SCOTT VOGEL OUT AT CBHS

BARTLETTHSGRAD04

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vogel was a bad hire from the beginning.  Tom Moore had a much more established resume and should have been hired last year.  If CBHS tries to hire Tom Moore this could cost them big $$$ because they passed over him the last time around.  With some asking to hire Morris from Milan I ask the question:  has any public school coach ever taken over a large D2 program and played for a state championship? Playing MUS, MBS, Ensworth, etc...every week is like playing small college football and is not for everyone.

Edited by cbg

Vogel was removed because he was a verbally abusive coach, who treated his players like complete crap, and he didn't have the wins to back up his tyrannical and verbally abusive coaching style. Therefore, Fay was forced to fire him as the complaints started to pile up. This firing had less to do with wins and losses, but more to do with Vogel's unpopularity and abusive style. Coach Scott Gray would be a great choice to replace him. Coach Gray is extremely well-liked by the kids at CBHS and has head coaching experience, or if he doesn't want to do it Phil Massey at Baylor might want to come back to Memphis. Massey turned around the program at Baylor. Chubb, who is Catholic could be a thought. Dnt know much about Fay, but Vogel had to go, and I'm sure he regrets letting Locastro slip away. Locastro could come back as head coach too. Just some thoughts.

As an outsider I ask the question of what is wrong with CBHS football? 

1.  The facilities are in place to play for a championship

2.  You are the only all boy's Catholic school in the Memphis area

3.  IMO, it would only take 5-6 additional players each year added to what will already be at CBHS to play for a state championship

4.  Everyone knows that the Memphis area is full of talent so getting players should not be a problem

5.  There is a large Catholic population in Memphis

6.  Is the coaching staff not up to par with the top D2 programs

7.  Will CBHS pay the head coach $125,000+ each year like the top D2 programs to attract a good coach

8.  What is the attitude of the administration and the Board of Directors

I just think that the board of directors has a lot of political interest in their own kids' over there. I think that there are so many weird politics going on over there that it might just be unfixable. I think what Chris Fay ought to do is try to do what is right, and hire a Christian coach who won't play politics and isn't a psycho and emphasizes being a teacher of the game rather than being tyrannical. Phil Massey, Scott Gray, Mark Chubb, Kevin Locastro are the kinds of people Fay needs to hire, but he can't override the boosters probably. The main priority for CBHS needs to be hiring a genuinely good Christian guy, who is a proven winner and is well-liked.

As an outsider I ask the question of what is wrong with CBHS football? 

1.  The facilities are in place to play for a championship

2.  You are the only all boy's Catholic school in the Memphis area

3.  IMO, it would only take 5-6 additional players each year added to what will already be at CBHS to play for a state championship

4.  Everyone knows that the Memphis area is full of talent so getting players should not be a problem

5.  There is a large Catholic population in Memphis

6.  Is the coaching staff not up to par with the top D2 programs

7.  Will CBHS pay the head coach $125,000+ each year like the top D2 programs to attract a good coach

8.  What is the attitude of the administration and the Board of Directors

Do they still have that awful turf field?

I just think that the board of directors has a lot of political interest in their own kids' over there. I think that there are so many weird politics going on over there that it might just be unfixable. I think what Chris Fay ought to do is try to do what is right, and hire a Christian coach who won't play politics and isn't a psycho and emphasizes being a teacher of the game rather than being tyrannical. Phil Massey, Scott Gray, Mark Chubb, Kevin Locastro are the kinds of people Fay needs to hire, but he can't override the boosters probably. The main priority for CBHS needs to be hiring a genuinely good Christian guy, who is a proven winner and is well-liked.

Being a "genuinely good Christian guy" is great but is no guarantee to winning state championships.  How many championships have the men you listed won? I know of a very successful high school coach with multiple state championships that claims you don't win state championships with a team full of altar boy's and you must have a few convicts mixed in to keep everyone honest.

Hahaha, I agree. Talent is half the battle, and the other half is having a competent head coach who knows how to use his players. These are just some guys I know that could bring CBHS back to respectability. And most championship coaches are not despised like the coach who was just removed at CBHS. These coaches I've listed know how to points on the board and have been successfull as head coaches. Gray was successful at Bishop Byrne and Lossouth and has been a longtime assistant at CBHS, and he actually coached Coach Locastro in High School at Bishop Byrne. Coach Chubb is a brilliant defensive mind at MUS, has coached in college, and he's Catholic, which is a big thing at CBHS. Locastro we all know has won games at CBHS and had success overall against GOOD MUS teams and in the playoffs. Furthermore, Locastro did go to two state championships at CBHS. BRING HIM BACK CHRIS FAY. PHIL Massey has gone to two state championships wih Baylor and has made Baylor competitive in the playoffs and Coach Massey was the offensive coordinator for MUS' 2004 and 2005 state championship teams. If I were them, I'd just bring back Coach Locastro; he's a safe choice, and so is Massey.

• 2 weeks later...