South Gibson

pioneer42

I agree that the one's that stayed should get their shot and I believe they will. The best players should be on the floor whoever they may be. If talent is equal, seniority should go in effect IMO. We will see how it all works out. The one's that play ball on their own and work out in the dead period have the upper advantage IMO. the more they are in the gym in the spring and summer the better off, because the one's that make it to the Boro every year play 365 days a year.

Edited by pioneer42

Talent is one thing, but loyalty is another.   Kaitlyn & Aly may be great ball players but they quit because they didn't like the coach.  Kristen & Chyna had to quit because their parents thought they should have gotten much more playing time and because they didn't like the coach.   Not very loyal…

With that being said, what about the girls that STAYED even when they may not have liked the coach either.   They stayed because they were loyal to the game.  And they still gave 100% even though they may not have liked the coach.   I just hope the new coach recognizes the loyalty of these girls that stayed and continued to do what they had to do for the team.  And also to the girls that didn't get as much playing time, they stayed too.  They have waited their turn and had hoped that this coming year would be different.  I hope it is...

Remembering back, Martin tore an ACL and was not ready to play her freshman year, out of shape, attitude, etc, she sat, didn't like it, and quit. Did the coach sit her, yes. So I guess it was the coaches fault. Aly was playing in spring practice after her Freshman year, turned an ankle pretty bad. Her dad says no more basketball. Softball is Aly's ticket, not basketball. Aly and coach Volbert got along great. By the way Aly is going to UT Chat not UTM.   

Kristen is no where near H. Butler. Not even close to many good players that have been in the area recently either. She is an athlete for sure. Can score by driving and rebounding. Can't shoot from past 8 feet out. Better learn to shoot before D1 takes any looks.

Carla is a very good coach. Moma's wanted her when Volbert was hired. Thinking Volbert was setup. Although Carla is coming in at a good time with coaching changes at Milan, Dyersburg, Crockett & Obion and the talent levels at those have also fallen, it should be SGC and Westview at the top. Keep in mind momas there is a big difference in beating Dyer, Humboldt, Spring Hill, Rutherford, Milan, etc that competing as a state tourney contender. It takes 2 D1 players and a few Jr college players on 1 team to be a AA state contender in this day and time. Hope is a D1 prospect. Kristen is not there yet. Sara Grace is not D1, but could play at a small school. Chyna has not shown anything yet, so that is to be seen. Would not count on playing in the Boro just yet, no matter what the momas do. 

AA is not what it once was in this area. Volleyball and softball have taken a bite. Notice the single A schools have not fallen off. Most do not have volleyball, some not softball. Basketball takes a lot of work and heart. VB  is a much easier path.

GC has the best setup for success. They have so many feeder schools giving so many players valuable experience and being smaller schools, allows coaches to have more individual time and also start kids earlier to develop their skills.     

Edited by sls

Crockett County will struggle some this year losing a lot from last year but Kayla Hudson will have them back competing real quick. Westview will be the favorite by far and South Gibson and Dyersburg will battle it out for the 2 seed IMO. No way South Gibson is a distant third. They beat Dyersburg once last year.

In most cases I would say the players were wrong for quitting but to hear the players say it they were not practicing enough or playing summer ball enough in the last couple of years. Hayes and King were very active in summer on their own. So they weren't lazy. I know Martin and Walker have softball scholarships so don't know the full details.

So in your eyes the Readi kid that left Obion and went to Gibson County in 2009 and went on the win the state in 2009 and 2010 and received a full ride scholarship to UTM did a bad thing. In a lot of cases I would agree with you but keep in mind some of the parents are spending thousands of dollars on camps and travel ball and if you have a coach that you feel like your child is regressing and losing stock in a college scholarship it is time to move on. A lot of these administrators hire their buddies to coach the team and leaves the parents out to dry. Not in the case with Volbert just an example of things that can happen. I thought Volbert was a good X's and O's coach. He just wasn't involved enough in summer ball and was not living in the gym like the Westview's, Dyersburg's and Gibson County's were, IMO.

I hope SGC girls do good this year.  But I just can't see playing basketball, after sitting out for 2+ years,  if you've already "signed your ticket" to play softball in college.  I guess as a parent, I'd be a little nervous that they'd get hurt and then not be able to play any sport.  Both girls have put in so much time and effort toward softball and both have excelled at it.