Volleyball Rumors

HardAngle

K2R you are partially correct.  Coach Garland helped to get his team to the state tournament this year and to the sectionals last year (losing to Sullivan South the "to be" state champs).  And for sure he did not have the talent of Bearden, Farragut or CAK.  He had some well trained players who played very hard for he and his coaching staff.  However, he did not have an abundance of top level athletes.  Certainly no one taller than about 5'9 maybe 5'8 (real measurements).  He did not have a true middle blocker for the last 2 years.  Must have been good coaching to get by with that, or other teams were not smart enough to take advantage of that deficiency.  However, his best player this year was one of his middleblockers and she should have been an OH.  She bought into his coaching and was very good.  Good player, and good coach.  Oh, if memory serves me correctly, Coach Garland was the head coach at Catholic for the past 2 years, and an assistant the previous 3 years.

I hope that everyone has a wonderful and safe Merry Christmas

K2R you are partially correct.  Coach Garland helped to get his team to the state tournament this year and to the sectionals last year (losing to Sullivan South the "to be" state champs).  And for sure he did not have the talent of Bearden, Farragut or CAK.  He had some well trained players who played very hard for he and his coaching staff.  However, he did not have an abundance of top level athletes.  Certainly no one taller than about 5'9 maybe 5'8 (real measurements).  He did not have a true middle blocker for the last 2 years.  Must have been good coaching to get by with that, or other teams were not smart enough to take advantage of that deficiency.  However, his best player this year was one of his middleblockers and she should have been an OH.  She bought into his coaching and was very good.  Good player, and good coach.  Oh, if memory serves me correctly, Coach Garland was the head coach at Catholic for the past 2 years, and an assistant the previous 3 years.

I hope that everyone has a wonderful and safe Merry Christmas

WELL SAID!!!

BBV. By getting no response out of volleysoccerdad, it looks like he gets your point. You did a good job pointing out what "talent" really means. We all (except volleydad) knew what you ment. Just like we know what Beachboy means. Most of us on here understand the game. Some times you just have to teach people what others know and understand. Good job. Also Good job trying to keep this volleyball board on task. I know you aren't a moderator but you do a great job. Thanks for caring about our sport..

I didn't answer the question because a 2007 college football game has nothing to do with the talent level of Catholic's 2014 volleyball team. Catholic competed in Tennessee Class AA and finished 3rd in the state. Within their class, I have asserted that Catholic was among the six most talented teams in the state class AA. The only team from AA that anyone has cited as having had more talent than Catholic is CAK. I agree. Catholic was 1-5 in matches against CAK this season.

I also agree that front line play was not the team's strength, but passing was the best in the state this year tied with CAK and serving was the best in AA. Catholic beat plenty of teams because of more talented passers and servers.

Once Catholic made it past Sectionals, it was one of six teams to have the talent to make it to the finals with CAK being the most talented. The most talented team not to make the tournament was Sullivan South.

Many seem intent of pushing a narrative to criticize certain coaches, creating hypotheticals to do so and denigrating Catholic's talent level in the process. I am stating, without a doubt, that relative to their classification, Catholic's talent was among the best in the state. Irrelevant comparisons to football games or teams from othe classifications do not change the fact.

Philly. Speaking of getting off task. I think that we have left the initial topic here. So lets get back on topic. If anyone wants to start a new one that includes the talent level at Catholic please do so.

So philly, Beachboy and hardangle. Any new rumors out there? I talked to someone about the Bearden job and he said they will look at applications after Christmas Break.

At CAK there is pressure to have the coach stay. They lose alot of talent, and I don't know if he wants to spend the time rebuilding. He does teach, and they may not agree to have him teach if he does not coach which would keep him coaching. This job does not pay well at all, so the teaching component is heavy. I think he will stay. No one wants to run him off so it is purely his call.

Mike Jones and a young coach to train make the most sense at Catholic. It would be similar to what they do at AC where the old coach mentors the steady stream of young coaches. That would let Catholic hire a young coach and giver her a safety net of Mike's experience. Catholic should be loaded next year. I still thought they had alot of talent this year, just no size.

Not sure about cak but 99% certain Grace job is open but already filled by someone. It's the former club coach of the Doig girl who will be a senior at Grace next year. She's a player. Her mom was the head the past 2 years and resigned and her dad is the AD at Grace. Grace has recently hired admin. and coaching positions with close friends. It's a close group over there. That's the word on street in NW Knox.

Edited by HardAngle

Do you think Mike would stay and mentor a rookie coach?

You also raise an interesting point about teams that lost key players. Of the better teams, Farragut, Bearden, CAK, Catholic, Anderson County and Webb, all but Anderson County and Webb had alot of seniors. Farragut had the super Soph who was their best, Webb had a great frosh, and AC was fresh and soph loaded.