District 8AA 2015-2016

8AAwatcher

"Listen, Both Guffey and Shepperson are very good players.

VictoryFormation talked about Guffey getting denied 25 ft from the basket. That is one player guarding him. Shepperson is very talented, especially for his size, but for the most part is played straight up. Blevins faces at least a double team EVERY time he touches the ball.

I am not trying to diminish either player, but Guffey had two respectable games, but neither were eye opening against York and they're so called "mediocre" perimeter players. Shepperson had one average game and one stellar game against York but was never doubled (maybe in hindsight we should have in the one last week!).

Just feel like Blevins has much more resistance in every game to face than the other two do, and it's not even close imo.

Hope King's injury isn't serious. He is a very good player."

Livingston didn't double team him. They couldn't, the threat from 3 was too dangerous. The MVP should go to the best player, on the best team and York is definitely not that. I could see the case for Guffey with Upperman. I just think it's wrong that Blevins gets all this hype because he's a 6'8 shooter, and people think he's the greatest thing this district has ever seen and yes he's good, very good but he plays on a middle of the pack district team. The MVP should take a mediocre team and make them better than 6-6 in the district, without him their still probably 6-6. You take Shepperson away from Smith County and they probably aren't 1st in the district. But he makes that impact. He's the most valuable player on the best team, not the most valuable player on the 5th place team in the district. That's the difference.

Take Blevins off York and they wouldn't win a single game. Blevins is a Division1 Player and the ONLY D1 Player in the Entire District in the Class of 2016. Hands down the MVP, its makes for a very different game when the opposing Coachs entire game plan is to slow down 1 player,sees double teams with help coming every night. Top 5 player in the State and possibly the best player in the State(most college potential) not many 6'8" guys out there that can do what Blevins can do,shoot from 25,handle the ball,good defender & very unselfish(should shoot more) I do Not have a Dog in this at all,but Blevins is the best Player in that District in the Class of 2016 Hands Down

Take Blevins off York and they wouldn't win a single game. Blevins is a Division1 Player and the ONLY D1 Player in the Entire District in the Class of 2016. Hands down the MVP, its makes for a very different game when the opposing Coachs entire game plan is to slow down 1 player,sees double teams with help coming every night. Top 5 player in the State and possibly the best player in the State(most college potential) not many 6'8" guys out there that can do what Blevins can do,shoot from 25,handle the ball,good defender & very unselfish(should shoot more) I do Not have a Dog in this at all,but Blevins is the best Player in that District in the Class of 2016 Hands Down

Shepperson is a sophomore... And should win mvp that says a lot but could see guffey winnings it with ease too... Tell me where Blevins is a good defender? Lol he is by far the laziest player in the district, probably state... Not trying to bash him.. But his attitude is very poor, but If he played with heart and 110% he could be the best in state but he isn't... And you could take Blevins off that team and they would still be a 5-6 seed team...

Shepperson is a sophomore... And should win mvp that says a lot but could see guffey winnings it with ease too... Tell me where Blevins is a good defender? Lol he is by far the laziest player in the district, probably state... Not trying to bash him.. But his attitude is very poor, but If he played with heart and 110% he could be the best in state but he isn't... And you could take Blevins off that team and they would still be a 5-6 seed team...

OK, You have your opinion and are entitled to it. Like I said Blevins is a D1 Player, that should say enough. I have seen York play and IMO without him they may win 2 games at the most but I doubt it, different game driving to the rim with him in the game vs when he isn't,his presence around the basket on defense is worth 15 points alone. MVP should go to the BEST PLAYER regardless of wins and losses IMO, sometimes the best player is simply on a Bad Team...And if you think that Blevins is playing lazy, that's Coaching IMO. But even if he is lazy he is still the best in that District & Upperman has the 2nd best College Prospect (2017)

LOL that you can say he may be the best player in the state. That's quiet possibly the dumbest thing that has been said in this thread. What presence around the basket? He doesn't play defense. Again, he is a very good player and I am taking nothing away from him. I'm just shocked that someone thinks he may be the best player in the state. I don't think the best player in any state would go to Tech, there is more to the game of basketball than you obviously know about. It's a team game, and if you're team is 6-6 then obviously there is something wrong. I mean watch basketball, tell me one MVP or POY of the year award that has went to a player on a team that goes .500 in district of conference play.

Edited by bustin55

LOL that you can say he may be the best player in the state. That's quiet possibly the dumbest thing that has been said in this thread. What presence around the basket? He doesn't play defense. Again, he is a very good player and I am taking nothing away from him. I'm just shocked that someone thinks he may be the best player in the state. I don't think the best player in any state would go to Tech, there is more to the game of basketball than you obviously know about. It's a team game, and if you're team is 6-6 then obviously there is something wrong. I mean watch basketball, tell me one MVP or POY of the year award that has went to a player on a team that goes .500 in district of conference play.

Zack castle was the district 7A MVP his senior year(class of 2012 from Monterey). They were last in the district and actually didn't win a district game. They were also eliminated in the play in game. He averaged around 25 points per game I would say and they competed in every district game, but didn't win one. I say that to say that it happens. Not often, but occasionally. There are more examples I could give, but one will suffice just to say it happens.

That being said, typically there are 3/4 players per district that you could make the argument for. But let's say all the players are in a "fantasy draft," who do you take first?? Maybe one of those guys that have been mentioned? A guard? Or do you take the only versatile 6'8 player that can play inside and out?

I have no dog in this race whatsoever, but have seen all these teams play and I know which one I would select first. And I am betting most coaches will agree come Friday morning.

Why do you think Upperman would win the tie breaker if Macon finishes above York? York would be a worse loss than Macon in this scenario giving Smith the 1 seed. You are correct that Macon could finish in a tie for 1st place. Macon would not get the 1 seed because they were swept by Upperman.

They will go how they play head to head and then how their records go starting with the next highest seed.  If Macon is above York, Upperman wins because they swept Macon and Smith will at best split.

He chose Tech because it was close to home, He was also recruited by Virginia,Mercer and Tennessee was inquiring. Kid can play, he is a D1 player getting a full scholarship at a D1 School,name 1 other kid from that district in 2016 that will get a D1 basketball scholarship. I will wait for your educated response. MVP means Most Valuable Player & IMO he is by far and away the MVP. My Opinion. Don't care either way

Zack castle was the district 7A MVP his senior year(class of 2012 from Monterey). They were last in the district and actually didn't win a district game. They were also eliminated in the play in game. He averaged around 25 points per game I would say and they competed in every district game, but didn't win one. I say that to say that it happens. Not often, but occasionally. There are more examples I could give, but one will suffice just to say it happens.

That being said, typically there are 3/4 players per district that you could make the argument for. But let's say all the players are in a "fantasy draft," who do you take first?? Maybe one of those guys that have been mentioned? A guard? Or do you take the only versatile 6'8 player that can play inside and out?

I have no dog in this race whatsoever, but have seen all these teams play and I know which one I would select first. And I am betting most coaches will agree come Friday morning.

Agreed. I don't have a single family member in district 8AA, but for someone to say that Blevens isn't the best kid in that district is comical. I guarantee you every coach in that region regardless of classification would take him first if they were picking teams. No Brainer, Some folks think with their heart instead of their brain

Haven't heard all of the Shepperson talk until very recently. Kid is good but if he had to deal with what Blevins does game in, game out he wouldn't score 8 a game.

That being said York has completely fallen apart. I know some people blame coaching. My opinion, you have 5 seniors and 2 juniors with considerable experience. Sometimes the kids don't hold up their end... And before anybody comments, mine is one of those 7.

No reason why this group shouldn't be at worst 2nd or 3rd in the district.... AT WORST.

Defensively,, only 2 or 3 of them seem to care if anybody scores on them.

No excuses, this team has severely underperformed.

I just caught up on all the recent posts so I have a hand-full of points to make:

1. ref83 is just a jerk and possibly the most ignorant person I've ever come across.

2. POY should be Blevins. I agree with Hyperquick saying that if you take Blevins off that team, they would be very bad. Take Shepperson off SC and they are still very competitive in the district. Guffy is a great player on a great team, but you don't game plan for him like you do for Blevins. If anyone thinks that you don't gameplan for Blevins then you are sadly mistaken. Also, Blevins did have interest from good schools. I heard a rumor that he had a kid and wanted to stay close and that is why he chose tech. Just a rumor. Does anybody know if that is true?

3. COY should be Worsley at Magnet. Look at the difference from last year to this year. This is only his second year there too. Hats off to the work he's done.

4. DOY. That's a tough one. I don't have a strong opinion on it, but Huff's body type does allow him to gaurd people inside and out. Haven't watched enough SC games to really know though.

5. Man, some of you guys need a grammar lesson. Some of my spelling sucks but for the love of God learn when to use Their, They're, and There.

Edited by ThatRadioGuy

He chose Tech because it was close to home, He was also recruited by Virginia,Mercer and Tennessee was inquiring. Kid can play, he is a D1 player getting a full scholarship at a D1 School,name 1 other kid from that district in 2016 that will get a D1 basketball scholarship. I will wait for your educated response. MVP means Most Valuable Player & IMO he is by far and away the MVP. My Opinion. Don't care either way

Time will tell. He can play and I would almost bet that Rick Barnes was just dying to have him (sarcasm). Endicott could go to Tech so there's one, and i'm sure coach Bennett has been to Jamestown to recruit him too. I can believe Mercer but Tennessee and Virginia? IMO he is a very good player and i'm glad he's getting his school paid for. Talk to coaches in the district and ask them if they would want him to play for them, you'd be surprised at the responses you would get. I'm just saying it doesn't seem right IMO that the best player in the district can't lead his team to a better record than York has in this district. I'm sure he gets doubled and tripled but that isn't an excuse for your team to be 6-6 in district play. Take the big kids from Livingston over the years, they lived in a double team but they always finished 1st or 2nd in the district. I understand he's a D1 prospect and all that, that's great. The most valuable player to his team this year in this district, I don't believe so. But that's just my opinion.