CPA vs creekwood

Bamapappy

CPA ought to reconsider its mission. It's arrogant to say your teams are better because you have better coaches. It hypocritical to claim your school doesn't recruit even though your best players year-in and year-out are transfers. It's cowardly to refuse to play in a division with other schools that recruit openly so you can dominate a division that doesn't. And it's irrelevant what happens at other schools anyway...claiming "everybody does it" doesn't cut it for a school that's supposed to be Christ-centered. CPA speaks with a forked-tongue. So go on praying before tip-off. Cover your walls with sanctimonious epitaphs. Have your little chapel services and stand on your street corners thanking God every day you aren't like all those public school heathens. Just know this: We heathens know you are talking the talk because you don't walk the walk. In my reading of the New Testament, the only people Jesus had little tolerance for were a certain group of holier-than-thou Pharisees. Seems winning was all they cared about too.

Barry, I'm sorry that this is the impression you've gotten of CPA. I assure you, it's an institution that is made up of sinners and imperfect people, just like the rest of the world (public and private). No one at CPA is any better than anyone at a public school or anywhere else, and if they've made you feel that way, that's just evidence of that fact.

Part of the mission of the school is to live and interact in the world at large (public and private) and not just in a small enclave of wealthy private schools. That's why, as I understand it (I am not officially affiliated with the school, just an alum), CPA is not interested in moving to Division II. I don't think it's because they want to dominate the public schools. Shoot, they'd be dominating if they were in D-II too, right (at least in hoops)?

As far as I know, CPA complies with all TSSAA rules and regulations. I would be very disappointed to find out that they weren't. I understand that they've got kids on the basketball team from out of town and out of state. I'd like to think that parents of a kid who's talented at basketball seek out a great basketball program for their kid and that having that kind of program has attracted these kids to CPA, just like, for instance, the Shelbyville girls program attracted kids there back in the day.

Having said all of this, I do understand the frustration of public schools that compete with the privates. It's hard to argue that it's a level playing field, in terms of resources. If TSSAA does decide to segregate public and private (and I think they ultimately will), I'll understand.

Finally, thanks to Creek Wood for doing a great job hosting the tourney. Friday night was the best atmosphere for a high school basketball game that I've ever seen. Maybe we will see a rematch in Murfreesboro - I'm sure it would be a great game!

CPA ought to reconsider its mission. It's arrogant to say your teams are better because you have better coaches. It hypocritical to claim your school doesn't recruit even though your best players year-in and year-out are transfers. It's cowardly to refuse to play in a division with other schools that recruit openly so you can dominate a division that doesn't. And it's irrelevant what happens at other schools anyway...claiming "everybody does it" doesn't cut it for a school that's supposed to be Christ-centered. CPA speaks with a forked-tongue. So go on praying before tip-off. Cover your walls with sanctimonious epitaphs. Have your little chapel services and stand on your street corners thanking God every day you aren't like all those public school heathens. Just know this: We heathens know you are talking the talk because you don't walk the walk. In my reading of the New Testament, the only people Jesus had little tolerance for were a certain group of holier-than-thou Pharisees. Seems winning was all they cared about too.

This has to be one of the all time best post on coach t. You hit the nail on the head.

State wide everyone knows what CPA is. Everyone knows that Drew Maddox is a hypocrite and the program is a shame.

One of my greatest joys was watching Southside beat them last year.

Barry, I'm sorry that this is the impression you've gotten of CPA. I assure you, it's an institution that is made up of sinners and imperfect people, just like the rest of the world (public and private). No one at CPA is any better than anyone at a public school or anywhere else, and if they've made you feel that way, that's just evidence of that fact.

Part of the mission of the school is to live and interact in the world at large (public and private) and not just in a small enclave of wealthy private schools. That's why, as I understand it (I am not officially affiliated with the school, just an alum), CPA is not interested in moving to Division II. I don't think it's because they want to dominate the public schools. Shoot, they'd be dominating if they were in D-II too, right (at least in hoops)?

As far as I know, CPA complies with all TSSAA rules and regulations. I would be very disappointed to find out that they weren't. I understand that they've got kids on the basketball team from out of town and out of state. I'd like to think that parents of a kid who's talented at basketball seek out a great basketball program for their kid and that having that kind of program has attracted these kids to CPA, just like, for instance, the Shelbyville girls program attracted kids there back in the day.

Having said all of this, I do understand the frustration of public schools that compete with the privates. It's hard to argue that it's a level playing field, in terms of resources. If TSSAA does decide to segregate public and private (and I think they ultimately will), I'll understand.

Finally, thanks to Creek Wood for doing a great job hosting the tourney. Friday night was the best atmosphere for a high school basketball game that I've ever seen. Maybe we will see a rematch in Murfreesboro - I'm sure it would be a great game!

I have nothing against you CarrolJamieson but you are obviously very nieve' as to what is, and has been going on at that school when it comes to recruiting. CPA has become a prep school in every sense of the word, except the fact they want to play in a Div of schools that are of lesser competition.  Their football team won a state championship, their women's basketball team is at the top every year and they are undefeated this year, their men's program is what it is, their golf team win's state championships... etc... etc... etc...  There is alot of recruiting going on here and everyone including the T$$AA knows it.  Its unfair and against the rules so how can we be teaching our children the bible there on one hand yet we have a "win at all cost" attitude when it comes to sports?  Recruit players to win a gold "object" ?  hmmm something about that way of thinking and carry a christian banner doesn't sound right to me, what about you?  The sledding would be much tougher if they were in Div II and they all know it.  That is why they haven't made the move, they want the gold trophies in their halls of the school.  It would be much more difficult to win against BA, MBA, Ensworth etc. year in and year out as opposed to the public school's that have to abide by rules that T$$AA sets down.  No one in the state is pulling for a private school to win a single game in any sport except for those affiliated with the private school.  They should all be either made to play at the highest level T$$AA has in each sport if they are Div I or be made to go to Div II. in my opinion.  

This has to be one of the all time best post on coach t. You hit the nail on the head.

State wide everyone knows what CPA is. Everyone knows that Drew Maddox is a hypocrite and the program is a shame.

One of my greatest joys was watching Southside beat them last year.

Sorry but you need to refocus your life if that was one of your all time highs

...I assure you, it's an institution that is made up of sinners and imperfect people, just like the rest of the world (public and private)...

Part of the mission of the school is to live and interact in the world at large (public and private)... 

1.  Which is not to be used as an excuse to not repent of actions when these actions do not line up with the standards of the Word of God which is the calling of the school.  Too many times this is used to justify, defend  or excuse (e.g. nobody is perfect).

2.  Which is exactly why "how a program operates" must line up with the mission.  If not about winning, why continue to operate in a manner that only infuriates those you say CPA is trying to interact with?  This only demonstrates a lack of understanding of what testimony really means.  The Bible teaches we are to avoid even those things that have the appearance of wrong doing for the sake of testimony. 

These are 2 key reasons why CPA is viewed in the fashion with which they currently are - lack of humble repentance and lack of understanding of testimony.  It has become about the business of school (image and keeping our customers happy - parents of students) than the mission of the school.  Yes, it is a fine balance, but a balance that must be maintained if the mission is to be upheld.  Nobody likes when someone says they are something when the actions do not support it, this only creates hypocrisy.  And no, this is not saying one must apologize for being successful.   

Now would be a GREAT time for coachrus, coach77, or sportsnerd, whichever one of you it was that provided that stats/roster for the football team regarding how long they had been in the school,  provide the same facts for the basketball team, rather than making up a new screen name to hide and defend.  Let's face it, the facts for basketball don't support what you want to believe, and yet this one team and sport is allowed to continue to tarnish the reputation of what was once a great school legacy.

I will start with some of the standouts over the years:

Bradshaw 11

Lindsey 8

Bonds 8

Blackwell 8

Campbell 8

Ragsdale 8

Allsmiller (can't remember year, but played for Maddux in AAU-wanted to play for him in HS)

There are already rumors of a kid from BA, and one from out sof state coming for BB next year. Will probably be announced in May, long after the normal enrollment process is over.

And please keep in mind, CPA is a school, and basketball should be an extra-curricular.  NOT the reason you choose CPA, if hte school is to remain true to its mission.

1. Which is not to be used as an excuse to not repent of actions when these actions do not line up with the standards of the Word of God which is the calling of the school. Too many times this is used to justify, defend or excuse (e.g. nobody is perfect).

2. Which is exactly why "how a program operates" must line up with the mission. If not about winning, why continue to operate in a manner that only infuriates those you say CPA is trying to interact with? This only demonstrates a lack of understanding of what testimony really means. The Bible teaches we are to avoid even those things that have the appearance of wrong doing for the sake of testimony.

These are 2 key reasons why CPA is viewed in the fashion with which they currently are - lack of humble repentance and lack of understanding of testimony. It has become about the business of school (image and keeping our customers happy - parents of students) than the mission of the school. Yes, it is a fine balance, but a balance that must be maintained if the mission is to be upheld. Nobody likes when someone says they are something when the actions do not support it, this only creates hypocrisy. And no, this is not saying one must apologize for being successful.

Now would be a GREAT time for coachrus, coach77, or sportsnerd, whichever one of you it was that provided that stats/roster for the football team regarding how long they had been in the school,  provide the same facts for the basketball team, rather than making up a new screen name to hide and defend.  Let's face it, the facts for basketball don't support what you want to believe, and yet this one team and sport is allowed to continue to tarnish the reputation of what was once a great school legacy.

Bradshaw 11

Lindsey 8

Bonds 8

Blackwell 8

Campbell 8

Ragsdale 8

Allsmiller (can't remember year, but played for Maddux in AAU-wanted to play for him in HS)

There are already rumors of a kid from BA, and one from out sof state coming for BB next year. Will probably be announced in May, long after the normal enrollment process is over.

And please keep in mind, CPA is a school, and basketball should be an extra-curricular.  NOT the reason you choose CPA, if hte school is to remain true to its mission.

Give teams in their district the same recruits and see who plays for second place then. In basketball you don't need but a couple of top 50 players in the nation to win a state championship.

As a complete outsider that never attended Creekwood or CPA I feel confident in saying that CPA has the best coaching staff in Tennessee. The staff showcases the players at the national level and therefore the program receives national accolades. If families are moving to the Nashville area and have a child that is a good player they seek out the best available program. That program could be a public school program or a private school program. For those that are asking for all public & private schools to be in different classifications I ask the question; when public & private school graduates go to college do they attend different colleges or are they mixed together? When they enter the job market will the public school graduates have to compete for jobs against the private school graduates or just public school graduates? IMO, all public & private schools should compete against each other if for no other reason than to show everyone that at it's core it is just kids playing basketball.

Wow...this is so ridiculously far from reality I have no clue how to respond.

Now would be a GREAT time for coachrus, coach77, or sportsnerd, whichever one of you it was that provided that stats/roster for the football team regarding how long they had been in the school, provide the same facts for the basketball team, rather than making up a new screen name to hide and defend. Let's face it, the facts for basketball don't support what you want to believe, and yet this one team and sport is allowed to continue to tarnish the reputation of what was once a great school legacy.

Bradshaw 11

Lindsey 8

Bonds 8

Blackwell 8

Campbell 8

Ragsdale 8

And please keep in mind, CPA is a school, and basketball should be an extra-curricular. NOT the reason you choose CPA, if hte school is to remain true to its mission.

For what's its worth, I was listening to Bill Kings radio show on 95 am ESPN in Nashville this morning. He is on from 9-10 am. Bill is a long time college sports expert. I believe he is friends with Coach M at CPA.

The topic of Vandy basketball came up. Bill said he usually defends Stallings, but he said that if Vandy ever wants to make it to the big dance every year, they need to replace Stallings with Maddux for the simple reason that Maddux is known for his recruiting and would improve Vandys talent immediately.

Now, I don't believe Bill would intend to ever disparage Coach M, in fact this was intended to be a complement. However, when someone with the background and respect that Bill King has says your high school coach recruits better than the coach at your local D1 college, then can the CPA faithful see why everyone outside of Brentwood feels the way they do about CPA? Again, this was not someone calling a radio show or someone posting a rant on Coach T, this is a respected sports authority! The only way King could say this is in reference to CPA and the talent he has had there and the talent there now.

I know some at CPA have admitted they need to move to D2, others say they play by the rules and unless someone proves otherwise to TSSAA, then just get better or shut up. If CPA fans, admin, parents were really concerned about playing where they should be playing, they should demand the athletic director or school president pick up the phone today to the TSSAA office and go D2. You don't need to wait till next classification period or when the TSSAA gets around to splitting public/private, do it now.