David Helton

BuckLateral

Wasn't Helton a D-II state champ for The Baylor School For Boys and Girls several years back----at 215?

From the Chattanoogan.com:

Former Baylor Standout David Helton Is Campbell Trophy Winner

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

David Helton, Duke linebacker and previous standout at Baylor has been selected as the Campbell Trophy winner. The Campbell is often called the Academic Heisman.

Mr. Helton is a senior and the leads the ACC in tackles this year.  Nominees numbered 160 nationwide and 17 semifinalists were named and awarded at the Waldorf Astoria in New York City tonight.

Mr. Helton, a Psychology major, was selected by the committee from the National Football Foundation.

Mr. Helton follows other notable Campbell winners  as Peyton Manning, Tim Tebow, Danny Wuerffel and Barrett Jones.

Edited by BuckLateral

David Helton was one heck of a scrambler and cradle-man, personally trained by Mark Leen (Jordan Leen's dad).  He was a 3 time state-medalist, who won his state championship as a junior and then didn't compete as a senior because he wanted to stay healthy for college football. He also gave up his senior state championship to let John Mackey start at 215 (ended up getting second in an upset state finals match, Mackey plays football at Furman University) and B-teamer Barrett Gouger win his state championship at 285 (plays football at Vanderbilt University). Looking forward to watching this classy guy get drafted in the NFL.

David Helton was one heck of a scrambler and cradle-man, personally trained by Mark Leen (Jordan Leen's dad).  He was a 3 time state-medalist, who won his state championship as a junior and then didn't compete as a senior because he wanted to stay healthy for college football. He also gave up his senior state championship to let John Mackey start at 215 (ended up getting second in an upset state finals match, Mackey plays football at Furman University) and B-teamer Barrett Gouger win his state championship at 285 (plays football at Vanderbilt University). Looking forward to watching this classy guy get drafted in the NFL.

I wouldn’t call him a great cradle-man because we all remember what happened when he hit that suicide cradle on TJ Satterfield in the Baylor vs McCallie match. And he didn’t scramble much when TJ Satterfield had him on his back. But congrats to him on the trophy I’m glad to see he’s a great representative of Tennessee wrestling and The Baylor School. 

Good catch Soms. Ol' Tex23 would be proud......................

The article,  by wrestling guru BB Branton,  contains these quotes from Helton and other information pertinent to this Board...........was not aware of the East Ridge side of Helton's family wrestling tree.....

Wrestling and Football: “My days as a wrestler have been a tremendous help with my football career both mentally and physically,†Helton stated. “Wrestling teaches you how to defend your feet and how to use your hands to fend off the opposing players. As a linebacker, I look at football as a series of one-on-one plays and doing my best to take the ball carriers off his feet which is one of the goals as a wrestler.â€

All in the Wrestling Family: The extended Helton family has seven state wrestling championships ... David has 3 ... Uncle Jimmy Hennen (Notre Dame) won his at heavyweight at the inaugural state tourney in 1961 and later played football at West Point ... Jimmy is the brother of Helton's mom, Mary ... two other uncles - Charlie and Lynn Goss - won state crowns for East Ridge in the 1960s ... Charlie at heavyweight in 1964 and Lynn in 1966 and 1967 and led the Pioneers to team titles those two years as well.

What an honor for this young man.  Congratulations on this accomplishment.  You have represented the state of Tennessee and the Baylor School proudly.  We are all proud of you.  Best of luck in the future in what you do.

An outstanding accomplishment for a Tennessee wrestler and we should all be proud.

BuckLateral, HE is related to the Goss family.  I am sure they are taking credit for this.   lol.... 

Edited by facenthecrowd

Maybe our Hall of Famer Tex will place a positive vote on post #6 then? 😘😛ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ˆðŸ˜‡ðŸ˜’😕😧😾🙊🙈🙉ðŸ‘👅🙌ðŸŒðŸŽðŸŒðŸ’⛄🎩âœðŸ’°ðŸ‚🎯🎳✅💠🚽🚮

Edited by Sommers