08/20 Games

abouttogetmessi

Some good ones tonight peeps:

Ensworth @ CPA

Central Magnet @ Hume-Fogg (although Hume-Fogg seems down this year)

USN @ MLK (should be great!)

West Creek @ Station Camp

Columbia Academy @ Lipscomb

Chattanooga Christian @ CAK

WH-Heritage @ JPII

Franklin @ Oakland (heavyweight match-up)

Clarksville @ Brentwood (another heavyweight)

Centennial @ Page (don't know how good either team is)

Your thoughts on these? Which games stick out to you and will be competitive? Which games will end of being a blowouts?

Some good ones tonight peeps:

Ensworth @ CPA

Central Magnet @ Hume-Fogg (although Hume-Fogg seems down this year)

USN @ MLK (should be great!)

West Creek @ Station Camp

Columbia Academy @ Lipscomb

Chattanooga Christian @ CAK

WH-Heritage @ JPII

Franklin @ Oakland (heavyweight match-up)

Clarksville @ Brentwood (another heavyweight)

Centennial @ Page (don't know how good either team is)

Your thoughts on these? Which games stick out to you and will be competitive? Which games will end of being a blowouts?

MLK over USN - USN has injuries and lost key players. USN has a great Freshman keeper that will help them though.

CPA over Ensworth - close game. The Head Master at Ensworth is a great guy and friend but I think CPA is motivated after letting one slip away.

Brentwood over Clarksville - don't know a thing about BWood but Clarksville seems to be searching for their stride.

Franklin over Oakland - 3-1. Had a vision. :)

Lipscomb over Columbia - Guess

Heritage over JPII - too direct of a style for most HS coaches and teams. If JPII clogs the middle this could cause problems.

Spoiler Alert: DCA over FRA. More hope than brains in this pick. Haha

Ensworth is a GOOD squad.  This will be a great test for us to see how we bounce back from a tough loss.

CAK vs. CCS will tell a lot, as well.  I know what CAK has, so this should be a good measuring stick about CCS.

And nothing wrong with picking DCA over FRA...  DCA was near 100% shooting to finishing ratio in our game!  The same can happen again!

I still like USN over MLK. MLK is a one woman team. Don't get me wrong, she is extremely talented, but I see the team talent of USN winning out.

I like Oakland over Franklin as well. Oakland is a state contender I believe.

Clarksville's last score was very odd winning by one over Marshall County. Did they lose a lot from last year?

No clue on the CPA game.

Other picks I agree with you, playerscoach.

0-2 Ensworth over CPA.

Ensworth is a top notch team.  Great organization and discipline.  Good speed up top.  Good attack and team defense.

0-0 at half.

Shot count was slightly in E's favor, but we had some chances.  We just can't find the net these couple of weeks.

Either way, it was a good "bounce back" from a tough loss on Tuesday.  

I think Ensworth will go far this season.

It was a very even game, and during the second part of the first half, we were totally on our collective back foot. I don't think there was a chunk of the game like that where we had offensive dominance. You have a very good team, and I don't think I have seen a group of girls who are that good in the air in a long time. They also can play very quickly through the midfield. We were constantly playing a game of "Where's Waldo?" with KW. You all are going to be just fine this season. 

It was also good catching up on the Wesleyan-Greensboro Day rivalry. Those nights have been some of the most special in my time coaching (and I'm a GDS grad) -- the lack of football combined with the fall weather has made for some intense environments in October. Both have had numerous guys play D1 (ACC, to boot) and at some solid D3 programs. I still have bad memories of Luke Sanford jumping above our entire team to score a game-wining goal off a corner kick. Scott Reitnour is a phenomenal person and coach.

MLK per a USN parent had two center backs that played well. There weren't many quality chances for either team.

FRA pounded DCA 5-1 by shooting over the wall. DCA had a few opportunities and the keeper had an unfortunate bounce on a slow roller that led to scores. #15 controlled play and FRA played a very good possession game. She's an All State and POY candidate.

Page 3 Centennial 1

Robbie Stewart has CHS very organized and did great in creating space and playing out of the back.  Their number 13 in the center was awesome to watch.  She has great vision, skill, and her SAQ is above and beyond so many girls in high school soccer.  It was a great game, Page was able make a good read and intercept a ball being switched for the first goal.  Second goal they were able to find a great angle and a great first touch past the back line.  Each team had a penalty for the other goals where the defenders were just working hard to deny the other team.

I got the opportunity to go watch the JPII-Heritage game last night. It was tied at halftime and Heritage took the lead 2-1 with about 15 minutes left. JPII quickly capitalized to tie the score. The girl was clearly offsides, but no call (typical high school reffing). JPII quickly bounced on another chance and went up 3-2. The girl responsible for scoring both of Heritage's goals went down with an injury (some sort of leg injury), and did not return. Heritage had two great goal scoring opportunities at the end of the game, but both were not capitalized.

Overall, JPII was the more technical, possessive team. They were more skilled and tactical. Probably deserved to win the game outshooting the Heritage team; however, Heritage absorbs possession well and seems to understand the difference between dangerous possession and not dangerous possession. Also, Heritage is extremely dangerous with counters. IMO, both of these teams have the ability to make some noise in the postseason in their respective divisions. Heritage needs to stay healthy because they seem to be limited on the bench.

It was a very even game, and during the second part of the first half, we were totally on our collective back foot. I don't think there was a chunk of the game like that where we had offensive dominance. You have a very good team, and I don't think I have seen a group of girls who are that good in the air in a long time. They also can play very quickly through the midfield. We were constantly playing a game of "Where's Waldo?" with KW. You all are going to be just fine this season. 

It was also good catching up on the Wesleyan-Greensboro Day rivalry. Those nights have been some of the most special in my time coaching (and I'm a GDS grad) -- the lack of football combined with the fall weather has made for some intense environments in October. Both have had numerous guys play D1 (ACC, to boot) and at some solid D3 programs. I still have bad memories of Luke Sanford jumping above our entire team to score a game-wining goal off a corner kick. Scott Reitnour is a phenomenal person and coach.

It was great to finally meet you and amazing the "small world" of Wesleyan connections!  Luke Sanford is now the head coach at Indiana Wesleyan University (and just had a son)!  Feel old, don't ya?

Scott is incredible.  He has brought Wesleyan to a national contender year in and out.  I sure wish my boys team could play his.  Even if we got beaten, it would be great for us to play against such a classy team that is top quality.

I was very impressed with your squad.  Your keeper is top notch.  

I also am of the school that I would rather play quality opponents and see what our weaknesses are then play a game that might be an easy win but we don't really learn anything.

I am sure you all will go far.  Looking forward to seeing how you will do!   Best of luck!

• Upvote 1