Back-to-back State Champions of the Past: 1998-1999 Milan Bulldogs

AlcoaBasketball

Teams led by star linemen Robert Treadway and Quentin Hodge, along with backs Nick Dunlap and Willie Mobley

Head Coach: Jeff Morris (still there)

1998 Milan Bulldogs, 2A State Champions (13-2)

W 22-21 Jackson North Side

W 26-6 Gibson Co.

W 40-13 Peabody

W 12-3 Westview

W 25-7 Lexington

W 55-0 Camden Central

L 7-19 Mayfield, KY

L 14-28 Huntingdon

W 12-0 Humboldt

W 37-21 McKenzie

Playoffs

W 56-21 Richland

W 26-0 Harpeth

W 17-13 Huntingdon

W 10-0 Union City

W 16-6 David Lipscomb

1999 Milan Bulldogs, 3A State Champions (15-0)

W 35-13 Henry Co.

W 45-12 Jackson South Side

W 33-6 Humboldt

W 28-0 McNairy Central

W 38-0 Oakhaven

W 26-0 Bolivar Central

W 32-0 Huntingdon

W 49-6 Chester Co.

W 48-6 Dyer Co.

W 28-0 Crockett Co.

Playoffs

W 59-8 Montgomery Central

W 45-7 Crockett Co.

W 29-8 Jackson South Side

W 28-6 Covington

W 21-14 Portland

The 1998 team was very good but only had 6 seniors. You can see them all sitting on the front row of the top picture. Some big ole boys. Willie and nick were not the main backs that year. Kelton Roberson was the main back and he was a bruiser.

I know a lot of peoe might not agree with me but the 1999 team might have been the best team in the state that year in all classes. I would have loved to see them play the 5a champ Sevier Co. We two Mr. Football finalists and no one played us close until Portland. We had the number one defense in the state that year as far as points allowed.

The 1998 team was very good but only had 6 seniors. You can see them all sitting on the front row of the top picture. Some big ole boys. Willie and nick were not the main backs that year. Kelton Roberson was the main back and he was a bruiser.

I know a lot of peoe might not agree with me but the 1999 team might have been the best team in the state that year in all classes. I would have loved to see them play the 5a champ Sevier Co. We two Mr. Football finalists and no one played us close until Portland. We had the number one defense in the state that year as far as points allowed.

Portland was a dang good team back then, and they won state in 3A the next year. Of course 1999 was, I think, the last year that Vanderbilt hosted the state championships.

Based on the scores, Milan would definitely have at least competed with the rest of the state champions if they didn't beat them.

One big thing for Milan is stability through the years. Y'all have had 3 head coaches since 1969, most notably John Tucker for 25 years and now Jeff Morris in his 19th season, with 2 years of Dan Bland.

Portland was a dang good team back then, and they won state in 3A the next year. Of course 1999 was, I think, the last year that Vanderbilt hosted the state championships.

Based on the scores, Milan would definitely have at least competed with the rest of the state champions if they didn't beat them.

One big thing for Milan is stability through the years. Y'all have had 3 head coaches since 1969, most notably John Tucker for 25 years and now Jeff Morris in his 19th season, with 2 years of Dan Bland.

Stability means a lot. I think Jim Saterfield started Coaching Trousdale in 1955 to 1979. Clint Saterfield 1980-2004. And Kevin Creasy from 2004-present. 60 years 3 coaches. And some people wonder why Trousdale and Milan become so good.

Stability means a lot. I think Jim Saterfield started Coaching Trousdale in 1955 to 1979. Clint Saterfield 1980-2004. And Kevin Creasy from 2004-present. 60 years 3 coaches. And some people wonder why Trousdale and Milan become so good.

Indeed. And yes, Alcoa won titles before Rankin, but this is already his 9th season here. With that stability, we've been able to stay as good as we are. From 1992-2005, we had 5 head coaches before Rankin's arrival. Rankin was also smart to not shake up the coaching staff. He knew stability would be key to continuing our run at championships every year.

Indeed. And yes, Alcoa won titles before Rankin, but this is already his 9th season here. With that stability, we've been able to stay as good as we are. From 1992-2005, we had 5 head coaches before Rankin's arrival. Rankin was also smart to not shake up the coaching staff. He knew stability would be key to continuing our run at championships every year.

I think Rankin is a heck of a coach, but the top two reasons Alcoa win is money(facilities) and talent. Most schools dont have a city floating bonds for the football team or end less ways to pull intalent. Most have to have that coaching stability in place and wait for that magical class of kids to come through once ever 5 to 20 years. Aloca won before Rankin, and will after also. Edited by UpperCumberlandMan