Preseason Predictions?

Playerscoach

Know some teams are playing their summer schedule of scrimmages already.

Let's start the discussion.

District II-A Middle-West

1. Knox Webb - until somebody beats them they will be #1. Lost large group of key Srs.

2- DCA - young but with new coach who knows?

3,4,5,- FCA,MJCA, Kings, Sewanee - all are building programs from the ground up

District II-A Middle

1. BGA - defending state champs and get best player back from injury.

2-3- FRA/USN - USN's speed vs FRA's technical ability.

4. St Cecelia - never know what the parochial schools will send?

5. Ezell - not enough but could sneak into the top 4.

6. Webb BB - limited numbers but working hard to improve

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget to factor in over-training injuries to some of the best players now that the USYSA clubs are participating in Region 3 Premier League games two weekends in August, one in September, and one in October AND because the TSAAA regulations concerning training with club teams are such a joke. As long as they are in "fewer than 6v6" situations, they can train to their hearts' delight.

It's a recipe for disaster, and no need to commence with the false argument about increasing the level of competition for the girls, especially in light of the over-training likelihood. This is not (no matter what anyone would like to claim) ECNL. Just more games on tired legs.

Don't forget to factor in over-training injuries to some of the best players now that the USYSA clubs are participating in Region 3 Premier League games two weekends in August, one in September, and one in October AND because the TSAAA regulations concerning training with club teams are such a joke. As long as they are in "fewer than 6v6" situations, they can train to their hearts' delight.

It's a recipe for disaster, and no need to commence with the false argument about increasing the level of competition for the girls, especially in light of the over-training likelihood. This is not (no matter what anyone would like to claim) ECNL. Just more games on tired legs.

Over training could happen without the SRPL games. Eiite players have been training forever so this is nothing new. Plus, the coaches running the better teams understand where their athletes need to be trained.

IMO a player is much more likely to be injured in a HS due to playing against unskilled players and playing for coaches who don't properly train/prepare their players.

I didn't make a comparison of "high school vs. club". Whether over-training may or may not happen in the absence of SRPL games, it is much more likely to happen WITH those games added during the high school season, as well as the training sessions that club coaches are going to demand occur in preparation for those weekends. That is pretty much indisputable. I challenge you to find a sports medicine doctor who will say otherwise.

You also conveniently ignore the accumulation of training sessions and what then may subsequently happen. Whether a club coach understands "where their athletes need to be trained" or not, that child is still training and playing with a high school team continuously. More work on her legs does not equate to rest, which is presumably what she would be doing if not training with her club team.

I also imagine club coaches know that they don't really have a compelling argument to dissuade kids from playing high school soccer, so it's tricky. Tell a teenager that her high school coach sucks, and she might just roll her eyes and say, "True, but I'm still playing with my friends." Tell her that she will get injured, and you will have forgotten that she is a teenager who views herself as indestructible. IMO, the best thing that could happen would be the creation of an "all-in" (no high school soccer allowed) club league that plays every weekend against the highest-possible competition available from contiguous states, and the strongest players will flock to it instead of high school soccer. How clubs sell that is up to them. The most competitive girls will get the training they need, and the girls who want to represent their high school teams will be able to do so. That is basically the DA model on the boys' side.

One of these days, we adults need to start considering the best interests of the kids. Forcing them to double-up, as RPL is doing and as the TSSAA has acquiesced to, doesn't do that.

Unfortunately, the TSSAA has allowed fear to govern their policy. The fear of lawsuits seems to be the major motivation for an organization that once stood for fair play and the student athlete's best interests. The major soccer clubs that have begged and threatened for the right to play in yet another league, the region premier league and the national league not being enough; well, they haven't changed one bit. Their motivation has always been greed and vanity. Now these clubs have finally managed to find a way to make travel soccer even more expensive. They will be able to collect two to four additional months of fees for all their high school players. Oh yes, they will also be able to go and rub shoulders with those teams who  beat them in other competitions but will be glad to do so one more time this year. 

Some will say that this new league will make soccer and especially Tennessee soccer better. These people must have a really poor high school coach ( there are a few out there who are better than most of these super clubs can offer), or they have never been on a team that has played in the region or national tournament. Even the most avid players come out of it struggling with burn-out. As dangerous as over-play is,and I agree it is the recipe for major injuries. The biggest career ender for high school age kids is burn-out. I would be willing to wager that many of these college bound players who are doubling up this fall will abandon soccer before the play in college. 

Neither the TSSAA nor the clubs are looking out for our players. I suppose it falls to the parents. 

Unfortunately, fear and vanity seem to be the primary factors for parents. Most parents seem to be afraid that their child will lose their place or position on the team. I am sure that the club coaches have stated or implied something to plant this seed. The other factor, vanity, is what seems to sustain club soccer. What else could drive parents to pay another $5,000 fees and travel on top of the $10,000 - $15,000 spent on the rest of the season? Considering that most of these players who do get scholarships will receive less than $5,000 per year to go to a place that wash't in their top three choices, the return is actually quite poor.

Why do these wonderful players want to play wretched high school soccer? A few lucky kids play on great teams. Some have great coaches. The luckiest have both. However, most are not so blessed. So why do they want to play? Ask them. Most will tell you that it is because it is fun.

It is fun to dress in their school colors and have someone other than parents and coaches watch them play. It is fun to hear their name or team's name on the announcements or to see it in the paper. As I recently heard one of these super club players say, "It is great to play with players I care about and for a coach that I actually like." With so much scholarship pressure and the encroachment of club soccer, most seem to have forgotten something called fun and the love of the game. With all of the flaws, so often stated on this site, of high school soccer, perhaps this is the one thing that high school soccer can teach these clubs: make soccer less of a job and more 

of a joy. 

I didn't make a comparison of "high school vs. club". Whether over-training may or may not happen in the absence of SRPL games, it is much more likely to happen WITH those games added during the high school season, as well as the training sessions that club coaches are going to demand occur in preparation for those weekends. That is pretty much indisputable. I challenge you to find a sports medicine doctor who will say otherwise.

You also conveniently ignore the accumulation of training sessions and what then may subsequently happen. Whether a club coach understands "where their athletes need to be trained" or not, that child is still training and playing with a high school team continuously. More work on her legs does not equate to rest, which is presumably what she would be doing if not training with her club team.

I also imagine club coaches know that they don't really have a compelling argument to dissuade kids from playing high school soccer, so it's tricky. Tell a teenager that her high school coach sucks, and she might just roll her eyes and say, "True, but I'm still playing with my friends." Tell her that she will get injured, and you will have forgotten that she is a teenager who views herself as indestructible. IMO, the best thing that could happen would be the creation of an "all-in" (no high school soccer allowed) club league that plays every weekend against the highest-possible competition available from contiguous states, and the strongest players will flock to it instead of high school soccer. How clubs sell that is up to them. The most competitive girls will get the training they need, and the girls who want to represent their high school teams will be able to do so. That is basically the DA model on the boys' side.

One of these days, we adults need to start considering the best interests of the kids. Forcing them to double-up, as RPL is doing and as the TSSAA has acquiesced to, doesn't do that.

I'm not going to respond with a tome. However, over training is possible with or without the SRPL based on the fact that elite players have trained for years outside of HS. That is the ONLY "indisputable" fact regarding your post. See how that works?

Now, I'm not sure why you didn't start your own thread about the new TSSAA ruling? Would you like to make a prediction about the HS team(s) you are familiar with?

D1 AAA

1) Houston - Only one loss in two years. Again they will have the most college caliber players and more depth than any high school should be allowed. 

2) Ravenwood - State finalist and semifinalist the past two years where they lost to Houston both years. Again they will have the second most college caliber and second deepest team. Good coach.

3) Clarksville - Undefeated state champs in 2015. A couple of extraordinary players and play team ball better than others. Probably lack the depth to repeat but some how did it last year.

4) Franklin - A traditional power in a hot bed for soccer. Plenty of quality players and a new but proven (on the boys side) coach

5) Hardin Valley - The best of the east last year. They beat Ravenwood in regular season but lost in the state.

Unfortunately, the TSSAA has allowed fear to govern their policy. The fear of lawsuits seems to be the major motivation for an organization that once stood for fair play and the student athlete's best interests. The major soccer clubs that have begged and threatened for the right to play in yet another league, the region premier league and the national league not being enough; well, they haven't changed one bit. Their motivation has always been greed and vanity. Now these clubs have finally managed to find a way to make travel soccer even more expensive. They will be able to collect two to four additional months of fees for all their high school players. Oh yes, they will also be able to go and rub shoulders with those teams who  beat them in other competitions but will be glad to do so one more time this year. 

Some will say that this new league will make soccer and especially Tennessee soccer better. These people must have a really poor high school coach ( there are a few out there who are better than most of these super clubs can offer), or they have never been on a team that has played in the region or national tournament. Even the most avid players come out of it struggling with burn-out. As dangerous as over-play is,and I agree it is the recipe for major injuries. The biggest career ender for high school age kids is burn-out. I would be willing to wager that many of these college bound players who are doubling up this fall will abandon soccer before the play in college. 

Neither the TSSAA nor the clubs are looking out for our players. I suppose it falls to the parents. 

Unfortunately, fear and vanity seem to be the primary factors for parents. Most parents seem to be afraid that their child will lose their place or position on the team. I am sure that the club coaches have stated or implied something to plant this seed. The other factor, vanity, is what seems to sustain club soccer. What else could drive parents to pay another $5,000 fees and travel on top of the $10,000 - $15,000 spent on the rest of the season? Considering that most of these players who do get scholarships will receive less than $5,000 per year to go to a place that wash't in their top three choices, the return is actually quite poor.

Why do these wonderful players want to play wretched high school soccer? A few lucky kids play on great teams. Some have great coaches. The luckiest have both. However, most are not so blessed. So why do they want to play? Ask them. Most will tell you that it is because it is fun.

It is fun to dress in their school colors and have someone other than parents and coaches watch them play. It is fun to hear their name or team's name on the announcements or to see it in the paper. As I recently heard one of these super club players say, "It is great to play with players I care about and for a coach that I actually like." With so much scholarship pressure and the encroachment of club soccer, most seem to have forgotten something called fun and the love of the game. With all of the flaws, so often stated on this site, of high school soccer, perhaps this is the one thing that high school soccer can teach these clubs: make soccer less of a job and more 

of a joy. 

and this years pre-season predictions are???????

Booger just sayin :mrgreen:

D1 AAA

1) Houston - Only one loss in two years. Again they will have the most college caliber players and more depth than any high school should be allowed.

2) Ravenwood - State finalist and semifinalist the past two years where they lost to Houston both years. Again they will have the second most college caliber and second deepest team. Good coach.

3) Clarksville - Undefeated state champs in 2015. A couple of extraordinary players and play team ball better than others. Probably lack the depth to repeat but some how did it last year.

4) Franklin - A traditional power in a hot bed for soccer. Plenty of quality players and a new but proven (on the boys side) coach

5) Hardin Valley - The best of the east last year. They beat Ravenwood in regular season but lost in the state.

Good list. I've not seen Houston or Hardin Valley play but have heard great things.

I've seen Celera Jordan play travel and she's fun to watch. Great skill, size and pace. She's on the same team with Carlie Paschall, McKenny and Harvey. Don't know if Jordan's committed but the others are going to Duke, Louisville and Georgia.

I know most about the freshman groups at Franklin and Ravenwood. Franklin has a young group that is very very good and should be exciting to watch the next few years. Ravenwood doesn't have the depth of Franklin but they have some good players plus a family moving in from Michigan that should add some depth to the team.

IMO in that area BGA has a Jr that, assuming shes 100% back from injury and stays healthy, will be the 2nd best Jr in Middle TN behind Paschall.

Assuming you are on a talented team, I predict (1) that most fall RPL league games will be lopsided blowouts, (2) several games will be cancelled only a few days before they are to be played, (3) that the kids will miss not having a 3 month break from their club coaches and (4) parents will complain when they witness how bad the RPL is!

Irish good coach, GPS good coach, and Baylor good coach and should be strong this year with some help from McMinn :) CCS has a strong freshman class to compliment the girls that didn't graduate. Grace has a great coach that can play soccer, what! Just watch for flying water bottles. Had to say it. McMinn reloads (yes I said reloads) with good freshman class of 11 competitive players with many upperclassmen that are ready to show what they can do that were hidden by the 8 Sr players that graduated.

Ensworth wins it all in Div II! :thumb: