Flo Wrestling Eastern World Championships

TeamTN

The bad thing about this tournament is the fact it takes place on the same day as the Ironman tournament in Murfreesboro. The Ironman is the biggest offseason tournament in TN that offers wrestling for high schoolers. We just need to be smarter and deconflict our schedues better. Right now the Freestyle/Greco state tournament has another middle TN tournament to compete with also.

Edited by deadlift

I didn't mean any disrespect to you teamtn. Just every high school coach I talk to didn't know about it. I even spoke to a Bradley coach this weekend, that found the same day I did. We changed from going ironman to doing this event. I believe if Blackman's coach would've known, we wouldn't have had this conflict.

I agree the Ironman has not been advertised a lot but anyone who wanted to see the FULL TN/USA schedule it is very easy to find. The Ironman has been one of the few tournaments that has been consistent year in and year out, so if anyone really wanted to attend it they would have checked the calendar. Until the growth and emphasis of FS and GR grows in TN across the state, tournaments are going to continue to produce low numbers because not many people are willing to drive across state to possibly not even have anyone in their weight class.

As far as this "World" Championship being in TN and in late in April is not a good for this growth of FS/GR. These big tournaments are being pushed further and further into the FS/GR  season which I for one will not support. I am a firm believer that participating in FS/GR is vital for the growth of our state. Not only do these style force you to learn skills that are not learned(but needed) in folkstyle season but more importantly provides a mental break from the season grind. Not understanding the rules for these styles is an excuse because I know of facilities across the state that have their room open to anyone wanting to come learn. If you want your child to truly jump levels in the off season, find a room that is teaching FS/GR and if you need help doing so please message me and I will point you in the right direction.

Josh Bosken

Higher Calling Wrestling Club

The biggest reason I hear for kids not doing freestyle and greco is that the kids simply don't like it. I believe that the reason they don't like it is because they don't know the rules as Bosken said, they are lazy, and afraid to lose. What I mean by that is they don't want to develop the extra skills you need to learn for freestyle and greco. They just want to keep doing what they are comfortable with, instead of having to try a new move. They would rather not take the chance of losing because they had to attempt something they wouldn't do in folkstyle. It drives me crazy because that's how you get better. You have to go out of your comfort zone.

On another note, it seems like the USA season in TN always ends at the beginning of May with the Southeast Regionals at the end of May. We could probably push the USA tournaments back a couple weeks to help avoid some of these national events.

I totally agree with Josh's post. I don't think we can adjust the freestyle/Greco schedule much from the current blueprint. We really need to be finished with state before graduations start. Some graduations will start the week after we hold state this year. If we wait till after TOC to start our freestyle/Greco schedule then we would have a very short season. De-conflicting with instate Folkstyle tournaments is a bigger issue I believe. 4-5 weeks of open schedule is all I really believe we are asking for from the entire year for freestyle/Greco.

I agree with Josh and Dave. If you want to excel you need to get into these other styles. Of the High School divisions, the champions from their weights in Freestlye had the following results at the TSSAAA state tournament:

5 - State Champs

1 - Runner Up

4 - State Medalist (2nd-6th)

4 - State Qualifiers

2 - Out of State (I don't know how they did)

There is a reason why these guys do so well. They get out of their comfort zone and try new styles. 

If we want to advance fs/gr we need to make it more consistent and official. Get rid of kids refing and more organized. IMO we need a fs/gr assn to line up refs who actually know the rules. Also to help these tournaments run smooth. It could also help with keeping down so many scheduling conflicts. Ok, now y'all can beat me up lol.

I dont mean to come off as insulting, but that line of thought is perpetuating the problem. The sport can't afford to pay pro refs right now because kids are going to this Flo tournament instead of supporting TN wrestling or they just arent wrestling. too many kids think that they won't get anything out of fs/gr. Their mentors need to research the best if the best and like Salter pointed they will find a direct link to success and fs/gr. I understand there is a problem now but walking away from fs/GR tournaments isn't going to make it better.

motocoach1, no offense taken.  Mr Roller asked me if I would be the site director for this event and I agreed. I do not like the fact that of these events are being held on the same day. I believe both events can benefit the Tennessee wrestling community but it would be great if they were not on the same day. Especially when I was one of the founders of the Ironman tournament that brought both AAU and USA working together for the common good for Tennessee Wrestling

Edited by TeamTN