"open facilities" a problem?

eli

There has been much talk about open gym taking athletes out of other sports to consentrate on basketball. Is it a problem in Baseball as well? I know of some teams already out 4 or 5 days a week working on infield and cut-offs. Of course no coaches are around...right!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think open facility is a great idea. There are alot of good baseball players just sitting around not doing anything until Feb. Baseball should have or great maybe 10 days or more in the fall to practice. Football and basketball get to practice year around, including the summer(except for dead week). How many schools right know right now the number of players going out for baseball.

I think that baseball should get the 10 days of practice in the off-season like football and basketball,but I don't agree with open facilities because with a coach is in the bleachers and a player is doing something wrong the coach can't say anything or if he does it is breaking the rules, tough situation.From a hs coaches' view it would be nice to be able to make some of your cuts in the fall, so you treat kids fair, especially with fund raising.

I agree that the 10 days should be alloted to baseball as well. The points already made are all valid. It is crazy for the coach not to have the same opp's as football....especially to correct or advise on a technical aspect.....and the fund raising could be a very sore spot for the whole family should the kid not make a spring roster.

Why should Practice ever be limited? I agree everyone needs time off from whatever sport they play but, if a kid wants to work/practice to get better why take that opportunity away. If a Kid is a one sport player he or she should not be expected to just sit around and wait till spring! Schools spend a boat load of money for fields and training equipment why should it be wrong to use these. I also realize that Football is the Fall Sport of choice but Baseball and Softball should be played in the Fall when the weather is absolutly perfect for Hardball! Lets be honest with each other? With Baseball and Softball being played in the dead of Winter and the College Season in full swing how many Scouts are able to come to High School games? I feel that 98% of all Baseball & Softball Scholorships are given based on Summer League Play! I feel sorry for all High School Coaches that coach Baseball, Softball & even Basketball! The TSSAA mandates such things as when you can practice and how many games you can play. If Coaches and Players are willing to practice or play a game in any sport, why should anybody object? Sports at any High School is not a required, its a privlage and a dedication to practice in order to get better at that sport. Sports should never interfere with a students Education! If Coaches and Players want to stay after school and practice who is that hurting?

Guys the rule is that a coach cant be there the kids can do whatever they want as long as they want. If a kid wants to work on getting better he can do that without a coach there. But I do agree they should have the same as the other sports but here when would you do it the weather is bad even when baseball starts.

another reason i don't like open fac. is sometimes kids feel pressure to possibly chose between sports because their coach is requiring open fac.work. if a player wants to work on his game he does need anyone to be there and the great ones or dedicated ones seem to work on their own.finished with this topic.

another reason i don't like open fac. is sometimes kids feel pressure to possibly chose between sports because their coach is requiring open fac.work. if a player wants to work on his game he does NOT need anyone to be there and the great ones or dedicated ones seem to work on their own.finished with this topic.

I have no problem with a kid going to a batting cage with a few friends to hit, but the problem is that several coaches are requiring players to be there. They know that is is a TSSAA violation to require attendance but are making it clear to players that not showing up will hurt their playing time in the spring. That is the complaint from the gyms, coaches are holding playing time over the players heads if they don't show up. I know one coach that tried to force players to attend "open gym" after football practice.

Let kids be kids and play every sport they can, most will never go beyond high school in athletics so let them enjoy their 4 years and stop pressuring them to be one sport athletes.