• Watermelon
  • Strawberry
  • Maroon
  • Orange
  • Gold
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal

Welcome to the upgraded message boards!  Please note: if you have been using a username to sign in that is different than the handle (display name) displayed on the boards, you must now sign in with either your handle (display name) or the email address associated with your account.  If you don't know what this means, then it probably doesn't affect you!

Sign in to follow this  
Rabble Rouser

The real impact of the TSSAA vote

So, who do you think really wins following the vote yesterday?

The privates have just been given carte blanche to recruit. If you thought they were stealing your kids before, now it is legal.

They also were given free reign to go after the public school's good coaches, and they can pay them more than and they don't have to teach at the school.

And, is it not likely that because of those things, the quality of play in the public only leagues drops? Does anyone believe it will rise? Meaning, if you have a kid who you think has a chance of being good, do you want him playing in a weak league?

I guess, in short, does anyone see this improving sports in the public school divisions and if so, how?

Oh, and another issue just mentioned to me: Don't think the private schools will just recruit the best athletes. They will also go after the smartest kids and the best musicians, etc. Why shouldn't they?

Oh, and another issue just mentioned to me: Don't think the private schools will just recruit the best athletes. They will also go after the smartest kids and the best musicians, etc. Why shouldn't they?

They always have anyway, now the publics won't have to compete against their "own" kids to advance in the playoffs. With the progress of the voucher bill, it would have only been a few years before taxpayers would have been paying tuition for privates to take a public school's kids to beat them with. Makes me shake my head in wonderment that the general public can't see the impending failure of the public school system in this country...pay the privates to "cherry-pick" the athletes (and academic upper echelon) of their choosing from the public system, then compare privates and publics against each other. 

They always have anyway, now the publics won't have to compete against their "own" kids to advance in the playoffs. With the progress of the voucher bill, it would have only been a few years before taxpayers would have been paying tuition for privates to take a public school's kids to beat them with. Makes me shake my head in wonderment that the general public can't see the impending failure of the public school system in this country...pay the privates to "cherry-pick" the athletes (and academic upper echelon) of their choosing from the public system, then compare privates and publics against each other. 

Great post

well stated