Region 1

humorwrestling

Last year the Region 1 thread was always one of the hottest.  So lets get it going! 

Looks like the boys from Region 1 are off to a good start this year:

Dobyns Bennett flexing its Region 1 muscles. They look strong in the upper half of the roster.  Will Coach Mann take the trophy back to Kingsport this year?

The boys from Science Hill tearing it up in North Carolina.  As usual. lots of solid wrestlers across the lineup.  Can anyone knock The Hill from the top?

Jefferson County making noise in the Knoxville area with a very promising looking squad.  Are they going to take the trophy back to Jefferson?

Tennessee High School has several top scoring returners to make a run at it again.  Can they take the honors back to Bristol?

Or will it be one of the dark horses such as MoTown West or David Crockett?

Lets get it on!! 

Where you at MarshieBaby and NewCoach? 

Ha - calling me out eh?  well I think Sci hill has some strengths but I am not sure it lines up from top to bottom well enough yet,  the DB match has an element of bonus points will win it because the strength at weight classes wont be beat on either side.  This is becoming a pin to win region, which is how I always taught my two boys to wrestle.  Looking forward to Jeff County Tuesday night cause I have not seen them at all, but my oldest was helping with young wrestlers at the Indian so I got some feedback on DB as if I didn't know them pretty well already...  The out of state competition has been excellent for development and this weekend at Berea was tough top to bottom so great start in gauging individuals and toughening young kids.  Pretty clear the Hill has some outstanding individuals, and some who really finally put it together this year and have reached a new level.  I love to see that kind of development...

Did not get to attend the Indian Classic this season... WHICH REALLY SUCKS! I always like to go watch some of the top competition there. My work schedule has been more than intense lately. I did look at the brackets and noticed my Mowest team got beat up a little bit. By no means is that what our team will look like in Feb. I didn't even recognize the majority of the names in the brackets. It looked like they had alot of their better guys out. I haven't been able to talk to anyone on the coaching staff about why they had so many out but I noticed Broyles was out for whatever reason. The last time I saw him wrestle was against Begely at West and he wrestled very very well. He was actually controlling the tempo of the match before he took a shot from the outside late in the second period. Whitelaw is hurt again. Didn't even get hydrated. I believe they are going to wait and see how bad it is. He may very well get the hydration test done and come back at 285. As of right now West has solid kids that you probably havent seen much of. Barnes who will be at 160 after Christmas is a big one. Really solid wrestler and the sky is the limit with him. Injuries have held him back this season a little bit as well. Davis at 220 is looking really good this year. From what the brackets read it looked he ran into some studs at the Indian Classic. He will probably make it to state this year and see Foster from DB in the Region finals. Hess(FRESHMAN) at 285 who is out with a knee injury is set to come back in Janurary I believe. I'm not sure how a full match would go but he had a tight one with Townsend at the science hill takedown tournament in the preseason. They have  a lot of quesion marks in their line up right now and we will just have to see in Feb.

I remember Townsend and Hess wrestling. Townsend dominated with takedowns with Hess's only 2 point coming off of Townsend's poor arm throw attempt. Townsend won 8-2. But I do believe that Hess will do great things at West. 

As of right now they aren't even sure if he's going to be the guy in Feb. with the possibility of Whitelaw coming in at 285.

Last year the Region 1 thread was always one of the hottest. So lets get it going!

Looks like the boys from Region 1 are off to a good start this year:

Dobyns Bennett flexing its Region 1 muscles. They look strong in the upper half of the roster. Will Coach Mann take the trophy back to Kingsport this year?

The boys from Science Hill tearing it up in North Carolina. As usual. lots of solid wrestlers across the lineup. Can anyone knock The Hill from the top?

Jefferson County making noise in the Knoxville area with a very promising looking squad. Are they going to take the trophy back to Jefferson?

Tennessee High School has several top scoring returners to make a run at it again. Can they take the honors back to Bristol?

Or will it be one of the dark horses such as MoTown West or David Crockett?

Lets get it on!!

Where you at MarshieBaby and NewCoach?

Humor c'mon man - dark horses? Oh wait I almost forgot your skills on drawing people in. But seriously you know this is a 4 horse race as well as I do. Better than just the 3 team race it was last year so things maybe looking up.

I would say any of the 4 can win. I wouldn't put my money on any one team but if I had to pick two to go to state duals I'd say The Hill simply cause they have no holes and great coaching and Jefferson cause they are hungry and put a thrashing on my boy's old team. DB is tough at the upper weights but they got enough at the lower? TN High finally got the right coach but does have he all the pieces he needs in just his first season? Those two questions being answered right could change my two original predictions.

The biggest question still lingers for Region 1 though - can anyone make a good showing in Franklin? That's where it needs to get and hopefully things are improving overall for the region.

Edited by baller95
  • Upvote 1

Tennessee High Vikings will be one of the top teams in region 1 duals and individual

duh, they are quite good in spots and well coached. 

I looked at catholic duals and some of the experienced guys for Jeff in the upper weights were missing hope they get better soon really want to see one of the upper weight matches Tuesday night

I agree with Baller here, once again. And btw I'm happy to see you back even though your boy has moved on. 

I believe Science Hill and Jeff Co are definitely the teams to beat.  No holes in either lineup.  We will see on Tuesday how they match up, even though I'm sure there will be several changes after Christmas to make things even more interesting.

DB performed well at the Indian Classic.  They even had an OW in Begley.  They will definitely make it interesting. 

It doesn't appear TN High is there just yet, too many holes to make a serious run at it.   

And how can you say that MoTown West is not a dark horse?  Have you not been reading NewCoaches' posts??  They have the horses in the stable, just waiting to get healthy and be released on Region 1.