Knox Catholic 2015

BigDave1967

I guess my last couple sentences, and anyone can answer this, boils down to this not so simple question: What makes Knoxville Catholic

High School Catholic besides the affiliation and funding from the church?

Mostly being associated and funded by the Arch Diocese of East Tennessee and some (but very little) assistance from Catholic Charities. It's still a Catholic School, they will not turn down any student that is Catholic and wanting an educatuon. Due to the size of the school priority for admission is given to Catholic's first. When I became associated with the school in 2000, there were 225 kids in the school 90% were Catholic, as the applications for admission became more in demand the school expanded to accommodate the non-Catholic students who wanted to attend. If I had to guess the school is now probably 60-40 with Catholic's to all other religions. A students religion grade isn't based on them attending mass but they do have school wide mass occasionally and I'm sure some kids would rather sit in mass for an hour then hear a lecture in history class lol. The football team attends service on Friday before games. That was implemented by the head football coach who isn't Catholic. Offering thanks and praise to our Savior should be the important idea no matter what religion a person is. Also, as Irishbball mentioned Catholic's tuition is cheaper then most of the private schools in the area. And the academics speak for themselves. Over a ten year period they've had students receive hundreds of millions of dollars in scholarship money to colleges and that's not counting the athletic scholarships. Edited by QSouth89

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Catholic's enrollment, like some other privates, is dropping significantly. They started with 675 three years ago and are around 620 for this fall.  The percentage of non-Catholics is steadily dropping as well and is under 20% now.  They have "laid off" three teachers for next year along with all of the custodial staff except for one.  One more teacher will be laid off as well.  Of course, there is room for the new defensive backs coach from Nashville area to come in as a full-time teacher.  The lay-offs made room for him.   Better hope football continues to "encourage" players to Catholic to keep enrollment from dropping even more.  Problem now is these football coaches are teaching academic classes and they have NO interest in doing so, and many should NEVER be in a classroom.  Just telling you like it is.....

Catholic's enrollment, like some other privates, is dropping significantly. They started with 675 three years ago and are around 620 for this fall.  The percentage of non-Catholics is steadily dropping as well and is under 20% now.  They have "laid off" three teachers for next year along with all of the custodial staff except for one.  One more teacher will be laid off as well.  Of course, there is room for the new defensive backs coach from Nashville area to come in as a full-time teacher.  The lay-offs made room for him.   Better hope football continues to "encourage" players to Catholic to keep enrollment from dropping even more.  Problem now is these football coaches are teaching academic classes and they have NO interest in doing so, and many should NEVER be in a classroom.  Just telling you like it is.....

From what I hear it'll be less then 600.

Edited by QSouth89

Or we'll just go ahead and talk about that stuff here cause it's the most convenient....

After all, the thread does read Knoxville Catholic lol.  Spent a couple of days watching spring practice and the Irish look where I'd though they'd be.  With kids in spring sports the numbers look 'light", one day, I counted 37 kids dressed out in pads and a few nursing injuries.  The defense should be pretty stout.  Looks a lot faster then last year.

Edited by QSouth89

You mentioned the battle for the QB spot might be interesting. How is that looking? Anyone emerging as the probable starter, or is it still wide open?

Its still up in the air. All four guys bring something different to the field. Without any spring scrimmages it's hard to gauge. My opinion is they will wait till to the fall when they can play against an opponent to determine the starter.

• 4 weeks later...

Again, none of my business, but how do you approach the bible classes then, which I imagine are very far off doctrinally what you believe? Have you found this to be an issue at any point when your child is being taught something 5 days a week that is very different than what you believe?

Edited by Patrice

• 2 weeks later...