Girls and Boys playing in the Spring

Big Poppa 17

Hey can anyone answer a question for me? I was told during the that currently HS players could only play in three (3) ECNL events but have since heard from others it's unlimited? Which is it?

My understanding of this is that the CURRENT rule (of course, this could change) is that only the 3 events are allowed.

We had an incident that a team was going to send girls to a tournament this weekend, yet, when we researched it, was not allowed.

I could be wrong, however.  It seems that the legislation of the premier league rules is changing (since the Station Camp ruling, I'm not sure anymore).

My understanding of this is that the CURRENT rule (of course, this could change) is that only the 3 events are allowed.

We had an incident that a team was going to send girls to a tournament this weekend, yet, when we researched it, was not allowed.

I could be wrong, however. It seems that the legislation of the premier league rules is changing (since the Station Camp ruling, I'm not sure anymore).

"

1. Girls’ soccer student athletes may participate in Olympic Development Program competitions which have been recognized with the National Federation of State High School Associations.

2. Girls’ soccer student athletes may participate in U.S. Youth Soccer Region III Premier League competitions.

3. Girls’ soccer student athletes may participate in U.S. Youth Soccer Elite Clubs National League (ECNL) competitions."

Thoughts?

"

1. Girls’ soccer student athletes may participate in Olympic Development Program competitions which have been recognized with the National Federation of State High School Associations.

2. Girls’ soccer student athletes may participate in U.S. Youth Soccer Region III Premier League competitions.

3. Girls’ soccer student athletes may participate in U.S. Youth Soccer Elite Clubs National League (ECNL) competitions."

Thoughts?

Since I have only had boys playing soccer, I was not aware of these 3 exceptions.  I am a little surprised.  Do they have exceptions for any other sports?

I received an email yesterday about this topic.  I can't believe this is actually being considered.  Over half of the coaches in our district coach both boys and girls teams.  How are we going to find that many more coaches?  We can barely get refs for the games we have.  How are we going to cover twice as many games?  Most teams struggle to get buses for away games now, with baseball and softball in the spring.  Who has 2 practice fields?  I can't believe that a meeting between a few private school coaches and travel team representatives could lead to thousands of players being without a coach or even possibly a team, so that a select few could have the opportunity to choose to play on multiple teams.

Why don't they move college football to the spring so that players can play in the NFL while in college?  

I received an email yesterday about this topic.  I can't believe this is actually being considered.  Over half of the coaches in our district coach both boys and girls teams.  How are we going to find that many more coaches?  We can barely get refs for the games we have.  How are we going to cover twice as many games?  Most teams struggle to get buses for away games now, with baseball and softball in the spring.  Who has 2 practice fields?  I can't believe that a meeting between a few private school coaches and travel team representatives could lead to thousands of players being without a coach or even possibly a team, so that a select few could have the opportunity to choose to play on multiple teams.

Why don't they move college football to the spring so that players can play in the NFL while in college?  

I don't know that it is "private school" coaches. I'm one, and I know that I am steadfastly against the move to the spring. I have 4 players that have played SRPL this season, and 3 of them are underclassmen. It's a heck of a lot easier to find a way to work with the club coaches during the three or four fall weekend SRPL dates than MOVE AN ENTIRE SEASON. The independent game participation rule, while it may not be long for this world, seems to work okay in my opinion.

After reading that same email, and the posts on this thread...I am starting to agree with you.  This whole thing smells like a plan to help the elite travel teams and the very, very few high school teams (mostly private schools) that this affects.  And quite honestly, I am sick and tired of these travel coaches thinking that they are superior to high school coaches!  "Wow! You have a 'D' license...that must have been a hard weekend for you!"  They practice two or three times a week, play their games on a Saturday, coach against teams that are the same age and level of skill as their players...how hard is that?  My biggest victory as a coach was back in 2007 when I took my team that had all of 1 guy playing travel, and we beat a vastly more talented team, on the road, that made the state tournament that year...travel coaches will never have that feeling.

Wouldn't it just be best to get rid of the independent game rule and leave soccer in the fall?

Wouldn't that work for both the clubs and schools?

How about enforcing the independent rule strictly, and if the girls leave for ENCL, so be it? The dropping of the rule or the movement of the season are both things that benefit schools of privilege (the schools in Memphis, Nashville, Chattanooga, and Knoxville areas.) Consequently, these are the schools that have the most travel players. Rural county school athletes have very few of the privileges available to these urban areas. The suggestion to move the season based upon the needs of these urban schools to keep their players is ludicrous!

How about enforcing the independent rule strictly, and if the girls leave for ENCL, so be it? The dropping of the rule or the movement of the season are both things that benefit schools of privilege (the schools in Memphis, Nashville, Chattanooga, and Knoxville areas.) Consequently, these are the schools that have the most travel players. Rural county school athletes have very few of the privileges available to these urban areas. The suggestion to move the season based upon the needs of these urban schools to keep their players is ludicrous!

If the pressure to move affects everyone and it's over club soccer just abolish the ind game rule.

That's the easiest solution and one that frankly seems the most likely real reason by the push for sweeping changes. Ask for a huge change when only a little one is your goal.

This seems like a strategy that may be in play here?