CPA vs creekwood

Bamapappy

For what's its worth, I was listening to Bill Kings radio show on 95 am ESPN in Nashville this morning. He is on from 9-10 am. Bill is a long time college sports expert. I believe he is friends with Coach M at CPA.

The topic of Vandy basketball came up. Bill said he usually defends Stallings, but he said that if Vandy ever wants to make it to the big dance every year, they need to replace Stallings with Maddux for the simple reason that Maddux is known for his recruiting and would improve Vandys talent immediately.

This is classic!  

1.  Be a thorough, unbiased investigation, not punishing people for being honest (being viewed as a rat, hater, losing a job, etc.), but rewarding people for being honest.  Sadly, the ones who need to be the most honest have the most to lose and that is hardly ever a good combination, but there are ways to piece it all together.  

2.  Review all practices and change or eliminate those that do not line up with the school's mission or creates potential problems (e.g. elite camps, open gym on Sundays, coach working in admissions). 

3.  If staying D1 because it actually does want to be in line with the school's mission, then implement policies to show all is above board and beyond approach including making any athlete who transfers in during 8th grade and above sit out a year during high school years regardless.  Don't need the TSSAA.  If it really is about the school and not the privilege of being on an athletic team, not too much of a sacrifice for maintaining the testimony of the school.  

4.  Move to DII if any sport's practices not going to line up (e.g. time to change the mission) regardless of whether able to give financial aid or not.  (This has been a concern in the past.)

5.  Parent education seminars on what it means to uphold the TSSAA regulations whether DI or DII.  

ALL CPA could potentially need to do to fix this mess, and possibly stay in D1 is IF they completely change the way the BB program is run.  However, so many in key positions cannot see how different that sport is, when compared to the others in the school.  They think they are "being forced" into other districts, and may be "forced into" d2.  Seriously?  Plus so many favorite people would probably need to lose their jobs.  I don't see it happening.  To do what Coach Brooks has outlined above would be way too hard on too many egos.

From an outsiders point of view many of you have already said what the rest of us were thinking. CPA is doing a major disservice to not only themselves but to every other other high school athlete and coach who does not benefit from being able to recruit players to their programs. It is outragous to me that the tssaa has yet to step in and do something about this. All parent's and members of the CPA athletic programs and school should be ashamed. No matter how you all claim you are not recruiting for athletic purposes, show me another school who has won multiple state championships in just about every sport available in the past five years. In order to be the best you have to beat the best. Why not do that? Is it that you just don't want too or is it what most if is think and that is, that you are scared those state championship banners will be harder to come by.

Personally, I think it's outrageous that CPA administration has supported the way the BB program is run, and allowed it to get so out of hand.

ALL CPA could potentially need to do to fix this mess, and possibly stay in D1 is IF they completely change the way the BB program is run.  However, so many in key positions cannot see how different that sport is, when compared to the others in the school.  They think they are "being forced" into other districts, and may be "forced into" d2.  Seriously?  Plus so many favorite people would probably need to lose their jobs.  I don't see it happening.  To do what Coach Brooks has outlined above would be way too hard on too many egos.

Agree

Personally, I think it's outrageous that CPA administration has supported the way the BB program is run, and allowed it to get so out of hand.

Agree, but theoretically it is the church elders who have ultimate authority, they are the ones who could make changes.  Of course that is in theory, actual practice is a different story.

What do you know?

It is one thing to recruit locally but when they are coming from Iowa and now possibly Arizona, even the TSSAA is going to notice it. The TSSAA seems to be making better decisions than ever in the last month. Now they may be ready to end this blatant recruiting by CPA.

Why did the Campbell's (Tyger's family) come to Nashville and who hired them? Do their employers have some affiliation with CPA? Seems like a reasonable question to me. Does anyone know?

Funny you should ask...he's actually joining this coaching staff with several other CPA coaches--Maddux, Couey, LeGate, and Maggard.  http://www.elitehoopsbasketball.com/Tony-Campbell

COACHES
TONY CAMPBELL

Tony Campbell, NIKE Camp Coach and Skill Development Trainer

HOF_Campbell.jpgTony Campbell is joining our Elite Hoops Team this summer of 2015. Tony Campbell was born and raised in Waterloo, Iowa before moving to Cedar Rapids, Iowa in 1990 during his sophomore year in high school. He attended and graduated from Regis High School in 1993 where he represented his exceptional athletic ability on the basketball court. He started on the varsity basketball team all three years, appearing in the State Tournament each of those years. Tony is a member of the 1,000 Point Club, was selected to the 1992 State All-Tournament Team, was named a finalist for Iowa Mr. Basketball and earned All-District, All-Conference honors in addition to receiving McDonald's All-America honorable mention.

Tony went on to Luther College where he was a four-year starter. He is the 7th all-time leading scorer, is 2nd all-time in steals per game and is in the Top 10 in all-time assists in school history at Luther. After earning his degree in elementary education, Tony went on to teach and coach for the next 17 years, which included successful stops among others at Jefferson High School, serving on the varsity boys basketball coaching staff. 

From there Tony went to Nashville and started up his own basketball training company, Handles and Buckets, where he successfully trained the youth in his surrounding area.  

Funny you should ask...he's actually joining this coaching staff with several other CPA coaches--Maddux, Couey, LeGate, and Maggard.  http://www.elitehoopsbasketball.com/Tony-Campbell

COACHES

What a joke!

TONY CAMPBELL

Tony Campbell, NIKE Camp Coach and Skill Development TrainerHOF_Campbell.jpgTony Campbell is joining our Elite Hoops Team this summer of 2015. Tony Campbell was born and raised in Waterloo, Iowa before moving to Cedar Rapids, Iowa in 1990 during his sophomore year in high school. He attended and graduated from Regis High School in 1993 where he represented his exceptional athletic ability on the basketball court. He started on the varsity basketball team all three years, appearing in the State Tournament each of those years. Tony is a member of the 1,000 Point Club, was selected to the 1992 State All-Tournament Team, was named a finalist for Iowa Mr. Basketball and earned All-District, All-Conference honors in addition to receiving McDonald's All-America honorable mention.

Tony went on to Luther College where he was a four-year starter. He is the 7th all-time leading scorer, is 2nd all-time in steals per game and is in the Top 10 in all-time assists in school history at Luther. After earning his degree in elementary education, Tony went on to teach and coach for the next 17 years, which included successful stops among others at Jefferson High School, serving on the varsity boys basketball coaching staff. 

From there Tony went to Nashville and started up his own basketball training company, Handles and Buckets, where he successfully trained the youth in his surrounding area.

COACHES
TONY CAMPBELL

Tony Campbell, NIKE Camp Coach and Skill Development Trainer

HOF_Campbell.jpgTony Campbell is joining our Elite Hoops Team this summer of 2015. Tony Campbell was born and raised in Waterloo, Iowa before moving to Cedar Rapids, Iowa in 1990 during his sophomore year in high school. He attended and graduated from Regis High School in 1993 where he represented his exceptional athletic ability on the basketball court. He started on the varsity basketball team all three years, appearing in the State Tournament each of those years. Tony is a member of the 1,000 Point Club, was selected to the 1992 State All-Tournament Team, was named a finalist for Iowa Mr. Basketball and earned All-District, All-Conference honors in addition to receiving McDonald's All-America honorable mention.

This seems to be another great opportunity to recruit the best players in area. I am sure they would never use this in any way other than to teach basketball skills. Someone explain why you would just up and move to Nashville to run another individual camp?

Someone explain why you would just up and move to Nashville to run another individual camp?

I'm no fan of CPA, but come on - give us a break.  Are you saying that there is now some requirement that one needs to somehow gain your permission (or that of TSSAA) before they will be allowed to move and enroll their kids in a new school??????  This dude need not explain to anyone why he chose to move.  If you think he does, you are sorely mistaken and should consider moving yourself to Russia or some other country where the government seeks to control the movement of its citizens.  

You are taking this to ridiculous lengths if you think that CPA somehow "recruited" this kid to move to Nashville from out of state so that he could come pay tuition at CPA and vie for a championship at the mid-level in a mid-level basketball state.  Plenty of exceptional basketball programs between here and there if these people were simply shopping for a place to play basketball.   

I'm no fan of CPA, but come on - give us a break.  Are you saying that there is now some requirement that one needs to somehow gain your permission (or that of TSSAA) before they will be allowed to move and enroll their kids in a new school??????  This dude need not explain to anyone why he chose to move.  If you think he does, you are sorely mistaken and should consider moving yourself to Russia or some other country where the government seeks to control the movement of its citizens.  

You are taking this to ridiculous lengths if you think that CPA somehow "recruited" this kid to move to Nashville from out of state so that he could come pay tuition at CPA and vie for a championship at the mid-level in a mid-level basketball state.  Plenty of exceptional basketball programs between here and there if these people were simply shopping for a place to play basketball.   

You make the point quite well. There are plenty of places between Iowa and Tn.  So how does CPA just happen to be that spot. He was recruited through AAU. Take off your blinders. I don't disagree with you that everyone has a right to go where they want but go private if you are going to bring in out of state kids.