Classless Scott Tidwell move

bigchief

I'll try this one more time. Obviously you have an issue with Lipscomb and their coach and I will not be able to change your mind about him. At best Lipscombs kicker can reach the end zone 25% of the time. The reason you don't kick it deep in that situation is that you don't want to risk injury. Lipscomb and I'm sure other programs do not have a second string kicking unit. There are many starters on the kicking team and it is just not worth trying to kick deep....pooch it and game over. No one would ever kick an on sides kick up 45-7 with 22 seconds left and a running clock. If it went only to the front line that was probably a mistake but I can guarantee you they did not try an on sides kick. That is just a ridiculous claim. Do you honestly think they wanted the ball back with less than 10 seconds left and a running clock? Do you honestly think Coach was trying to embarrass GP?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had no problem with Lipscomb or TIllman until about 9:00 Friday night.

It was a running clock. If you take a knee with 22 seconds left even with 4th down, Goodpasture never gets on the field to run a play. Eliminates the next bad decision right there.

I have many friends associated with both the high school and college. I am on the campus all the time. That will not change because of this. Again the only "issue" I have is with poor sportsmanship in a leadership postion.  Unfortunately this kind of crap has become more the rule than the exception.

Good luck to you.

It was a running clock. If you take a knee with 22 seconds left even with 4th down, Goodpasture never gets on the field to run a play. Eliminates the next bad decision right there.

I have many friends associated with both the high school and college. I am on the campus all the time. That will not change because of this. Again the only "issue" I have is with poor sportsmanship in a leadership postion. Unfortunately this kind of crap has become more the rule than the exception.

Good luck to you.

Wasn't there. But I agree about taking a knee with a running clock.

No dog in the hunt but just watched it on NFHS network. I agree totally there was no need for anything else but to take a knee on 4th down. Also watched the ensuing kickoff, it was most definitely an onside kick. The Goodpasture folks covering the broadcast were also puzzled by the call.

Edited by OnlineLC

Easy to say as an online poster that you have "no dog in the hunt". If you think LA would onside a kick with a running clock with 22 seconds left you are definitely a GP homer....didn't happen. I watched it again and the second line caught it.

Come on...stop giving your players an excuse...bad officiating, unsportsmanlike coaches....you guys have a lot of young talent. It should be a great game over the next few years.

Coach Scott Tillman up 38-7 in the 4th quarter decides he needs to score another TD from 13 yards out with 22 seconds left instead of having class and taking a knee.

Then to solidify his jerk status, he  onside kicks. Lost all respect for you tonight Scott.

And before any of you LA backers come on and embarass yourself saying it it the defense's job to stop the ball just save your hot air. The onside kick cannot be explained other than a classless jerk move. Stuff like this always comes back to get you.

And yes I will tell him this myself also.

Coach was obviously sending someone a BIg message and probably well deserved! WhiningTIT post!

The score was 38-7 on the play you are referring to, so the clock was not running. Lipscomb was up 31 points, not the 35 to get a running clock. It was running for awhile, and then Goodpasture scored. Just went back and looked at the play. Lipscomb ran a trap to the split end side. The back broke it off to the left side. Probably not what the coaches had in mind, but you have already judged their intentions. There was an unblocked LBer who would have made the play had the back not ran backside. In my mind, there is a big difference in running up the middle on the split end side with the 3rd/4th string in from the 12 yard line and throwing a pass into the endzone, but I know others will disagree. If they get stopped, the clock stops on the change of possession. The running clock didn't start until after Lipscomb kicked off after the score, by rule. As for the "onside kick", it may have looked like one, but it was intended to hit between the 30 and 35. It was a mis-hit by the kicker. You already have your mind made up about what to think, so you will think it and be reaching an incorrect conclusion about Coach Tillman. He taught both of my kids and is as fine of a man as I have ever known. Too late to change it, so you will just have to think what you want to think.

Edited by tackle

I have many friends associated with both the high school and college. I am on the campus all the time. That will not change because of this. Again the only "issue" I have is with poor sportsmanship in a leadership postion. Unfortunately this kind of crap has become more the rule than the exception.

Good luck to you.

BigChief

Just wandering if you called the academy to discuss with the head coach or if you have had time to cool off and reconsider your position? I would believe that two C of C coaches could reasonably discuss if this was intentional and work it out. Good luck for the rest of the year.