"open facilities" a problem?

eli

Yea, but what happens is you run in with the problem of baseball coaches telling kids thats playing other sports that they're missing out not being with the baseball team or coaches making kids quit or not coming out for other sports so they go to Open Facilites. Also in some cases you actually have coaches out there coaching or hiring booster club members just to be on the field instructing and the coaches are around watching on the field. I think theres a big number of baseball coaches breaking TSSAA rules with this in baseball.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to cardinal coach - the coach can be present at the facility, but he can't instruct. some coaches i know do not use it because: why let kids practice bad habits? - and in reply to eli's post- most baseball coaches are not the ones telling their kids not to play other sports or requiring them to be there - that usually comes from football and basketball coaches - if baseball coaches or any coach is doing that it comes from -in my opinion- a coach that is only interested in self gain - not the kids best interest - how many kids go on to participate in a college sport at any level? and in baseball there aren't very many scholarships - if you know of a coach doing that i suggest that you call the TSSAA and report him/her. TnBBall - in the fall baseball is being played now by high school kids all the way down to 6 year olds. If a coach can't coach in the fall they usually have parents or other interested people to coach the team. that is not against the rules. and again if the coach is coaching, turn him/her in. This all started years ago when football and basketball coaches started going to 3 or 4 summer camps, passing leagues, you name it - so now it has gotten around to baseball because frankly baseball coaches have gotten fed up with fball and bkball coaches doing the same thing to them. is it right - no but hey if you can't beat 'em, join 'em! and that is exactly how they feel about it. why can't hs baseball have 10 days in the fall to practice? the other "major" sports do. studentathelete is right - any coach is going to put his/her best out on the field, period. and if he/she doesn't then they aren't much of a coach.

[Edited by jdmtpb on 11-27-02 4:56P]

1st of all having an open facilities policy should mean very little to most high school baseball players. The good players are going to work out year around with summer league teams that also play in the fall and winter national tournaments. To the dismay of many high school baseball coaches the players that are going to sign major college baseball scholarships are going to be seen while playing with their summer league team or recomended by a professional scout. With programs in Tennessee like Dulins Dodgers Baseball Academy and Hit after Hit Baseball Academy that have indoor facilities (just to name a couple) the high school season is becoming less and less significant to players and their families. I understand that some of the East Cobb players opted not to play high school baseball.

it shouldn't be, how does a college coach know the boy can follow school and team rules that are much different from showing up to play games in the summer... that is totally rediculous for kids to quit hs ball to concentrate on summer ball but they have been doing that with tennis and gymnastics, and other "olympic" sports in GA for the last few years so I guess this has become a progression of that thought process. the problem is hs coaches are handicapped in the time they have with kids, the whole process is for each kid to become the best player he can be - no amount of bp at an indoor practice facility can make up for playing the game, period!

Guest ncjenks

I have to agree with a lot of parents and the pressure put on our young students, alot of coaches put forth pressure to attend open facilities. Some students want to work in the summer but basketball is the priorty to some coaches, so the threat-pressure is applied. Also notice how some schools do not offer open facilities to all sports and only concentrate on there bread and butter sports while slamming the door to other students in other sports. If TSSAA were to open their eyes and understand the real truth to what goes on, some schools would not have as much success in select sports. If we are going to open the facility to 1-one sport lets open it to all, this way the dedicated athlete will show up and work on improving his or her's skill sets and it's fair for all.

• 1 month later...
Guest earz23

I THINK OPEN FAC. CAN BE A GOOD THING OR A BAD THING. IF A PLAYER WANTS TO WORK AND GET BETTER HE/SHE SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO SO, BUT A PLAYER SHOULD NOT BE FORCED TO COME OUT DURING THE OFF-SEASON AND PRACTICE. AS FAR AS COACHES NOT BEING ABLE TO TELL THE PLAYERS WHAT THEY ARE DOING WRONG, WELL THAT IS WERE THE TEAM LEADERS SHOULD STEP UP AND HELP THEIR TEAMMATES OUT. GOING OUT AND PRACTICING DURING THE OFF-SEASON IS OPTIONAL, BUT WHEN IT COMES FEBUARY YOU WILL BE ABLE TELL WHO HAS PUT IN THE EXTRA EFFORT.

OFF-SEASON PRACTICE IS OPTIONAL BUT SO IS PLAYING TIME!!!!!!OFF-SEASON PRACTICE IS OPTIONAL BUT SO IS PLAYING TIME!!!!!!OFF-SEASON PRACTICE IS OPTIONAL BUT SO IS PLAYING TIME!!!!!!

CBG, you are dead on target. The best of the best don't care what you call it. Anyone that knows anything about baseball knows that the "players" workout all year long. They love the game of baseball and you can tell whether a kid works at his craft all year. The really good ball players don't know squat about the TSSAA rules. The kids that feel like they are pressured or forced to workout , well there usually not that good anyways.

I'm not sure what the problem is. Baseball is played in three different season spring, summer league, and fall league. Anyone that says they have an offseason must not be to involved in baseball. I'm amazed at the people that complain about basketball, track, baseball, and soccer. The only sport that does not have a year round season is Football. I know that they have workouts, and spring practice, but playing games would help out football. The cost is too much I know, and it is to much on the body, but the complaints Ive heard are crazy. If you are not playing another sport, and you are just sitting around then join fall league, or summer league. ;)