The rematch for state: BA vs MBA

steelerfan32

I remember a championship game between Ensworth and Baylor a few years ago. Baylor won by a large margin in the regular season but Ensworth blew them out in the championship. What are the odds that this goes down the same way??

I always thought it was interesting how the Div 2 games could go in different directions. I guess the talent is so good on these teams that different results on any given week is very possible.

That was 2011; Baylor won the first game 42-14 while Ensworth won the rematch in the state final 48-10.

In 2013, BA destroyed Ensworth during the season 36-10 and Ensworth won the rematch in the state semi-final game 21-12.

Last year, Ensworth beat MBA in a high scoring game during the regular season (I think it was 50-48 or something like that in overtime) but the Big Red beat Ensworth in a low scoring contest (10-7) in the state final.

I watched a lot of those games in the past, where rematches occurred in the play-offs, and the team that lost round 1 ended up winning round 2.  This one doesn't have the same feel as those in the past.  Even as good as that 2013 BA team was with Chris Sanders and Derek Barnett, you could see some cracks that night when they hammered Ensworth.  I remember Ensworth just looking flat and exhausted that night, playing in front of a raucous crowd, and thinking that the rematch would be different.  I also remember Ricky playing it really conservative once they got down.  I think he was saving his bullets for the rematch.

There wasn't much of anything in that first match-up between MBA and BA that indicates to me round 2 will be different.  If there is anything at all, it's that the BA receivers made so many amazing catches that night, including a bunch on 3rd down, that maybe some of those fall incomplete this go round.  Or maybe Ty gets loose for some big gainers early on...BA set the tone early by forcing a bunch of MBA 3 and outs.  MBA has to keep the chains moving and the offense on the field to have a chance...

To my eyes that 2013 game at BA was one of the best games I have seen BA play since I have been associated with the school .I also enjoyed the BA St X game at home. This years MBA game is certainly on the list of great performances by BA. Imo the BA - Ensworth game in 2013 was slightly better - even though the score was one sided there were hits in that game that just hurt to watch .

I watched a lot of those games in the past, where rematches occurred in the play-offs, and the team that lost round 1 ended up winning round 2. This one doesn't have the same feel as those in the past. Even as good as that 2013 BA team was with Chris Sanders and Derek Barnett, you could see some cracks that night when they hammered Ensworth. I remember Ensworth just looking flat and exhausted that night, playing in front of a raucous crowd, and thinking that the rematch would be different. I also remember Ricky playing it really conservative once they got down. I think he was saving his bullets for the rematch.

There wasn't much of anything in that first match-up between MBA and BA that indicates to me round 2 will be different. If there is anything at all, it's that the BA receivers made so many amazing catches that night, including a bunch on 3rd down, that maybe some of those fall incomplete this go round. Or maybe Ty gets loose for some big gainers early on...BA set the tone early by forcing a bunch of MBA 3 and outs. MBA has to keep the chains moving and the offense on the field to have a chance...

Edited by baylorbigdog1976

To my eyes that 2013 game at BA was one of the best games I have seen BA play since I have been associated with the school .I also enjoyed the BA St X game at home. This years MBA game is certainly on the list of great performances by BA. Imo the BA - Ensworth game in 2013 was slightly better - even though the score was one sided there were hits in that game that just hurt to watch .

I think the big difference is the QB position...just the balance of run/pass..and the QB runs mixed in that Oastvall brings to the table.  A defense has to respect pretty much everything going up against BA....