Starting a Middle School football team

Sequoyah SID

We are looking into starting a middle school team at Sequoyah. It would be combining players from Vonore & Madisonville middle schools. What are some do's & don't's to starting a program? What conferences/leagues are around Monroe County that we might be able to join? Any input or suggestions would be much appreciated! please be serious and willing to give helpful information on your comments. We would very much want to get this program started next year if possible. Thanks in advance for any help!

• 4 months later...

I was in your shoes and started not only a football program but all middle school sports.  Coca Cola provided us with 5K for uniforms/equipment in exchange for a big Coca Cola electronic scoreboard in our new gym 

Fundraisers are the key.  Cheerleading, Volleyball, Soccer, Wrestling, Basketball and Track & Field were our sports in Middle School.  Football Helmets and Shoulder pads are expensive and must be maintained and refreshed every couple of years.  Hopefully you will get some of the equipment from the two other schools you mentioned.  Get hand me downs from the High School you feed into.  Get the HS coaches to put on a clinic for your guys towards the end of the summer

I opened up the middle school gym two days a week in the summer for the kids to come and shoot ball.  This allowed me to stay in touch with my student athletes through the summer and to make sure they were in shape to start the fall season