Region 1

humorwrestling

I didn't see the Grundy match but from what I hear, Begley was about to be stacked and called for, and was granted, injury or blood time. This is probably what is being referred to as the Grundy wrestler being robbed. Begley is obviously a very good wrestler but it seems that he takes injury or blood time every match that goes beyond the 1st period. He's actually become quite notorious for it. That's a shame because now everyone is focused on that instead of his wrestling.

As for the OW award, seems like a stretch to me. Just from the stats given by gold, even if no one else was considered, he was second to the wrestler he tied with. And this is obviously not the kids fault, he did his job and won the match, but it certainly makes the tournament director look biased. His wrestler slips through 3 matches by a point, especially after all the questionable rest periods, I mean blood time, and wins the OW. Sorry to be that guy, but I'm just stating what many others are thinking and are too polite to write.

When Begley called for injury time it was after an illegal move that was not called so technically it should have been recovery time. The "stack" was a neck wrench which is illegal! Apparently the fans need to read the rules more than the officials. The second one was called so get over it. It is not a wrestler's fault for bleeding. No matter how good the wrestler is. If this was some jv kid who bleeds every match, nothing would be said. It makes me upset that we give good kids the excuses of blood or injury time when we do not apply it to everyone. You also have to remember a couple years ago the story was the same guy you are calling out tore his ACL is sophomore year at state and tried to wrestle another match. So these injury times or blood time that you are saying may actually be true that he is bleeding or hurt. From what I heard at the tournament there was a tie with more than 5 votes apiece to the 182 and Begley. How dare you even call the TD biased. That is something you do not say about someone. I do not care who the TD is, that is uncalled for and low. Again two of the three wrestlers he won by a point were state finalist. If someone can go through that bracket pinning everyone then let them be my guest. Both the 182 and 160 should have won the outstanding wrestler. No matter who the 160 was that won. But I will say this, I always see complaints about DB. Why is that? Is there something that I am missing with the rest of the region against DB and their wrestlers? Just remember the 182 from WV stalled out against Soloman and should have been in overtime but since you don't know him then it's irrelavent. Get the facts right! Edited by Ijustdontunderstand

Yeah you're right. I agree. They both should have received the OW, Along with the hwt and the 170 and 220. Great idea. Actually Let's give all the finalists OW and a participation trophy.

Sorry if I ruffled your feathers, at least we both agree that you just don't understand. I'm just pointing out the facts. And Isnt it fitting that they serve fish in hospitality.

Yeah you're right. I agree. They both should have received the OW, Along with the hwt and the 170 and 220. Great idea. Actually Let's give all the finalists OW and a participation trophy.

Sorry if I ruffled your feathers, at least we both agree that you just don't understand. I'm just pointing out the facts. And Isnt it fitting that they serve fish in hospitality.

You were not even there! How the crap do you know what you are talking about?! Your sources are dumb. The coaches turned in the ow and the majority wanted the 182 and 160 to win it. End of story. Just because you don't agree or know the rules doesn't mean you can bash any given wreslter.

I have to say I didn't think the match between Jeff co. vs Science Hill would be a blow out. At 195lbs Bagley man handled English.

I agree that this is a closer match is Jeff Co has everyone in the lineup, but the fact remains Science Hill is still the team to beat in Region 1.  We can all play it out on paper and figure out how we should be beating them, but they always show up when it matters, on the mat. 

Glad to see everyone back in action on here! I was surprised at how quiet the Region 1 fans had been!

Tuesday night was a fun one. We were preparing intently for that Jeff matchup, just as we will have to do for DB and TN High. We just teach individual accountability and believe that if everyone does their job, we can be the best team in the region. Tuesday Jeff did FF 3 weights. 2 of those, however, were at 170 and 182. Those are two of our returning region finalists that we feel confident will be able to get us 6 points in most duals. The other was at 106. I understand that some of JC's team was out, but The Hill also had a returning region finalist out of the lineup as well as the starting HWT. Most teams look different in December than in February. That's how this sport works. Bottom line is our kids stepped up and did what they needed to do. Our freshman/JV guys stepped up even when we called for them to go up in weight, Hunter did what he needed to against English, and Cooper did what he needed to against a solid looking freshman. While Hux did look visibly ill, he defeated Yother by 1 point, and Yother is a tough kid who very rarely gives up bonus. I assume it will be close even when Hux is healthy again. Little English didn't make weight. Can only blame him for a JV kid wrestling at 120. I feel like the score was pretty accurate personally, but Jeff may have some stuff hidden away that I do not know about.

The region is becoming more competitive and it's a fun atmosphere. I love all the game planning that comes into these duals with so many young kids being involved with all teams, even though it really stresses out us coaches! It is obvious that none of these teams should be overlooked. It is great to compete against these teams because the coaches are great people!

As for this Palmer stuff, I wasn't at the Indian Classic, but we have to all be honest with ourselves sometimes. The kid uses injury time more often than most wrestlers, to say the least. I've seen it in many of his matches. While I have never seen him use it to keep himself from going into danger, I have seen him take time to catch his breath on many occasions. Unfortunately, he has a reputation for that now. But hey, I had a buddy like that in college that would tell you straight up he did on purpose. Oh well. If he does, he does. But I do know that he made an effort to get better this summer through a lot of traveling to tough competition. It seems that he has gotten away from the image of being a "one trick pony" and really stepped up his game! If he got through that many state medalists to win the IC, he had to have scored points somehow. Calling injury time at strategic times may get your breath back, but it doesn't earn you any points. Great tournament win! Congrats also to Dean for making it to the finals! He seems to be having a good season at 170. Also congrats to Dewey Pendley from TN for making the finals! Those 3 must have had a great weekend against what seemed to be very tough competition and look to be top contenders for region champions at their respective weight classes.

Edited by KingGreene

I was especially proud of the Liberty Bell Middle kids who represented Topper wrestling with outstanding performances Tuesday night.

Freshman Arthur James bumped up to 145 and got things rolling with a quick pin in the first match of the dual.

Freshman Josh Green battled for six minutes, and instead of going on defense with a lead was able to score a takedown in the closing seconds of his 152 match to secure a 10-6 victory. We knew these two weights would be crucial and those two kids stepped up.

Sophomore Cooper Williams was able to battle and get a win at 113 against a VERY tough Burns kid from Jeff County. It was a great match with several shifts in momentum. I'm incredibly proud of the growth he's shown over the past two years.

Freshman Luke Story was able to seal the dual with a major decision at 120. I would have liked to have seen him go against young English, a very tough kid who put it on him in the takedown tournament. It is a match Luke will have to find a way to win if he's going to keep progressing.

Proud of my Bellions. Looking forward to sending Jimmy and Caleb four or five more varsity ready kids next year.

I was proud of Hunter Bagley. He responded like a kid who has a real state medal as opposed to a theoretical one. I guess some of our friends west of Johnson City are going to have to rethink their definition of what a joke is.

Proud of the entire Topper squad Tuesday night. They know that the target's on their backs, and we've preached to them about how they're going to choose to respond. Well, they did. It was good to see them stand in the line of teams who have risen to the occasion over the years. There may come a day when we get knocked off the top of the heap in region 1; it's happened for a few brief periods in the past fifteen or so years, but it won't happen without a fight. And we won't make excuses about how many matches we had to forfeit or who was out of the lineup. We'll come to the table and play the hand we're dealt like we always have. That's the Topper way.

I love the new atmosphere in the region, and new coaches in the area like Tim Marshall and Logan Hollingshead who have vision and determination, work hard to do things right, and don't base their chances on farcical notions of real competitiveness. It's good to be pushed by people for whom you have absolute respect.

When I'm tired I think sometimes that I've gone as hard as I can for as long as I can, and think about stepping back some more. Then I see our kids step up, and I'm pulled right back in. On Tuesday night, the old Bellions made me think that I might have a little more in the tank.

Edited by ArtusCimber

Glad to see everyone back in action on here! I was surprised at how quiet the Region 1 fans had been!

Tuesday night was a fun one. We were preparing intently for that Jeff matchup, just as we will have to do for DB and TN High. We just teach individual accountability and believe that if everyone does their job, we can be the best team in the region. Tuesday Jeff did FF 3 weights. 2 of those, however, were at 170 and 182. Those are two of our returning region finalists that we feel confident will be able to get us 6 points in most duals. The other was at 106. I understand that some of JC's team was out, but The Hill also had a returning region finalist out of the lineup as well as the starting HWT. Most teams look different in December than in February. That's how this sport works. Bottom line is our kids stepped up and did what they needed to do. Our freshman/JV guys stepped up even when we called for them to go up in weight, Hunter did what he needed to against English, and Cooper did what he needed to against a solid looking freshman. While Hux did look visibly ill, he defeated Yother by 1 point, and Yother is a tough kid who very rarely gives up bonus. I assume it will be close even when Hux is healthy again. Little English didn't make weight. Can only blame him for a JV kid wrestling at 120. I feel like the score was pretty accurate personally, but Jeff may have some stuff hidden away that I do not know about.

The region is becoming more competitive and it's a fun atmosphere. I love all the game planning that comes into these duals with so many young kids being involved with all teams, even though it really stresses out us coaches! It is obvious that none of these teams should be overlooked. It is great to compete against these teams because the coaches are great people!

As for this Palmer stuff, I wasn't at the Indian Classic, but we have to all be honest with ourselves sometimes. The kid uses injury time more often than most wrestlers, to say the least. I've seen it in many of his matches. While I have never seen him use it to keep himself from going into danger, I have seen him take time to catch his breath on many occasions. Unfortunately, he has a reputation for that now. But hey, I had a buddy like that in college that would tell you straight up he did on purpose. Oh well. If he does, he does. But I do know that he made an effort to get better this summer through a lot of traveling to tough competition. It seems that he has gotten away from the image of being a "one trick pony" and really stepped up his game! If he got through that many state medalists to win the IC, he had to have scored points somehow. Calling injury time at strategic times may get your breath back, but it doesn't earn you any points. Great tournament win! Congrats also to Dean for making it to the finals! He seems to be having a good season at 170. Also congrats to Dewey Pendley from TN for making the finals! Those 3 must have had a great weekend against what seemed to be very tough competition and look to be top contenders for region champions at their respective weight classes.

Agree with all except "Little English didn't make weight. Can only blame him for a JV kid wrestling at 120"

No way for you to know but- Griffin was not expecting to wrestle and has not wrestled since he lost the wrestle off DEC 02. The starter was a "no show" for the pre-match bus ride.

Griffin English was told 30 Min before he departed that he was weighing in. And even if he made wieght, he was splitting matches with a freashman (the kid that wrestled against Science Hill) and would have wrestled So Green.

He dumped as much ballast as he could in the short time he had to do so.

But with no prior expectation or notification that he was wrestling; its his fault but not entirely his fault. He loves to wrestle and has never missed weight.

And he wouldn't have wrestled Science Hill if he had made weight.

Edited by BlackknightGATA

Tennessee High representing Region 1 in Chattanooga this weekend at the Bradley Invitational. After day 1, we sit at 5th in the team race (with 11 wrestlers). We have Trent Nelson, Corbin Hurley, and Austin Hagerman all in Championship Semifinals. All 8 other wrestlers are still alive in the consolations.

1. Bradley Central BRCE 112.5

2. Father Ryan FARY 111.5

3. Tullahoma TULL 81.5

4. Commerce Hs COHS 75.0

5. Etowah ETOW. 69.0

5. Tennessee TENN 69.0

7. Hixson HIXS 68.0

8. Heritage HERI 58.5

9. William Blount WIBL 57.5

10. Huntsville HUNT 53.5

11. Knoxville Halls KNHA 53.0

12. Chattanooga Central CHCE 51.0

13. Blackman BLAC 50.0

14. Notre Dame NODA 43.5

15. Bearden BEAR 40.0

16. Stewarts Creek STCR 39.0

17. Scottsboro SCOT 36.0

18. Franklin FRAN 32.5

19. Clarksville CLAR 30.0

20. Maryville MARY 30.0

21. East Ridge EARI 29.0

22. Dickson Co. DICO 27.0

23. Sevier Co. SECO 25.0

24. Pierce County HS PCH 19.0

25. Union Co. UNCO 19.0

26. Knoxville Catholic KC 17.0

27. East Hamilton EAHA 15.5

28. Hardin Valley Academy HVA 15.0

29. Karns KARN 9.0

30. Lebanon Leb 0.0

• Upvote 1

Now the Season has begun! amazing how fast it passes half gone already...  So now we should be able to make some regional weight predictions right? Narrowing down to two.

106 between Williams and Nelson If Williams drops

113 Bynum and Williams if Williams doesn't drop

120 I don't know enough

126 Yother and who?

132 Hurley and - I don't know enough

138 Pendley and who?

145 Jeffers and who?

152 Griffen and who?

160 Begley and who?

170 Dean and Rolston

182 Nyguen and who?

195 Bagley and English

220 Kalageros ( if he comes back) and who?

285 IDK

Anybody want to fill in the blanks and or have other opinions would like to see them.