Tennessee High (5-3) @ David Crockett (4-5)

THSSpectre7

No and I don't think any of them are bad coaches if the school system and parents would let them do their jobs and quit telling them who to play they may not be so stressed and be able to do what they are supposed to. And last week it was up to the coaches to get them ready for Crockett but when kids think a team is bad bc they had never beat us (THS) before then they just automatically assume to win. Which def wasn't the case. It was everyone's fault equally.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I may, I don't think this is so much on Coach Mays I think the players just walked in expecting to beat Crockett no problem and instead got their butt kicked by a team that was essentially playing a playoff game. There are problems but i'm keeping the faith for now. I know he's not a bad coach like he's getting put on here. 

"Performance is only a reflection of preparation (at this level), and preparation is a reflection of leadership". So you're saying you don't agree with that statement? The coaching staff is not only responsible for the play calling, but also physically and mentally preparing the players for competition at ANY level. IMO coach Mays would be totally responsible for this loss to Crockett for the very reason that you stated you think we lose.  If "the players just walked in expecting to beat Crockett" then there wasn't enough urgency stressed to them during the week of practice by the coaching staff.  Xs and Os are the easy(er) part of coaching. Preparation is what separates a program like Maryville form EVERYBODY ELSE.

With your point of view.... I'm curious as to if you think that starting #16 would improve the performance of this team, or if you think it even matters?

"Performance is only a reflection of preparation (at this level), and preparation is a reflection of leadership". So you're saying you don't agree with that statement? The coaching staff is not only responsible for the play calling, but also physically and mentally preparing the players for competition at ANY level. IMO coach Mays would be totally responsible for this loss to Crockett for the very reason that you stated you think we lose. If "the players just walked in expecting to beat Crockett" then there wasn't enough urgency stressed to them during the week of practice by the coaching staff. Xs and Os are the easy(er) part of coaching. Preparation is what separates a program like Maryville form EVERYBODY ELSE.

With your point of view.... I'm curious as to if you think that starting #16 would improve the performance of this team, or if you think it even matters?

I've said since Day 1 that 16 should start and I think he improves our chances of winning. I think he ignited something in the team in that 4th quarter that I haven't seen prior.

I've said since Day 1 that 16 should start and I think he improves our chances of winning. I think he ignited something in the team in that 4th quarter that I haven't seen prior.

7 - That is a funny jersey number coincidence, because there is another team around here that should have been starting #16 ....

OK first off no one said he was a "BAD" coach i think the term was inexperienced as an experienced head coach would delt with this daddy Moneybags and QB situation 6 games ago and not let it drag out and effect the whole team and would have had the team prepared for crockett as well. So i guess for the time being these kids have to suffer through his inexperience as a head coach and hope he learns fast. But not gonna hold my breath :angry:

"Performance is only a reflection of preparation (at this level), and preparation is a reflection of leadership". So you're saying you don't agree with that statement? The coaching staff is not only responsible for the play calling, but also physically and mentally preparing the players for competition at ANY level. IMO coach Mays would be totally responsible for this loss to Crockett for the very reason that you stated you think we lose.  If "the players just walked in expecting to beat Crockett" then there wasn't enough urgency stressed to them during the week of practice by the coaching staff.  Xs and Os are the easy(er) part of coaching. Preparation is what separates a program like Maryville form EVERYBODY ELSE.

Exactly B)

This is his 3rd year as head coach.  He should've already faced similar issues and learned from them by now.  After Boggs left, I was a proponent of them picking a someone who could possibly maintain stability within the program.  I think he knows what he needs to do, for some reason he's just not doing it.  I hope we don't have to deal with qb situation again next year.