Does your basketball coach allow players to play football?

Expectus

Allow? That should never be any coach's decision. If it is, then that coach shouldn't be "allowed" to coach. I would have laughed at any coach that tried to dictate what I played or didn't play. That's comical. 

Agreed!

You must have been a stud or pre 2000 graduate. Today if you are 3A or higher good luck being a multisport athlete. Very few kids do it now.

3A or higher may have enough studs to only play one sport...Most 2A's do not

it should be left up to the kid and parents. i would say though that if you are a stud basketball player and just an ok football player than you would be stupid to play football because of taking a chance on getting hurt. however if you are a pretty good football player and just a bench warmer on the basketball side than i say play both if ya want. but if you are a stud in both than play both. i would play the one that i thought i had the best chance to play college at.

Edited by 90warrior

it should be left up to the kid and parents. i would say though that if you are a stud basketball player and just an ok football player than you would be stupid to play football because of taking a chance on getting hurt. however if you are a pretty good football player and just a bench warmer on the basketball side than i say play both if ya want. but if you are a stud in both than play both. i would play the one that i thought i had the best chance to play college at.

This reminds me of Tee Higgins situation. Getting recruited by D1 schools in both basketball and football (albeit moreso in football), but nonetheless, very good in both sports. Makes you wonder how good he would be at basketball if it was his primary sport, although I'm glad it isn't haha. What to do? If I was him I would go the basketball route in college. Just far less injury factor, but that's just me.

This reminds me of Tee Higgins situation. Getting recruited by D1 schools in both basketball and football (albeit moreso in football), but nonetheless, very good in both sports. Makes you wonder how good he would be at basketball if it was his primary sport, although I'm glad it isn't haha. What to do? If I was him I would go the basketball route in college. Just far less injury factor, but that's just me.

But he's a kid that might have a chance to play on Sunday and I don't see that in his basketball future.

I think the operative word in this thread is "kid" kids should be allowed to be kids. play as many sports as you want, because one day you wont be a kid any more and you wont have time to play sports because you will have adult obligations such as going to work and taking care of a family. I know there are special cases where some kids have a future to play in college and eve professionally but that is a small minority. Any coach who has the nerve to force a kid's hand shouldn't be coaching at the high school level

Ravenwood is a 6A school of 2000+ kids but there are multi sport atheletes everywhere. It's not just a 2A thing. Half of the varsity basketball team plays football. The past two years it has caused problems because it's like the first day of bball practice all over because 7 players joined the team six weeks late. But it's well worth it and we would do it every year for a state championship ring. The football guys bring a unique swagger to the hardwood (dunks, charges taken, etc). They love the weightroom. These kids lay their heart on the line for both teams. Many tried to talk the bball coach into letting them go to 5am offseason fb workouts during bball season. It's not just fb-bball either. Chris Rowland is a tri-sport athelete (fb, wrestling, track) and he will be a individual state title contender in both. Ravenwood is a special place. We won a football state championship. Now, let's take care of business tomorrow night: beating Brentwood in front of 2,000 fans. ðŸ†ðŸ˜ˆðŸ´ðŸ€

If Lebron James would have stuck with football for his last two years of high school, would he be any less of a basketball player? The answer is no! If you are an elite, D1 athlete, then you will be one regardless of whether you play one, two or ten sports. I've never understood this "he/she would be better if they would just stick to one sport" mentality. It's nonsense and foolish. 

I'm just kidding.....but the title of this topic should actually be....."Does your Football Coach allow players to play basketball?"  From what I can tell football is King in this State.....!  Now my personal opinion is that every kid has the right to play in any sports he so chooses....the risk in playing is solely attributed to the athlete.  Do coaches insinuated lack of PT or fewer opportunities in a given sport?   Absolutely.....!  It may not be accurate (depends on how good the athlete is) because cream always rises to the top....and players do too...!  If your well rounded in many areas....have at it boys....! 

Kazzy