A look down the road at Private pull out from TSSA

reftn

Revenue sharing?

It would have to happen. Many of the wealthy private schools would want a truly first class, elite atheltic org to govern and run the newly formed TSSAA. It is their right to have such. But they would have to share some revenues or the "minor" privates couldnt be a part.

It would be expensive. Membership would be costly.

Would this create a have and have nots within the new governing body and would the wealthy schools dominate it?

I can see a split in the new organization of private schools divided down those lines within three years of its inception.

The public schools? Can you say..Class A, AA, AAA, AAAA, AAAAA, AAAAAA, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

The classifications would be a godsend compared to the splits within orgs. Most coaches only want to win championships, regardless of the watered down nature of the "achivement." They get to point to a trophy, and pat themselves on the back.

There is a football coach at Hillsboro that seems to be going by the book, and winning. My hat is off to him from what I know right now. He must be doing the job getting the athletes out on the field so he can compete. I have never heard his views on all of this. I have never read where he has whined about losing athletes to this school or that school.

I got to appreciate Gonyea and Ewbe at Smyrna.

Hill at Franklin. Look at the community support that program has gathered.

Badon at Dickson.

Lester at Tullahoma. (though from what I have read, they are majoring in wrestling, and minoring in bull riding?)

I know there are others I am leaving out, but these guys dodge no one. Their battlefield is the mat and prefer to settle things there.

Enough of this....

Good day...

reftn

Reftn, If there is a complete split that is one thing but if there is another organization formed don't you think that the private schools will have a difficult time filling schedules....wrestling would be a sport that would have a difficult time. I'm not certain of exact numbers but aren't there only 20-22 private schools with wrestling? Due to geographic issues it would be hard for private schools to fill their schedules and if the TSSAA and/or it's members decided not to compete with this new organization it would be a worse situation for the private schools than they're in now. I've read alot of post on these boards and there are some good ideas and some bad but the only opinions that will count is that of the administrators of the schools. I've read only one post from an administrator(Bill Cherry-McCallie AD) and if I remember right he stated that DI and DII would never be reunited and I was told that at the meeting in Knoxville that he voted and was in favor of a complete split. This is all second hand information but if Mr. Cherry is still reading these boards maybe he could inform us if this is true and if so why he feels this is the thing to do.

Readers will have to know that I do not speak for any group of schools. My personal opinion is that all TSSAA schools will not be together again, at least in my lifetime. I did vote for the Collinwood proposal because philosophically I feel that all nonpublic schools should be together. I have also come to believe since the formation of DII, that the "playing field" is not level when one considers public vs nonpublic - facilities, student body selection, number of coaches, etc. Because we are privately funded, we have more flexibility and more accountability. We have to provide a good product when we charge $1000's in tuition. Public schools have little control over their finances. I think with all 70 or so nonpublic schools in one group would be a very attractive league.

I for one would want to stay in TSSAA, but would appreciate representation on the Board and Council. The TSSAA staff and others do a really good job of administering our athletic playoffs and tournaments. Ronnie Carter and staff have tried very hard to hold this organization together and to be fair to all members.

Financial aid is a grossly misunderstood concept. It is NOT athletic scholarships. It is nowhere close to the college scholarship concept. We have believed in need-based financial aid since our founding in 1905. Our tuition is $12,000 and we do not want to be an elitest school. We do not want to be a "country club". As with most of us, no athletic person at my school has a say in who does or does not receive aid.

I've rambled too much. Sorry. Hope I answered your question.

Readers will have to know that I do not speak for any group of schools. My personal opinion is that all TSSAA schools will not be together again, at least in my lifetime. I did vote for the Collinwood proposal because philosophically I feel that all nonpublic schools should be together. I have also come to believe since the formation of DII, that the "playing field" is not level when one considers public vs nonpublic - facilities, student body selection, number of coaches, etc. Because we are privately funded, we have more flexibility and more accountability. We have to provide a good product when we charge $1000's in tuition. Public schools have little control over their finances. I think with all 70 or so nonpublic schools in one group would be a very attractive league.

I for one would want to stay in TSSAA, but would appreciate representation on the Board and Council. The TSSAA staff and others do a really good job of administering our athletic playoffs and tournaments. Ronnie Carter and staff have tried very hard to hold this organization together and to be fair to all members.

Financial aid is a grossly misunderstood concept. It is NOT athletic scholarships. It is nowhere close to the college scholarship concept. We have believed in need-based financial aid since our founding in 1905. Our tuition is $12,000 and we do not want to be an elitest school. We do not want to be a "country club". As with most of us, no athletic person at my school has a say in who does or does not receive aid.

I've rambled too much. Sorry. Hope I answered your question.

Walkenvol ole buddy,

it is not PROPOSED, it is done. Here are the actual vote results.

2002 Regional Meetings

Legislative Proposals

Change Article I, Section 2 of the TSSAA Bylaws to state:

Effective with the 2005-06 classification period, all public schools shall play in Division I and all non-public schools shall play in Division II.

For Against

West 49 29

East 71 24

Middle 85 28

Total 205 81

Change Article II, Section 1 of the TSSAA Bylaws to allow home schooled students to participate in athletics at the public school in whose zone or attendance area they reside.

For Against

West 1 77

East 10 85

Middle 10 103

Total 21 265

Change Article II, Section 10 (Independent-Game Participation) of the TSSAA Bylaws to allow students to participate in independent games in soccer while participating on the TSSAA soccer team.

This would treat soccer in the same manner as golf, tennis, and bowling.

For Against

West 11 67

East 13 82

Middle 23 89

Total 47 238

SilverB,

Just as you copied it....."legislative proposals". These will go before the TSSAA Legislative Council for their vote before anything is final. They usually vote the way that the regional meetings go but anything is possible.

xbody

Sly,

I agree, geographically it would mean the demise of marginal programs (D1), with wrestling probably being one.

At the same time, you would only have strong D2 programs around metropolitan areas, i.e. Knox, Chatt, Nash, Memphis.

It could possibly encourage some sports like wrestling at some private schools in these metro areas.

The financial aid schools now (D2), certainly know that creating such a split only bolsters their division, for now. There will be a second split of private schools to come down the road. It will be interesting to see how a new sports administration org will be developed. If the wealthy schools ride herd on the rest, it will be a strain.

reftn