.

The basketball component is already committed, as is baseball/softball. The volleyball idea follows the model being used in other markets.

1) limit teams to the number of quality coaches. Don't take Everybody and then stick them with recent high school players or non trained coaches
2) start with Elementary and middle and build upward
3) focus on quality as opposed to quantity

The problem that most clubs, k2 including, has is funding. Their business model is built on numbers not quality. As a result the product gets diluted.

Niow please don't get on here and ATTACK this idea as being stupid, because it is not, I don't know the timing, but it is moving forward. They are involved in all of the sports, including volleyball, right now, making sure there are few growing pains.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question for all of you volleyball experts. I'm obviously a basketball guy but was curious to see your responses. I've noticed basketball numbers shrinking for the girls. We had to disband our JV program at Catholic because we only had 3 freshman tryout. It seems like there are a lot of good athletes playing volleyball, soccer, and cheering.

Does club volleyball totally preclude girls from playing basketball? I understand it for the elite type players but what about the kids getting limited playing time or playing on a "second" team. What per centage of these kids playing club are going on to play in college? If the offerings are mainly at the D2, D3 or NAIA level wouldn't these girls who are good athletes increase their opportunities by playing basketball also?

If you talk to most of these so called VOLLEYBALL EXPERTS on here they will fill you with a bunch of crap about how these girls should only play club volleyball because all of the high school coaches are idiots blah, blah, blah.  All of these sports like girls CLUB volleyball and basketball along with the boys sports are the reason for the decline in good high school sports.  These girls and boys go play on CLUB teams where they get to play all the time because they have seven or eight players and mommy and daddy are paying thousands of dollars for little Jimmy and Sally to play.  Then they have to go compete for a starting job on a high school team and they think it going to be given to them because they play CLUB ball for the Elite-K4-Tennessee-Travel-Expert-Power- Travel Volleyball Organization or whatever.  Then about 1% make it to a good D-1 school not to mention the wear and tear it does to a young girl or boy's body playing every weekend. To answer your question Irish if they are die hard CLUB volleyball people you are going to have a hard time getting them to play basketball and it is a shame.  If you want any good answers from anybody on here ask beachboy.

I agree with kr1416. I used to enjoy reading and posting on this board. This past few months it has devolved to a club is awesome, you can only play college if you play club etc. it has also devolved into a flat out assault on highschool coaches. It is wrong.

I played D-1 ball and pro ball. My daughter played at AC and for the Hames club team. She was a two time all state setter and played college volleyball. We loved our high school experience and had fun playing club. They are two different experiences. I coached AAU and won a national championship and coached high school baseball at two powerhouses and at a D-2 college. AAU is much easier to coach than high school. My AAU teams were already good players, and if I needed another bat I went out and got another big bat. High school was hard. Some years the talent level was high, other years the pantry was empty.

I don't know if I would let my daughters play club today. The cost is way to high. The time commitment too great. The travel to exhausting. Playing club has little bearing on the elite player. The big colleges are evaluating the player on size speed and jump.

We are putting too much on these kids. Parents, relax. I stand by my older posts. I thought the AC coaches and coach Jones at Catholic were as good a pure coach that I have observed. I like the Hames, especially Kris. Solid technical coach, she treated my daughter well.

This meaness needs to stop.

I never met the Bearden coach, and can't comment on him. But to say that there are no players other than in west knoxville is just silly. A good coach will make a player better.

It is part of the project. The Sansom complex is being developed near the Worlds Fair sight. It will not be used for volleyball and basketball.

I was contacted last summer about the feasibility of a multi use facility that could compliment with what the Emerald Valley Center is trying to grow and was told that this facility was not to compete with but compliment what HT Hackney was funding.

The fastest growing population center in East Tenn is along the Emory Road corridor. 55000 people live within five miles of the I-75 powell exit. The plans are to develope the Powell by pass along the lines of Turkey Creek. The west Knoxville community is aging out. The young families and young money are moving to north Knox County. It is projected that within the next ten years another 50000 people, primarily thirty year old young families will make the North Knoxville area what West Knoxville was 10-15 years ago.

Our firm determined that the North Knoxville area around the Emory Road exit would be the logical choice to build the facility

Edited by ScottRoss5

Within the next 10 years? My goodness, I probably wont be here to see that. I wish you all the luck with that. K2 and KVA will probably be gone too. I see K2 leaving town after their children graduate.

You will have to have volleyball minds run the club or it will be another cbfo. Believe me, there aren't many volleyball minds out there.

Say what you want about K2 and KVA. Everyone continues to say "they can't run a business" but last time I looked they were still going. Mincy will probably take over KVA because like most people say on this board the "agenda" for the KVA director will be complete. His daughter will be gone and so will he. Mincy would be the most logical choice.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with kr1416. I used to enjoy reading and posting on this board. This past few months it has devolved to a club is awesome, you can only play college if you play club etc. it has also devolved into a flat out assault on highschool coaches. It is wrong.

I played D-1 ball and pro ball. My daughter played at AC and for the Hames club team. She was a two time all state setter and played college volleyball. We loved our high school experience and had fun playing club. They are two different experiences. I coached AAU and won a national championship and coached high school baseball at two powerhouses and at a D-2 college. AAU is much easier to coach than high school. My AAU teams were already good players, and if I needed another bat I went out and got another big bat. High school was hard. Some years the talent level was high, other years the pantry was empty.

I don't know if I would let my daughters play club today. The cost is way to high. The time commitment too great. The travel to exhausting. Playing club has little bearing on the elite player. The big colleges are evaluating the player on size speed and jump.

We are putting too much on these kids. Parents, relax. I stand by my older posts. I thought the AC coaches and coach Jones at Catholic were as good a pure coach that I have observed. I like the Hames, especially Kris. Solid technical coach, she treated my daughter well.

This meaness needs to stop.

I never met the Bearden coach, and can't comment on him. But to say that there are no players other than in west knoxville is just silly. A good coach will make a player better.

you may need to repeat this post...it does get nasty

• 4 weeks later...