A/AA State Semi Finals

BigG

Just making a separate thread for the semi finals.

Page vs. Greeneville:  

Tough one here.  Coach Eiskamp was my college coach and in my wedding.  Some of the girls on his team were my wife's college team mate's daughters.  Coach Clapp is one of my closest coaching friends here in Nashville.  TOP notch class.  

CAK vs. CCS

LOVE LOVE LOVE the girls on CAK second ONLY to my CPA girls.  

CCS gave us a CLEAN hard game for 110 minutes.  I think this will be the deciding factor in the game.  I can't imagine CCS getting enough rest to play a state semi final game after the match they had last night!

Sorry, CCS, but I have to root for the Warriors, though I WON'T be rooting AGAINST CCS.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Greeneville - if they dont have the beat the snot outta ND hangover; they win big; but cant imagine its by that spread yesterday....if they feel yesterday was their championship; they still win......hopin they win it all

CCS - they beat CAK once already this year and beat CAK again; but it want be by 3 this time.....CAK want score 9 points on Cals defense

thats a Pickin Booger

Booger just sayin :mrgreen:

I watched some of the Greeneville Page game.  Page's starting keeper got hit on the first goal (head injury, I believe) and had to come out.

Had to put a field player in the net for the remainder of the game.  

Greeneville just has a HUNGER that is hard to stop.

I saw 90% of the CAK vs. CCS game.  I thought CAK had the run of the game, but again, CCS came out and played a steady game.  They are good across the board.  It could have gone either way.  The goal was scored in the first overtime and then CCS finished it off with some solid defense.

I don't really understand the complaints about short turnaround times on games. Club teams play 2 games in one day all the time, and it is very common for them to play 3 games in 24 hours. A good high school team trains much more than a club team, so what's the big deal? Shouldn't stamina and depth play a part in in a championship run ?

I don't really understand the complaints about short turnaround times on games. Club teams play 2 games in one day all the time, and it is very common for them to play 3 games in 24 hours. A good high school team trains much more than a club team, so what's the big deal? Shouldn't stamina and depth play a part in in a championship run ?

You are correct about club teams often playing tournaments with 2 matches on Saturday and a third on Sunday, all within about 30 hours.  But playing numerous forgettable matches in equally forgettable tournaments is the opposite of what we should be trying to offer our high school players.  This is not a slight on all club events and teams as there are many club team experiences which are amazing and memorable for players, families, and coaches.  There is something special about playing high school ball with friends you see every day and that you have spend anywhere between 4 and 12 years with.  The starting 11 of our boys team in the final last spring had 9 of the 11 which have been at our school since they were five years old.  There's something about having those kind of miles which cannot be replaced.

Part of the experience in going to Chattanooga at the end of the season (as a Nashville team) was getting to miss a little school, a bus ride, overnight in the hotel (hopefully a few nights), and that lovely field at CCS (RIP).  But instead of having multiple matches going on at the same time like a club tournament, there was only one field and one match so whoever was playing was front and center.  We made a point this year that even though the match was only a 35-40 minute bus ride, to make a day of it so our girls could really enjoy the experience and the journey.

No, playing 3 matches in A/AA and AAA within 39 hours is not the end of the world, but so many of the injuries we see are due to over training and not having enough proper rest throughout a season.  Playing 3 high level matches with so much at stake in such a short time certainly cannot be the best thing for these athletes.  Not faulting the TSSAA on this as I'm glad they were actually willing to postpone matches due to field conditions, but in the future I think they should really consider having the girls' tournament on a Tues-Wed-Fri schedule like the boys in the spring so that if weather is an issue, they can move things back a day and still have it finish on Saturday with one day rest between semis and finals.

Edited by yAxis

You are correct about club teams often playing tournaments with 2 matches on Saturday and a third on Sunday, all within about 30 hours.  But playing numerous forgettable matches in equally forgettable tournaments is the opposite of what we should be trying to offer our high school players.  This is not a slight on all club events and teams as there are many club team experiences which are amazing and memorable for players, families, and coaches.  There is something special about playing high school ball with friends you see every day and that you have spend anywhere between 4 and 12 years with.  The starting 11 of our boys team in the final last spring had 9 of the 11 which have been at our school since they were five years old.  There's something about having those kind of miles which cannot be replaced.

Part of the experience in going to Chattanooga at the end of the season (as a Nashville team) was getting to miss a little school, a bus ride, overnight in the hotel (hopefully a few nights), and that lovely field at CCS (RIP).  But instead of having multiple matches going on at the same time like a club tournament, there was only one field and one match so whoever was playing was front and center.  We made a point this year that even though the match was only a 35-40 minute bus ride, to make a day of it so our girls could really enjoy the experience and the journey.

No, playing 3 matches in A/AA and AAA within 39 hours is not the end of the world, but so many of the injuries we see are due to over training and not having enough proper rest throughout a season.  Playing 3 high level matches with so much at stake in such a short time certainly cannot be the best thing for these athletes.  Not faulting the TSSAA on this as I'm glad they were actually willing to postpone matches due to field conditions, but in the future I think they should really consider having the girls' tournament on a Tues-Wed-Fri schedule like the boys in the spring so that if weather is an issue, they can move things back a day and still have it finish on Saturday with one day rest between semis and finals.

I get what you are saying about the "experience" part of going to State.  I am probably in the minority, and a bit of a fuddy duddy, but all I care about are the games themselves.  I read in the paper this morning that the CCS girls drove back to Chattanooga after their Thursday match and actually went to school on Friday before heading back to M'boro.  Sounds a little far fetched to me that they went to school, but if they did, maybe taking their minds off the game for a little while instead of sitting around a hotel all day waiting to play actually helped them.

As far as the scheduling, I think having the championships on Saturday is a good thing since it allows more fans to attend the games.  Maybe they could do Tues, Wed, Sat, and have a nice venue with artificial turf available on Saturday as a back-up for the championships in case of rain.

Edited by saw4ND