Region 1

humorwrestling

Judging by the results, the wrestling seems to have improved from prior years. Not nearly as many pins in the finals as I recall. Still some, but not the majority. If you are good enough to make the region finals you shouldnt be getting pinned.

Congrats to Tennessee High! I know a lot of hard work has gone into that accomplishment....Good Luck to all next week

wrestling has definitely improved in the Region.  So proud of the fight in these young men, this shows the willingness to take on tougher teams out of region and travel offseason and in season pays. 

As a dad yes I'm going to give a shout out to Hunter publicly, your toughness and competitive drive have been an example to your young teammates and have made a big difference in showing these willing young men how to be tough and how to win, you have contributed to the future of the Hill greatly!  Congrats on a terrific Senior Season to remember!

• Upvote 1

11 state medalists.

5 state finalist.

And a state champ!

3 teams in the top 20 of individuals.

One of those finishing as state runner up!

2 teams in the top 6 of state duals.

One finishing in 3rd place!

Not too shabby for little Region One! Congratulations to everyone in the Region One family for an exciting season! Let's keep up the hard work so we can continue to produce these type of results in the offseason!

11 state medalists.

5 state finalist.

And a state champ!

Not too shabby for little Region One! Congratulations to everyone in the Region One family for an exciting season! Let's keep up the hard work so we can continue to produce these type of results in the offseason!

Congrats to SH and Tennessee High. The region is getting better. Wish Da Bears could have gotten to wrestle Tenneessee High in a full team meet. Looking forward to region 1 and other regions next year and hope all shows up and continue what they have been doing.

Maybe we can get that Bradley/THS match up next year, hopefully in the State Duals finals.  I don't think we had anything for them this year, they were clearly the class of the field.  Congrats to BC wrestlers and coaching staff on a job well done.   

As for Region 1, I'll be happy to toot that horn as we have made great strides in moving our corner of the state forward.  Only a few years ago we were the last Region in the state in medal count and my team alone has tripled that medal count and the Region has multiplied it almost times six.  So yes, we've definitely improved. 

As far as I can find through the TSSAA online records, Tennessee High's runner up finish is also the best yet for a Region 1 team (that should probably be confirmed by someone that's been around longer than me since the TSSAA online records only show back to 1998).  Either way we've done well!  As long as we keep challenging each other, things will only get better for our region.

Following is a Region One medal count break down:

Tennessee High: 6

Jefferson Co: 2

Science Hill: 2

Dobyns Bennet: 1

But wait, there's even more good news, of those 11 medalist, 5 will return next year. 

Maybe we can get that Bradley/THS match up next year, hopefully in the State Duals finals. I don't think we had anything for them this year, they were clearly the class of the field. Congrats to BC wrestlers and coaching staff on a job well done.

As for Region 1, I'll be happy to toot that horn as we have made great strides in moving our corner of the state forward. Only a few years ago we were the last Region in the state in medal count and my team alone has tripled that medal count and the Region has multiplied it almost times six. So yes, we've definitely improved.

As far as I can find through the TSSAA online records, Tennessee High's runner up finish is also the best yet for a Region 1 team (that should probably be confirmed by someone that's been around longer than me since the TSSAA online records only show back to 1998). Either way we've done well! As long as we keep challenging each other, things will only get better for our region.

But wait, there's even more good news, of those 11 medalist, 5 will return next year.

Maybe we will get to meet! Bradley will be tough, but we do have several guys to replace. State champs Donnie and Brent are gone. Runner up Joshua is gone. 106 is gone and 3rd ranked heavy weight is gone. 5 very good kids we will miss. I believe it'll be a 3 way race with Bradley, Cleveland and THS. No one will pull away. I'm already ready for next season! Good luck and Ty!!

11 state medalists.

5 state finalist.

And a state champ!

Well Deserved!!!!

More TriCities Coverage...

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Sports/2016/02/20/State-wrestling-championships

Pic

TSSAA STATE WRESTLING 

Science Hill's Bagley captures state championship

JOHNSON CITY PRESSʉۢ UPDATED YESTERDAY AT 10:27 PM

FRANKLIN — Hunter Bagley was happy to escape with the 220-pound title at the TSSAA state wrestling championships on Saturday night after he had rolled over most of his competition on his way to the final round.

The Science Hill senior scored a 2-1 overtime decision over Tyler Barber of Stewarts Creek at the Williamson County Expo Center with all three of the match’s points coming by escape.

“The kid had a lot of resolve down here this weekend,†Science Hill coach Jimmy Miller said. â€œHe’s been in that state medal match before, but this was a bigger match than he’s ever been in. The bottom line was that he found a way to win.â€

Bagley scored first in the second period, but Barber had an escape in the final minute of period 3 to send the match into overtime. He couldn’t hold on literally and another escape by Bagley handed the state championship to the Science Hill star, who improved to 51-2 on the season.

To get to the championship, Bagley took just 42 seconds to pin Parker Gilstrap of Bearden in the opening round. He needed even less time, just 28 seconds, to win his second match over Trevor Cara before going the distance against Peyton Reinert of Beech in a 7-1 quarterfinal victory.

Bagley pinned Isaiah Demello of Independence in 2:28 to set up the championship showdown between he and Barber. 

“He wrestled really well, to pin the kid from Independence in the semifinals and to beat the kid from Beech who he had beaten before in the quarterfinals,†Miller said. â€He won the matches he had to win today.“ 

There were also two local girls’ state champions.

Isabella Badon of Daniel Boone won the title in the girls’ 112-pound weight class. She pinned Jessyca Mumaw of Hendersonville at 5:46 in the championship match.

Allison Davis of Sullivan East pinned Halla Woodson of Dickson County to take the trophy in the 120-pound division. 

Other medalists included Arthur James of Science Hill who took sixth-place in the boys’ 145 division. While not medalists, the Hilltoppers’ William Diehl who won three matches at 138, and William Pridemore and Luke Story, who won two matches at 132 and 126, respectively.

Shawn Ketron of Daniel Boone won three matches at 182, while David Crockett’s Tristan Hefner at 106 and Mike Kromoff at 113 each won two matches.

Tennessee High had six medalists led by Dewey Pendley’s runner-up in the 138 class. Other efforts included Trent Nelson (third at 106), Jeremy Spangler (fourth at 182), Corbin Hurley (fifth at 132), Bryson Henley (fifth at 145) and Jason Johnson (fifth at 152).

Alex Jeffers of Dobyns-Bennett finished state runner-up at 160, losing a 9-3 decision to Matthew Sells of Blackman.

Sullivan East had a pair of runner-up finishes — Logan Chase at 126 and Elijah Hicks at 106 — in the boys’ Class A/AA ranks and heavyweight John Stiltner was fourth, losing to Greeneville’s Evan Grooms in a tough 7-6 decision in the third-place match.

On the girls’ side, David Crockett’s Tiny Shipley  finished third in the 105-pound class where she pinned Kansas Townsend of Happy Valley who finished fifth in the state.

The Lady Warriors had another girl place with Alexis Jaynes fourth in the 138-pound division. Paige Snapp of Crockett was one spot behind her in fifth.

Likewise, Science Hill had two girls place among the state’s best.

Ashley Thompson finished fifth in 165, and Ally Judy was sixth at 155.

The one thing that should catapult region one into a higher level contention would be maintaining and elevating your feeders!!!

From what I've seen with most program's ups and downs is lack of continuity. This is what has happened over the years in the Knoxville area (I.e. pilot), here recently in Williamson Co with the exception of Pete Miller's Summit coming on and suddenly Grinder is back with his Indy team, but ebbs and flows once again. Memphis is a perfect example,,,, but great to see the Arlington machine going strong now. Cordova should be working on it also like Collierville once did, with past coaching changes.

Your region has more enthusiasm than any I've seen with the exception of resurgence just South of you guys in recent years, and of course further south into the Chatt metro FOR EVER!!!

Again, maintain pipelines and be sure your kids come into HS with Complete Unity with HS coaches, or you may have a few dropped batons,,, or medals ;)

Edited by Sommers

Maybe we can get that Bradley/THS match up next year, hopefully in the State Duals finals.  I don't think we had anything for them this year, they were clearly the class of the field.  Congrats to BC wrestlers and coaching staff on a job well done.   

As for Region 1, I'll be happy to toot that horn as we have made great strides in moving our corner of the state forward.  Only a few years ago we were the last Region in the state in medal count and my team alone has tripled that medal count and the Region has multiplied it almost times six.  So yes, we've definitely improved. 

As far as I can find through the TSSAA online records, Tennessee High's runner up finish is also the best yet for a Region 1 team (that should probably be confirmed by someone that's been around longer than me since the TSSAA online records only show back to 1998).  Either way we've done well!  As long as we keep challenging each other, things will only get better for our region.

I think the best part was when Cocke County, Volunteer, Crockett, Daniel Boone, and one of the Morristowns had a person in the third round of consolations. Those teams are coming up as well. It is very fun to watch. Enjoy the off-season and work as hard as possible. This is the time to make state champions

• 8 months later...

Its time to get the Region 1 thread fired back up for the season.  Preseason rankings are in and it appears we have 8 ranked wrestlers.  Understanding that weights will adjust what are Region 1 thoughts on our placers this season? 

Currently Ranked:
​Pendley - THS 3rd

Nelson - THS 2nd

Williams - SH 5th

Story – SH 6th

Diehl – SH 6th

Pendley – THS 2nd

James – SH 4th

Henley – THS 4th

Spangler – THS 3rd

Several other Region 1 wrestlers might create some waves:

Lemons – DB

Scaggs – SH

Cromoff – DC

Bumgarner – DB

Fields – THS

Ferguson – THS

English – Jeff

Pridemore – SH

Rapcan – DB

Lawson – Jeff

Medina – SH

Morely- CoCo

Pinkston – Jeff

​Can Region 1 top the medal count of 11 from last year?

Its time to get the Region 1 thread fired back up for the season.  Preseason rankings are in and it appears we have 8 ranked wrestlers.  Understanding that weights will adjust what are Region 1 thoughts on our placers this season? 

Currently Ranked:

​Pendley - THS 3rd

Nelson - THS 2nd

Williams - SH 5th

Story – SH 6th

Diehl – SH 6th

Pendley – THS 2nd

James – SH 4th

Henley – THS 4th

Spangler – THS 3rd

Several other Region 1 wrestlers might create some waves:

Lemons – DB

Scaggs – SH

Cromoff – DC

Bumgarner – DB

Fields – THS

Ferguson – THS

English – Jeff

Pridemore – SH

Rapcan – DB

Lawson – Jeff

Medina – SH

Morely- CoCo

Pinkston – Jeff

​Can Region 1 top the medal count of 11 from last year?

what weights will change or do you think is wrong?