4-Timers

mat73557

Here are all the 4 timers or 5 timers in TN wrestling history.  This list doesn't have their weights but you can look up what weight they wrestled each year on the TSSAA website if you want to:

5 - Zach Watson, Baylor (2008-09-10-11-12)

5 - T.J. Duncan, McCallie (2007-08-09-10-11)

4 - Stuart Doster, Baylor (2008-09-10-11)
4 - Jordan Leen, Baylor (2001-02-03-04)

4 - Bailey Whitaker, Baylor (2005-06-07-08)
4 - Matt Keller, Bradley Central (1999-00-01-02)
4 - Phillip Simpson, Montgomery Bell Aca. (1998-99-00-01)

4 - Ryan Scott, McCallie (2001-02-03-04)
4 - Martin Francis, Notre Dame (1969-70-71-72)
4 - Campbell Lewis, Soddy-Daisy (2009-10-11-12)

and of course this year added to the list 

4- Chris Debian Cleveland (2012-13-14-15)

Edited by durdon

Just curious....who are the four-time state champs who competed above 138 their entire high school career?

Are there any?

That doesn't happen or hasn't happened yet. Most came in as 106 or 113 lbers with the exception of Tj Duncan. Ryan Parker will be the first. It will be rare when someone starts 138-160 and wins 4.

• Upvote 1

That doesn't happen or hasn't happened yet. Most came in as 106 or 113 lbers with the exception of Tj Duncan. Ryan Parker will be the first. It will be rare when someone starts 138-160 and wins 4.

Matt Keller won his first as a freshman at 119 lbs. According to TSSAA records. I believe he beat Corey Brewster in the finals that year at the old MacCellan gym.

Yes Keller was 119,125,130 and 135. Nobody has ever started in the middle above 138. It's even harder now that they did away with a weight in the middle. Although with all the different divisions it will happen I'm soon I'm sure. There are a lot of variables that have to be in place. If it was all together that list would only be a few kids.

Assuming he stays healthy, I think Sammy Evans will do it.

Ok I'll be the one to say it. He may win 4 titles but it'd be in small school division so, to me, and a lot of others, it'd have an asterisk beside it. Now that said, had he been in triple A I think he would be able to do it there. The competition is greatly weaker than in triple or div2.

It would be interesting to introduce a Grand Championship and see if we have another for timer like Francis some 45 years ago.

Interesting point Soms. Martin Francis is, and given the current state of affairs is likely to remain, the only four time champion when both public and private schools wrestled for the traditional title together. Francis was the first in TSSAA history to do so. It was 19 years later, 2001, before Phillip Simpson became the second . If durdon's list is accurate, in the 14 years since 2001, during the split era, 9 wrestlers have done it--- -----six from D-II and three from D-I.

Ok I'll be the one to say it. He may win 4 titles but it'd be in small school division so, to me, and a lot of others, it'd have an asterisk beside it. Now that said, had he been in triple A I think he would be able to do it there. The competition is greatly weaker than in triple or div2.

He is in small school, and that makes it a lot easier. This year Nick Boykin won large school and Sammy dominated him all last summer. It would probably be a lot tougher on him this year because of his knee injury, but no matter the division I think Sammy Evans is gonna be a four timer in Tennessee.

He is in small school, and that makes it a lot easier. This year Nick Boykin won large school and Sammy dominated him all last summer. It would probably be a lot tougher on him this year because of his knee injury, but no matter the division I think Sammy Evans is gonna be a four timer in Tennessee.

Brent Metcalf teched Darrian Caldwell in the preseason all star dual, but what happened at the national finals?