CPA vs creekwood

Bamapappy

Coach, I appreciate your opinion and there is definitely some truth in what you say.

If you were given immediate control of the CPA athletic department, what immediate changes would you make? How would you fix the problems that you see with the basketball program?

1.  Be a thorough, unbiased investigation, not punishing people for being honest (being viewed as a rat, hater, losing a job, etc.), but rewarding people for being honest.  Sadly, the ones who need to be the most honest have the most to lose and that is hardly ever a good combination, but there are ways to piece it all together.  

2.  Review all practices and change or eliminate those that do not line up with the school's mission or creates potential problems (e.g. elite camps, open gym on Sundays, coach working in admissions). 

3.  If staying D1 because it actually does want to be in line with the school's mission, then implement policies to show all is above board and beyond approach including making any athlete who transfers in during 8th grade and above sit out a year during high school years regardless.  Don't need the TSSAA.  If it really is about the school and not the privilege of being on an athletic team, not too much of a sacrifice for maintaining the testimony of the school.  

4.  Move to DII if any sport's practices not going to line up (e.g. time to change the mission) regardless of whether able to give financial aid or not.  (This has been a concern in the past.)

5.  Parent education seminars on what it means to uphold the TSSAA regulations whether DI or DII.  

The topic of Vandy basketball came up. Bill said he usually defends Stallings, but he said that if Vandy ever wants to make it to the big dance every year, they need to replace Stallings with Maddux for the simple reason that Maddux is known for his recruiting and would improve Vandys talent immediately.

Now that would be a switch, moving from where you have been able to create all the advantages to a place where the school itself has specific limitations when it comes to the SEC.  

From an outsiders point of view many of you have already said what the rest of us were thinking. CPA is doing a major disservice to not only themselves but to every other other high school athlete and coach who does not benefit from being able to recruit players to their programs. It is outragous to me that the tssaa has yet to step in and do something about this. All parent's and members of the CPA athletic programs and school should be ashamed. No matter how you all claim you are not recruiting for athletic purposes, show me another school who has won multiple state championships in just about every sport available in the past five years. In order to be the best you have to beat the best. Why not do that? Is it that you just don't want too or is it what most if is think and that is, that you are scared those state championship banners will be harder to come by.

Edited by Bballman44

when will you CPA haters actually get a pair and write a formal complaint to TSSAA? 

Being successful is a great recruiting tool. If you have proof that a kid was recruited illegally , then turn him in. If CPA is breaking any rules, then  I will support any punishment of CPA.

when will you CPA haters actually get a pair and write a formal complaint to TSSAA? 

Being successful is a great recruiting tool. If you have proof that a kid was recruited illegally , then turn him in. If CPA is breaking any rules, then  I will support any punishment of CPA.

Does being good at manipulating rules make it less wrong? If it looks like a duck,walks like a duck.and quacks like a duck...well,it's probably a duck.

CPA plays in the public division, which has multiple rules regarding contact between potential players and coaches, transfers, "zoning", and forgiveness of tuition. CPA and the coaches that represent the school have mastered the art of avoiding the burden of proof with "work study" programs, church affiliation, AAU/player contact, ect...

It appears to me that the building of championship caliber teams has taken precedence over everything the school claims to stand for, to the point that the TSSAA rules and regulations are studied and manipulated to their advantage. Just as a defense lawyer prep's for a case in which the client is guilty, CPA knows the parameters allowed by the TSSAA, and what evidence must be there of the infraction to be punished for it. Knowing exactly what is (and is not) allowed is good business...unless you use that knowledge to escape discovery and punishment while willfully continuing to break the rules.

I don't consider myself a "CPA hater".I also don't consider myself a "rube", who believes that there's no wrong as long as there's no proof of wrongdoing. If you believe that no lawyers ever take a payoff, Bill Clinton didn't lie, and O.J. really is innocent, then I guess that I'll believe that you think that all CPA's athletes are there only because they are successful.

I have been a life long sports fan in this area.  I simply love when kids are successful both on and off the court.  I have watched many CPA games.  I have watched many Creekwood games. I have read many many times your opinion about CPA.  There are a few things I know for fact that no one talks about.  

1. you have to be on faculty/staff for (I believe) 5 years before you get a student discount. 

2. the church discount is $1500.00 a year and you have to attend church 2 times a month by completing the sign in log plus show tithe receipts to get discount.

3. The work/discount program is only for middle school and below and you have to complete a financial packet from an outside company to be approved.  

No one realizes the student work load these kids have at CPA. It is hard, relentless and noone especially athletes are given a break on grades 

I don't think there is any parent that honestly will say that would not do whatever they could to improve their kids education and athletic experience.  Both in private or public schools.  In private schools you pay tuition but you also work concessions, the door etc ..... Public schools you pay for fund raisers, you work concessions, you drive car pool, you work the door, etc.  

I think CPA has an advantage with coaches and resources, as they should.  Do most of you realize that the majority of the "weight program" at CPA is done in a sand pit.  They do lunges, sit ups, push ups .... all in the sand.  Ive seen the results.  You don't have to have a huge financial program to be successful but it does help.  

I have seen CPA gift many programs equipment.  I have seen CPA parents feed other kids programs when they come to Old Hickory Blvd for an event.  Several years ago the Maplewood football team (yes the whole team) was fed a complete steak dinner prior to the STATE FOOTBALL PLAYOFF game.  The CPA kids where fed also, they were fed chicken.  How many programs would voluntarily feed the opposing team prior to a state playoff game?  

That is all I will say about the CPA program.  I will not get into a shouting match with anyone on here ..... it is just not "Southern Lady Like."   :).  

HOWEVER food for thought .... Someone earlier posted the grades that the CPA BB boys began CPA.   Anyone out there know when the Creekwood kids began going to Creekwood?  

One of the starters, was there, left and went to Fairview so his brother could play football for Fairview because the program was better and has now returned to Creekwood,

Two of the boys that start both live in Dickson and should go to Dickson County but Dickson County is open zoned and they chose to go to Creekwood.  They went to Dickson Middle School.  William James and Charlotte are the middle schools that funnel to Creekwood.

The other two starters played in Cheatham County and moved into Dickson County and are correctly zoned for  Creekwood.  One when he was a freshman and the other when he was in 7th grade I believe.

Wow .... interesting huh?   

Another response that is an "oversimplification of a complex issue" and demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of the current system in place.

...There are a few things I know for fact that no one talks about...

Because they are not relevant to the topic at hand related to whether undue recruiting influence is being exerted, whether or not improper benefits are being offered and accepted, whether unfair competitive advantages are being created and/or if the school mission and philosophy is being upheld, etc. Two totally separate issues and the one can't be used to justify or excuse the other. 

Because they are afraid of the big  E.  Would rather beat up on the public schools.

Not that I would expect anyone to admit it, but there is evidence that points to the fact that once Ensworth showed up in CPA's "backyard" there was a concern, even a "fear" of how it could negatively affect CPA's enrollment and thus changed the approach of athletics to promote and market the school.  IMO this is a primary factor in what created the shift.