The rematch for state: BA vs MBA

steelerfan32

Marty is hands down Coach of the Year. MBA improved drastically throughout the year and he got more out of what he had them anyone else.

It was no question the best job he's done since arriving at MBA...I thought after the BA blow-out in October, there was a chance this team would lose to both Baylor and Ensworth and have a quick exit in Memphis from the play-offs.  But he rallied those guys, won 4 straight against 4 very good teams, and was 1 play away from one of the great MBA wins of all time.

Don't forget about Sullivan, that kid is like a mini Luke Kuechly, he was always around the ball the entire game. Does anyone know if he is being recruited? I know he is only listed at 5'10", 200; but I think he can play at the next level and I don't see him on any recruiting websites. I would love to see him play for my old team at Maryville College!

I'm not sure if he's being recruited or not.  However, I did just read on the AP wires that he has been asked to be a keynote speaker at various football officials association meetings next year across Tennessee to address how not to make a mockery of coin toss rules.

Seriously, it was a great game, and the game and players themselves should be talked about, but that overtime coin toss snafu, all caught on audio, was as laughable as it was pitiful.  I wish someone with YouTube or other video skills could post that on here.  Was it a game changer?  Not in the least; I want to emphasize that, as it did not affect the outcome of the game at all. I realize officiating is not easy, and is a low-paid, thankless job that subjects oneself to a lot of scrutiny that I frankly certainly would not want.  I am fine with judgement calls in high school football - they have to be made in the heat of the moment, there are not as many angles (and none are re-playable) to make a call - and in the end I think they generally even out in any given game for any given program over the lifetime of the program. However, lack of knowledge of rules, especially in a finals game where supposedly the best crews are calling games, is not excusable.  With that said, I do feel sorry for that official. I'm certainly not trying to pile on by wanting to see that video again, but I think others seeing that may even send a message to some coaches who might want to bone up on their knowledge of the rules to help prevent such confusion occurring in their games.

I'm out of here for now (I think); I hope I'm not sucked in again! But again, a great game with a lot of excitement and great sportsmanship shown on the field.  And for anyone who wants to diminish the defenses in that game as a means of downplaying the overall talent of either team, have at it. Ensworth beat MBA 50-44 in the regular season in 2014 and MBA beat Ensworth 10-7 in the 2014 finals.  I'm sure I can find posts somewhere saying there was no defense skill shown shown in the regular season and that there was no offensive ingenuity in the finals.  The hypocrisy on these boards is what has caused the relative crickets over time on the DII boards.

Edited by rollredroll
  • Upvote 1

I'm not sure if he's being recruited or not. However, I did just read on the AP wires that he has been asked to be a keynote speaker at various football officials association meetings next year across Tennessee to address how not to make a mockery of coin toss rules.

Seriously, it was a great game, and the game and players themselves should be talked about, but that overtime coin toss snafu, all caught on audio, was as laughable as it was pitiful. I wish someone with YouTube or other video skills could post that on here. Was it a game changer? Not in the least; I want to emphasize that, as it did not affect the outcome of the game at all. I realize officiating is not easy, and is a low-paid, thankless job that subjects oneself to a lot of scrutiny that I frankly certainly would not want. I am fine with judgement calls in high school football - they have to be made in the heat of the moment, there are not as many angles (and none are re-playable) to make a call - and in the end I think they generally even out in any given game for any given program over the lifetime of the program. However, lack of knowledge of rules, especially in a finals game where supposedly the best crews are calling games, is not excusable. With that said, I do feel sorry for that official. I'm certainly not trying to pile on by wanting to see that video again, but I think others seeing that may even send a message to some coaches who might want to bone up on their knowledge of the rules to help prevent such confusion occurring in their games.

I'm out of here for now (I think); I hope I'm not sucked in again! But again, a great game with a lot of excitement and great sportsmanship shown on the field. And for anyone who wants to diminish the defenses in that game as a means of downplaying the overall talent of either team, have at it. Ensworth beat MBA 50-44 in the regular season in 2014 and MBA beat Ensworth 10-7 in the 2014 finals. I'm sure I can find posts somewhere saying there was no defense skill shown shown in the regular season and that there was no offensive ingenuity in the finals. The hypocrisy on these boards is what has caused the relative crickets over time on the DII boards.

I have noticed that the DII boards are very slow. It's a shame because there is some good football being played.

I'm not sure if he's being recruited or not.  However, I did just read on the AP wires that he has been asked to be a keynote speaker at various football officials association meetings next year across Tennessee to address how not to make a mockery of coin toss rules.

Seriously, it was a great game, and the game and players themselves should be talked about, but that overtime coin toss snafu, all caught on audio, was as laughable as it was pitiful.  I wish someone with YouTube or other video skills could post that on here.  Was it a game changer?  Not in the least; I want to emphasize that, as it did not affect the outcome of the game at all. I realize officiating is not easy, and is a low-paid, thankless job that subjects oneself to a lot of scrutiny that I frankly certainly would not want.  I am fine with judgement calls in high school football - they have to be made in the heat of the moment, there are not as many angles (and none are re-playable) to make a call - and in the end I think they generally even out in any given game for any given program over the lifetime of the program. However, lack of knowledge of rules, especially in a finals game where supposedly the best crews are calling games, is not excusable.  With that said, I do feel sorry for that official. I'm certainly not trying to pile on by wanting to see that video again, but I think others seeing that may even send a message to some coaches who might want to bone up on their knowledge of the rules to help prevent such confusion occurring in their games.

I'm out of here for now (I think); I hope I'm not sucked in again! But again, a great game with a lot of excitement and great sportsmanship shown on the field.  And for anyone who wants to diminish the defenses in that game as a means of downplaying the overall talent of either team, have at it. Ensworth beat MBA 50-44 in the regular season in 2014 and MBA beat Ensworth 10-7 in the 2014 finals.  I'm sure I can find posts somewhere saying there was no defense skill shown shown in the regular season and that there was no offensive ingenuity in the finals.  The hypocrisy on these boards is what has caused the relative crickets over time on the DII boards.

The biggest snafu was giving MBA that first down when they were over a yard short. That stopped the clock for about 10 seconds and gave them at least a chance to win in regulation.

OMG, greatest game ever???? If your a fan of either team maybe. In all my years of broadcasting ive never seen a championship game with absolutely NO DEFENSE!!! I thought I was watching an arena league game. I almost got whiplash from all the up and down the field. Neither team could make the BIG STOP on defense.

OMG, greatest game ever???? If your a fan of either team maybe. In all my years of broadcasting ive never seen a championship game with absolutely NO DEFENSE!!! I thought I was watching an arena league game. I almost got whiplash from all the up and down the field. Neither team could make the BIG STOP on defense.

That's what I was thinking but it was entertaining.

Marty is hands down Coach of the Year. MBA improved drastically throughout the year and he got more out of what he had them anyone else.

But why burn two timeouts for your defense on BA's 2 point conversion attempt which they converted anyway to tie game in regulation?  Your offense has been moving ball all night long, there is a minute left and you have a good kicker.

It was a great game by both squads.  Obviously Chandler and Oatsvall were impressive.  JO's arm strength with accuracy and the way he made people miss was exciting to watch.  Has improved even more from last time I saw him play early in season.  

Because that was the most important play of the game and BA lined up in a formation that I have never seen them use

Before .....been a long time BA fan . No one knew what they were going to run including many people around me. I'm sure Marty was trying to prepare his team the best he could for what he saw on the field. Stop there game over.

But why burn two timeouts for your defense on BA's 2 point conversion attempt which they converted anyway to tie game in regulation? Your offense has been moving ball all night long, there is a minute left and you have a good kicker.

It was a great game by both squads. Obviously Chandler and Oatsvall were impressive. JO's arm strength with accuracy and the way he made people miss was exciting to watch. Has improved even more from last time I saw him play early in season.

Edited by baylorbigdog1976

To each his own.  Get 10 people in a room and you will likely get 10 different answers as to what the greatest game ever is.  “Greatest game ever†is just as subjective as “greatest team everâ€.  Whether a defensive stalemate or offensive shootout makes a better game is equally as subjective.

In another thread, you mentioned you have been broadcasting for over 30 years, so I’m sure you have some sense of the trend in high school scoring during that time, at least in Tennessee, and likely in many places across the country.

Here are the average combined score totals for Tennessee high school football championship games, by decade, in the past 30+ years you have been broadcasting:

1980-1989: 30.4

1990-1999: 39.2

2000-2009: 43.7

2010-2014: 52.2

That’s a 3+ TD difference (or 72% difference) in average combined scores of championship games over your decades of broadcasting.   And while this decade is not complete, I think we all have a good idea that the trend of higher scoring will continue.  Offenses in general are more sophisticated and outpacing defensive schemes, plain and simple.

The only Tennessee championship game I have ever heard referred to as “greatest championship game ever†is Bradley Central’s 3OT win over JCM 50-48 in 1976 – 98 total points.  Again, whether or not that is the greatest championship game ever is subjective. Maybe Overton’s 3-0 victory over Rhea County in 1981 – the total of three points scored is tied for the lowest in TSSAA championship football history – is the greatest championship game ever.  Or perhaps Hillsboro’s 10-7 victory (17 total points scored) over Maryville in 2008, breaking MHS’s 74-game winning streak, is the greatest championship game ever. Pick any game.

I don’t know what the greatest championship game ever is, but the implication that this BA-MBA one should not be considered because the offenses ruled is pretty short-sighted in my opinion.  But, with 30+ years of broadcasting experience, you’re probably at an age where you are “old school†and miss defensive-minded teams and games.  There’s nothing wrong with that – I played in that 1980s era, and in my senior season, it took our opponents 40 quarters (10 regular season games) to score a total of 21 points.  We were proud of our defense – 7 shutouts and 3 opponents scoring 7 points each in the other three games – but in the end, it was always about the “Wâ€.  And, I’d say when it comes to wins and losses, teams then and now will take the “W†every time, regardless if it’s 3-0 or 56-55.

Edited by rollredroll

I have noticed that the DII boards are very slow. It's a shame because there is some good football being played.

For most of us, it just ceased to be enjoyable. I'm perfectly content to argue football with anybody, but typically every thread ends up as a debate on recruiting, financial aid, and our overall inferiority. 

Because that was the most important play of the game and BA lined up in a formation that I have never seen them use

Before .....been a long time BA fan . No one knew what they were going to run including many people around me. I'm sure Marty was trying to prepare his team the best he could for what he saw on the field. Stop there game over.

I understand the thinking and more of a question then a criticism.  In that game, I would rather give my offense the best chance to win as opposed to my defense since it was offense ruling the day.  That last minute in regulation would have looked different if MBA had two timeouts because they were moving the ball.

Serves as another reminder how fine a line between winning and losing.  Hats off to both teams, coaches and players.  

Great post thanks for taking the time to write this. People need to just look back at the Maryville - Siegel game in 2012 I believe score was in the mid 40's and both teams were back and forth. Many long time fans in 6a called that the best game they have seen - can't recall the criticism of the defenses.

I'll make one other point would people rather see an 8-7 Brentwood academy win last night where the defenses played lights out or the shootout which we witnessed in this game? It was two of the best offenses in the southeast going at it last night ---For someone who has watched a lot of football it was one of the most exciting contest I have witnessed and produced a lot of emotions on both sides of the stadium . For anyone who was there it was a treat that is rare . Blowout games and defensive low scoring contest just do not produce the same level of emotions -- I am sorry

One additional point if the score had finished 8-7 BA I am sure we would be seeing the same people on here posting about how bad the offenses looked last night and how xyz team would shut out both teams and score a million points to win the game

To each his own. Get 10 people in a room and you will likely get 10 different answers as to what the greatest game ever is. “Greatest game ever†is just as subjective as “greatest team everâ€. Whether a defensive stalemate or offensive shootout makes a better game is equally as subjective.

In another thread, you mentioned you have been broadcasting for over 30 years, so I’m sure you have some sense of the trend in high school scoring during that time, at least in Tennessee, and likely in many places across the country.

Here are the average combined score totals for Tennessee high school football championship games, by decade, in the past 30+ years you have been broadcasting:

1980-1989: 30.4

1990-1999: 39.2

2000-2009: 43.7

2010-2014: 52.2

That’s a 3+ TD difference (or 72% difference) in average combined scores of championship games over your decades of broadcasting. And while this decade is not complete, I think we all have a good idea that the trend of higher scoring will continue. Offenses in general are more sophisticated and outpacing defensive schemes, plain and simple.

The only Tennessee championship game I have ever heard referred to as “greatest championship game ever†is Bradley Central’s 3OT win over JCM 50-48 in 1976 – 98 total points. Again, whether or not that is the greatest championship game ever is subjective. Maybe Overton’s 3-0 victory over Rhea County in 1981 – the total of three points scored is tied for the lowest in TSSAA championship football history – is the greatest championship game ever. Or perhaps Hillsboro’s 10-7 victory (17 total points scored) over Maryville in 2008, breaking MHS’s 74-game winning streak, is the greatest championship game ever. Pick any game.

I don’t know what the greatest championship game ever is, but the implication that this BA-MBA one should not be considered because the offenses ruled is pretty short-sighted in my opinion. But, with 30+ years of broadcasting experience, you’re probably at an age where you are “old school†and miss defensive-minded teams and games. There’s nothing wrong with that – I played in that 1980s era, and in my senior season, it took our opponents 40 quarters (10 regular season games) to score a total of 21 points. We were proud of our defense – 7 shutouts and 3 opponents scoring 7 points each in the other three games – but in the end, it was always about the “Wâ€. And, I’d say when it comes to wins and losses, teams then and now will take the “W†every time, regardless if it’s 3-0 or 56-55.

Edited by baylorbigdog1976