Knox County schools State Tournament elimination rumors.

EBTHER

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's more info.

TSSAA has approved a schedule where regional games missed due to inclement weather can be played tomorrow, Thursday and Friday if the weather permits. With this plan, the sectional would be scheduled for Saturday.

TSSAA has indicated that that they will allow the Knox County Schools with as much flexibility as possible to keep students safe without having to forfeit games. If conditions tomorrow don’t allow for the games to be played, the next plan of action will be to possibly move the sectional game to Sunday or Monday.

With public schools closed tomorrow and more snow forecasted for Wednesday night thru Thursday morning, it looks a thought there is a good chance they will be closed again Thursday as well. I am not sure on this but if public school is closed due to inclimate weather, is it true that the gym would not be allowed to open that night? If that all happens then it is possible that the region quarter finals would possibly not start being played until Friday night. Not sure if all the games can be played by Saturday night. Quarter finals, semis and region championship and then the sub state games all needing to be played by Saturday. It would appear that there is a good possibility that they may run out of time. Hopefully this scenario will not play out but seeing the weather forcast for the rest of the week it would appear that it may become a reality. It will be interesting to see what decision the TSSAA would make at that time.

The Knox County board of education is handicapping not only their own athletes but schools in other districts as well. If Knox County doesn't allow their teams to play over the next two days they should have to forfeit. You can't tell me places like Cumberland County which had 20,000 without power could get in a quarterfinal game by now but Knox schools couldn't? What about Cosby and more rural areas like that? Gatlinburg in the MOUNTAINS! Other schools should not be punished because of Knox County and their leadership.

Should the players on these teams that have run miles of suicides, practice shooting thousands of freethrows and spent countless hours in the gym getting ready for the post season run be denied their opportunity at a gold ball because of weather? Something completely out of their control? I don't know so help me out on this, These other areas that are still playing, have they been closed all of these days that Knox county has in the past two weeks? Do those county school boards allow their gymnasiums to open for games on snow days?

This is not just a Knox county issue. I know that Gatlinburg Pitman is in the mountains in Sevier county and they have not played there quarter final game yet against Scott County High. Kingston which is a roane county school has not played their game against Fulton yet either so it must not just be a Knox County ruling.

CAK and Union County have both advanced in regional play. Is it fair to them because these other county schools are out due to weather and can't play? Should they be allowed to advance if the others have to forfeit?

The tournament is about the kids that have done all of the work so they should not be punished because of some untimely weather and policies set by the county school boards. This will be a tough ruling for the TSSAA to make if it comes down to it.

Knox County needs to toughen up and "ride your bike without a helmet" every now and then. Cumberland County is in a state of emergency, but we played a home regional last night in Crossville and went to Cleveland tonight for another.  Our schools are closed all week due to the weather.  Practice only missed on Saturday, day of the ice storm.  

Should the players on these teams that have run miles of suicides, practice shooting thousands of freethrows and spent countless hours in the gym getting ready for the post season run be denied their opportunity at a gold ball because of weather? Something completely out of their control? I don't know so help me out on this, These other areas that are still playing, have they been closed all of these days that Knox county has in the past two weeks? Do those county school boards allow their gymnasiums to open for games on snow days?

This is not just a Knox county issue. I know that Gatlinburg Pitman is in the mountains in Sevier county and they have not played there quarter final game yet against Scott County High. Kingston which is a roane county school has not played their game against Fulton yet either so it must not just be a Knox County ruling.

CAK and Union County have both advanced in regional play. Is it fair to them because these other county schools are out due to weather and can't play? Should they be allowed to advance if the others have to forfeit?

The tournament is about the kids that have done all of the work so they should not be punished because of some untimely weather and policies set by the county school boards. This will be a tough ruling for the TSSAA to make if it comes down to it.

Incorrect. GP defeated Scott High 95-66 on Monday evening at Gat-Pit High.

well said tenntwin. it's pretty bad here in white co. also. not hardly as bad as it is up there. we usually play our games even if the school is closed. i understand it might send the wrong message. but from my understanding the girls region games have to go on with only one day for wiggle room and that is friday. also my understanding that the girls have to play there subtate games on sat. night no matter what. the boys have more time to play with cause there state is a week later. don't know if it's true or not but i heard tonight that they might go with seedings in the region if we get snow. that would be highly unfair. i would think that the games need to be played. sounds like knox co. needs to get with the program.

I get your point, but your facts are not correct. GP defeated Scott and Kingston can't play Fulton because Fulton isn't allowed to compete. The same situation exists in region 1AAA where South Doyle's game at Science Hill has put the entire girls' region one day behind (all the other teams played their quarterfinal games on Monday).

I am all for allowing every opportunity for Knox County teams to be allowed to compete, but at some point there simply may not be enough time left to get all of the games played. If this happens, I don't think that teams that were ready to play should be penalized because Knox County's school board and administrators have decided that their athletes cannot compete.

Edited by bballfanforever

Nobody in west tn has gone to school in several days... But as far as I know all of the region quarterfinals have been finished because the administration decided to let them play the games. Saying it was different putting all of your students on busses to come to school and letting fans come at their own desire. Both coaches had to agree as well I'm sure