2015-2016 District 3 & 4 class A

Cookevegas3

I agree Coalfield has plenty of upside with all the youth, but are they ready to take it away from Oakdale who is seasoned and returns everyone from a team that finished #1?  Coalfield will be there in the thick of it, my big question is there another team or 2 that can hang with Oakdale and Coalfield in 4A?

I like Meigs as of now as the team to beat in the region, with Grace, Coalfield, and Oakdale fighting for second.  

If Meigs isn't at the 'Boro, I'll be extremely shocked...Anything can happen, but they are loaded.

• 2 weeks later...

Hard to pick against grace in d3, just too many advantages there. They and meigs easily the favs. Coalfield is likely the team to beat in d4, they let grace off the hook late in region game last year. Lost a good player and a decent contributor, but will gain another really big post with good skills in the Carroll kid...a n area they were short last year. Three freshman played a lot last year...a fourth played some as well. They also have the best player in district, that never hurts. I think they have more upside than oakdale.... Certainly oakdale has a good shot though, can't fault that pick at all. Smith is a fine player and if the other kid will shoot less/pass more.... They'll be very solid. Hope to see Jackson on the court a lot more at point for them. Nobody else really stands out....in either district, mostly just not very good. This might be the year d4 gets past d3 in region... Who knows....?

I think I will amend my pick and give Oakdale the advantage. Half or more of Coalfield's key players are playing football, while looks like virtually all of Oakdale's roster is playing hoops around the area this fall. I'd say that has to move them ahead of Coalfield.... if they weren't already there.

Hey I missed this thread some how???? I dont know as much about Oakdales region as I do ours so I am picking Oakdale there based on Maverick.

In our region yea It will come down to GCA and Meigs. Here is the thing guys..... Our two new freshman Gettlefinger and Ledford are as good as anyone on the team or at least comparable to what we lost. Kobe and Luke were good no doubt. Losing Kobe Kellys fire and competitive will is unmeasurable.

Arnold is getting better and better, at least I think so. He is now 6-8 1/2 and 207 lbs. but seeing how we are related and all, I'll let others comment on him lol. Gettlefinger will run the point at 6-3 and Ledford 6-3 is a two year younger and smaller version of Arnold. He is a good good young player. The football guys will be missed early but when Andrews, Wyndham, and Hensley get back we will be formidable dare I say better and more athletic. Add in senior John Holland at 6-4 and our new junior 6-5 transfer from Texas and we are for sure bigger this year.

Meigs has a great coach and talemted team. Meadows in my book is what is great about HS basketball. I love that kids effort and toughness. ZY is ZY we all know his book and they always have like 8 three point shooters on the team.....

So I am picking it

1-GCA Armold and company get it done! Back to state

2- Meigs plays it hard and I think gets back to state. It is possible both teams could make it. I hope so anyway

3- Harriman good athletes and Johnson is back but how good will they be?

4- Tellico - scrappy and the most intense coach in the league seriously .....

5- Rockwood, Midway, Greenback, and Concord just wont be very good I fear. They will battle for the basement

Edited by 12thmanGCA

I totally forgot our returning guard Zach from last year on my thoughts in this feed. Gosh, sorry Zach......He is a great little shooter. Probably will move to 2 guard this year or split time with CJ at the point. In reality IMO he is geared more as a spot up shooter with some good vision to dish but when you add point guard duties it drags down his best qualities. I am excited to see him as a shooting guard this year and think he is a game changer when he is hot. Ok, thats my GCA final evaluation and message board cowboy observations. And Mike Doig is a good coach and motivator. 

Edited by 12thmanGCA

Coalfield CAN potentially give Oakdale a fit on our side. Oakdale lacks true, big size. Maverick and Colyer Hicks are big, but neither are true posts. They're both hybrid 3's in most offenses. Coalfield has Carrol and Kilby. They're not as talented as Oakdale, but they do have what the Eagles don't. With that being said, I still think Oakdale runs the table in the district though. Just throwing that out there lol 

Hey I missed this thread some how???? I dont know as much about Oakdales region as I do ours so I am picking Oakdale there based on Maverick.

In our region yea It will come down to GCA and Meigs. Here is the thing guys..... Our two new freshman Gettlefinger and Ledford are as good as anyone on the team or at least comparable to what we lost. Kobe and Luke were good no doubt. Losing Kobe Kellys fire and competitive will is unmeasurable.

Arnold is getting better and better, at least I think so. He is now 6-8 1/2 and 207 lbs. but seeing how we are related and all, I'll let others comment on him lol. Gettlefinger will run the point at 6-3 and Ledford 6-3 is a two year younger and smaller version of Arnold. He is a good good young player. The football guys will be missed early but when Andrews, Wyndham, and Hensley get back we will be formidable dare I say better and more athletic. Add in senior John Holland at 6-4 and our new junior 6-5 transfer from Texas and we are for sure bigger this year.

Meigs has a great coach and talemted team. Meadows in my book is what is great about HS basketball. I love that kids effort and toughness. ZY is ZY we all know his book and they always have like 8 three point shooters on the team.....

So I am picking it

1-GCA Armold and company get it done! Back to state

2- Meigs plays it hard and I think gets back to state. It is possible both teams could make it. I hope so anyway

3- Harriman good athletes and Johnson is back but how good will they be?

4- Tellico - scrappy and the most intense coach in the league seriously .....

5- Rockwood, Midway, Greenback, and Concord just wont be very good I fear. They will battle for the basement

Who is the 6'5 transfer from Texas?  Heard Holland decided not to play. LOL Arnold and company?  Team wins Team loses.  I still believe it will be between GCA and Meigs for 1st 

Who is the 6'5 transfer from Texas? Heard Holland decided not to play. LOL Arnold and company? Team wins Team loses. I still believe it will be between GCA and Meigs for 1st

Hmmmm so you are a Ram fan LadyRamsHoop? But you completely missed all the positive comments I had about our team and players? I guess to what imply I was all about one player? You out the fact that we might lose one? And you question a potential transfer?

You know we really don't need the drama on the boys side. Anybody that understands the game understands it's a team game but some players have added responsibility as leaders and added expectations on them as a leaders. Last year it was Luke and Kobe and this year its at least for sure Arnold. When the football team gets to basketball others will emerge. That is all I meant with my Arnold and Company comment. It was an observation of leadership and expectations not a statement of superiority. You should come to practice sometime and watch because the butt chewing and motivational coaching definitely reenforces the expectations on certain players.

I think your LOL comment is out of line with the reality of the next two years. I meant nothing by that at all. And stating in september that a player is quitting is not only stupid but it isn't fair to the kid. He could change his mind and what business is it of any opposing team to learn that from a Ram fan on a message board??? What business do you have saying that? What is your motivation??

Fans count as teamates to. I think you and I are on the same team, right? I dont even know who you are? I know its a team game and pray that our kids all accept their roles as individuals and within the team. I was merely enjoying the pre season message board speculation. It is really hard being the family of a good player because it feels like you almost lose your right to every say anything good about your own kid without someone jumping on you or mocking you. Sad......I was just enjoying the conversation wasn't trying to overpromote someone. I would have said Kobe and company last year or on the girls side D Johnson and company. They earned the leadership recognition.

Anyway Go Rams! Yea Team!

Very well said. Sometimes when you have one of your own playing you almost hate to post anything as someone will most always take it other than the way it was meant. The pre-season speculation is always fun and then the play dates and then add the teams that have football player yet to be added to the mix. Looking forward to safe, fun and productive season for all. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to throw out some fun topics to debate until the season gets here.......

1. Name the projected district MVP and next best 5 for either or both district.

2.  Where is everyone going for pre-season scrimmages/playdays?

3.  Top newcomers to make an impact (either a FR or a JV player ready to make an impact on varsity)

Edited by Cookevegas3