Brentwood Academy is too talented &experienced this year to underperform

baylorbigdog1976

I love BA. I love the culture of the school and what the school represents. I have put 3 kids thru school there since 6th grade. In most years the football team has more athletes on the field than any school in D2 if not the state. Two of college footballs best players were on the same team if anyone needs a reminder and I can go back to 2009 and compile a list of teams and players who should have but never did. I am not here to criticize a high school football team. Life is much greater than football - but I would like to vent

Last night I watched a game that in my mind was won by a coaching staff and lost by another. There are bright spots on BA's sidelines but from my standpoint the play calling and the creativity to make adjustments to what the other team presents is sorely lacking. With the exception of Cam Johnson's 70 yard TD and the last drive where Trinity was in prevent Defense BA maybe had 120 yards of total offense with much of that on QB sneaks. I do believe Trinity is a national top 25 team but no one will convince me BA does not have more talent on this team than Trinity.

I have been around the game too long. How can BA only score 13 points with 3 SEC lineman and a WR who will more than likely will be the top recruit out of TN next year and a senior dominated team. BA should be able to run the ball on anyone and should be able to complete drives with the tools they have on offense.

I give credit to Trinity. They wanted it more- were better prepared - they executed better and they out hustled a more talented team. I don't understand shuffling in multiple QB's and running backs in such a big game. I don't understand the play calling. It is at times as unimaginative as any I have seen. You can get away with it when you play teams that are not so good but when you play great teams you need to be able to see the field and adjust. BA ran the ball - was ineffective with its passes and trinity loaded the box and knew exactly what was coming. We all did.

No one will convince me BA was not the more talented team last night athletically. Trinity as of now has one 2 star and one 3 star rated player from the class of 2016. No one is rated as of now in the class of 2017 or 2018. The first drive of the game last night looked all to familiar and predictable to me. QB sneaks on 3rd and long may work against teams of lesser talent but this is not youth football. Even Steve Spurrier has admitted his shuffling of QB's and personel was not always wise. I don't understand it. BA still has a shot but the coaching staff needs to start by looking at itself in the mirror and make changes. i give the play calling in big games a failing grade

Edited by baylorbigdog1976

I love BA. I love the culture of the school and what the school represents. I have put 3 kids thru school there since 6th grade. In most years the football team has more athletes on the field than any school in D2 if not the state. Two of college footballs best players were on the same team if anyone needs a reminder and I can go back to 2009 and compile a list of teams and players who should have but never did. I am not here to criticize a high school football team. Life is much greater than football - but I would like to vent

Last night I watched a game that in my mind was won by a coaching staff and lost by another. There are bright spots on BA's sidelines but from my standpoint the play calling and the creativity to make adjustments to what the other team presents is sorely lacking. With the exception of Cam Johnson's 70 yard TD and the last drive where Trinity was in prevent Defense BA maybe had 120 yards of total offense with much of that on QB sneaks. I do believe Trinity is a national top 25 team but no one will convince me BA does not have more talent on this team than Trinity.

I have been around the game too long. How can BA only score 13 points with 3 SEC lineman and a WR who will more than likely will be the top recruit out of TN next year and a senior dominated team. BA should be able to run the ball on anyone and should be able to complete drives with the tools they have on offense.

I give credit to Trinity. They wanted it more- were better prepared - they executed better and they out hustled a more talented team. I don't understand shuffling in multiple QB's and running backs in such a big game. I don't understand the play calling. It is at times as unimaginative as any I have seen. You can get away with it when you play teams that are not so good but when you play great teams you need to be able to see the field and adjust. BA ran the ball - was ineffective with its passes and trinity loaded the box and knew exactly what was coming. We all did.

No one will convince me BA was not the more talented team last night athletically. Trinity as of now has one 2 star and one 3 star rated player from the class of 2016. No one is rated as of now in the class of 2017 or 2018. The first drive of the game last night looked all to familiar and predictable to me. QB sneaks on 3rd and long may work against teams of lesser talent but this is not youth football. Even Steve Spurrier has admitted his shuffling of QB's and personel was not always wise. I don't understand it. BA still has a shot but the coaching staff needs to start by looking at itself in the mirror and make changes. i give the play calling in big games a failing grade

I won't argue with you about some of the play calling but Triinity totally controlled our OL the entire night. We could not run ball outside of scrambles by JO. That's not all playing calling.  They were quicker and certainly more determined in the trenches than BA. And likewise, once the defense wore down the same was true on the defensive side with the 4Q being owned by trinity.  Lots of hype about the BA OL - was not there last night. And BA does not have the speed they have had in yrs past - yes Cam certainly does but in fall of 2012 for ex, multiple breakaway guys. BA won every single state sprint c-ship that year, not only setting a record in 1-2 of the them, but also having the best times in any classification across the state in almost all of them and also having top times in a couple vs states across the country. Every one of those guys was a BA football skill position guy (and if i recall correctly ramsey only ran in one of those events by the way).  Receivers last night were not getting themselves open other than johnson. Anyway I agree there was some suspect playcalling but trinity came to play.  Talent is there but both ends, coaches and players need to step it up and not take for granted, "wow we are talented".    

I'm going to have to go with Baylor in this one. Trinity dared BA to throw the ball, which isn't a strong suit of it's talented and athletic QB's. Trinity did what good teams do...take away a strength (BA's running game), and expose your weaknesses--lack of accuracy by the QB's. I also take issue with the playcalling, but much more so in the scheme. When you have the size and apparent talent that BA does on it's offensive line, it's just a no brainer that an I formation team, with lineman firing off the ball in a 3 point stance, with a fullback behind them, will get more push and leverage in the running game. That's what BA should do with their noticeable size advantage. It also takes the pressure off the QB, opens up bootleg options and the play action pass--if used exclusively I just think they would be formidable. Even if BA doesn't possess the speed it has had in the past (as Meritage points out), open recievers have been missed more times than not in the first 2 games. Also, not a game goes by without an errant snap from center while BA is in the shotgun...it's ridiculous. As far as the defensive side of the ball is concerned, BA gave up over 30 points in 5 games last year. This year, it's now one, and obviously to a very good team. BA's front 7 on Defense are very small--with the exception of Adams (LB's are tiny), and I worry that equally talented teams in DII, and we know who they are, will line up and run over the front 7. You can only counter that with a lot of pressure, stunts, and run blitzes, but you do expose your secondary when that happens. The D was gassed in the 4th quarter last night, and just wilted under Trinity's ground attack--with nary a substitution as far as I noticed.

I'm just a fan, and am not informed as far as how good BA's coaches are. My opinions are those of a spectator's--but I do have a gut, and it tells me that given equal talent on both sides of the ball between BA and it's opponent--when BA kicks off to start each game, it does so in the hole. I just sense that this staff is stubborn, and after 3 years and going on 4, I feel like I'm watching more of the same. I sure hope I'm wrong, for I have been a fan for a long time, and wish nothing but the best for the kids, alums, fans, and coaches.

I guess I could sit back and be happy that BA averages 8-9 wins a year, and say that they win most of their games, and isn't that enough? It's HS football after all. However, given the amount of emphasis the school places on football, it's Div II lead in numbers of players receiving financial aid, it's facilities, etc, I think the coaching staff should be held to a different standard. If the school and it's customers (parents) are going to make those investments, then a state championship every now and then in a league of 10 teams should be expected.

I won't argue with you about some of the play calling but Triinity totally controlled our OL the entire night. We could not run ball outside of scrambles by JO. That's not all playing calling. They were quicker and certainly more determined in the trenches than BA. And likewise, once the defense wore down the same was true on the defensive side with the 4Q being owned by trinity. Lots of hype about the BA OL - was not there last night. And BA does not have the speed they have had in yrs past - yes Cam certainly does but in fall of 2012 for ex, multiple breakaway guys. BA won every single state sprint c-ship that year, not only setting a record in 1-2 of the them, but also having the best times in any classification across the state in almost all of them and also having top times in a couple vs states across the country. Every one of those guys was a BA football skill position guy (and if i recall correctly ramsey only ran in one of those events by the way). Receivers last night were not getting themselves open other than johnson. Anyway I agree there was some suspect playcalling but trinity came to play. Talent is there but both ends, coaches and players need to step it up and not take for granted, "wow we are talented".

BA year in and year out has more talent than any team in the state. Seeing them underperform shouldn't be a surprise.

BA year in and year out has more talent than any team in the state. Seeing them underperform shouldn't be a surprise.

Well a long way yet to go obvously in DII this season. I guess we'll have to see if they can get by that reputation this yr. No doubt BA has a challenging sched incl the OCC games. The hope is this staff has them peak at the right time. We'll see

For what it's worth I agree 100% with your post.

I'm going to have to go with Baylor in this one. Trinity dared BA to throw the ball, which isn't a strong suit of it's talented and athletic QB's. Trinity did what good teams do...take away a strength (BA's running game), and expose your weaknesses--lack of accuracy by the QB's. I also take issue with the playcalling, but much more so in the scheme. When you have the size and apparent talent that BA does on it's offensive line, it's just a no brainer that an I formation team, with lineman firing off the ball in a 3 point stance, with a fullback behind them, will get more push and leverage in the running game. That's what BA should do with their noticeable size advantage. It also takes the pressure off the QB, opens up bootleg options and the play action pass--if used exclusively I just think they would be formidable. Even if BA doesn't possess the speed it has had in the past (as Meritage points out), open recievers have been missed more times than not in the first 2 games. Also, not a game goes by without an errant snap from center while BA is in the shotgun...it's ridiculous. As far as the defensive side of the ball is concerned, BA gave up over 30 points in 5 games last year. This year, it's now one, and obviously to a very good team. BA's front 7 on Defense are very small--with the exception of Adams (LB's are tiny), and I worry that equally talented teams in DII, and we know who they are, will line up and run over the front 7. You can only counter that with a lot of pressure, stunts, and run blitzes, but you do expose your secondary when that happens. The D was gassed in the 4th quarter last night, and just wilted under Trinity's ground attack--with nary a substitution as far as I noticed.

I'm just a fan, and am not informed as far as how good BA's coaches are. My opinions are those of a spectator's--but I do have a gut, and it tells me that given equal talent on both sides of the ball between BA and it's opponent--when BA kicks off to start each game, it does so in the hole. I just sense that this staff is stubborn, and after 3 years and going on 4, I feel like I'm watching more of the same. I sure hope I'm wrong, for I have been a fan for a long time, and wish nothing but the best for the kids, alums, fans, and coaches.

I guess I could sit back and be happy that BA averages 8-9 wins a year, and say that they win most of their games, and isn't that enough? It's HS football after all. However, given the amount of emphasis the school places on football, it's Div II lead in numbers of players receiving financial aid, it's facilities, etc, I think the coaching staff should be held to a different standard. If the school and it's customers (parents) are going to make those investments, then a state championship every now and then in a league of 10 teams should be expected.

I wouldn't hit the panic button yet on BA's season.   However, this staff is very questionable at best.  They have more athletes and players than any team in the state.   With that OL, they should be able to line up and run the ball pretty effectively.  And if they don't have a breakaway RB, they should move Cam to running back.   They have plenty of athletes and should be able to find a tailback. 

Are they playing both JO and Schoenwald at QB?  If so, they need go with JO, and play the other at receiver.   

I wouldn't hit the panic button yet on BA's season. However, this staff is very questionable at best. They have more athletes and players than any team in the state. With that OL, they should be able to line up and run the ball pretty effectively. And if they don't have a breakaway RB, they should move Cam to running back. They have plenty of athletes and should be able to find a tailback.

Are they playing both JO and Schoenwald at QB? If so, they need go with JO, and play the other at receiver.

Saw where their former freshman QB, who's now a Jr, is the starter at Station Camp. Just an embarassment of richies every year. Edited by Playerscoach

Saw where their former freshman QB, who's now a Jr, is the starter at Station Camp. Just an embarassment of richies every year.

He was the 3rd string QB on the freshmen team.  Which is why he is at Station Camp.  Oatsvall was a freshmen, and Schoenwald was coming right behind them.  Probably a good move.