Does your basketball coach allow players to play football?

Expectus

just curious, did you start the other thread expecting bearden to be mentioned so you could complain about the coach? I think what was actually said was they can't play varsity... Only JV. In any event, no a coach should not limit his players. However, for the sake of discussion, let's say it's a large school with plenty of players. Coach knows he needs everyone clicking on same page to be in the mix. I can see how players missing a few weeks and then jumping in would impact team chemistry and play. Or how losing a kid to a football injury you were counting on could really throw a wrench in things. Coach might see it as best to not have to worry about football players, chemistry, injuries, etc.

Doesn't seem bother Maryville and Fulton. The only two teams in the last 10 years to win football and basketball championships. Edited by QSouth89

They tried it in Campbell county. It set both programs back five years. You have enough athletes at Bearden to do it, Campbell county doesn't.

As for Blevins? As far as I'm concerned, he can do what he wants. He's earned it. He's the winningest AAA coach in the state. If he can win 28 games without football kids like he did last year? Who's gonna fire him?

I thought Buck Van Huss and Dickie Warren were two of the winningest coaches in AAA. You must mean winning coach that is currently active. Van Huss had a 1,021-313 record in 37 years of coaching. Warren, had a combined 922 career wins at Sullivan High School and Sullivan Central, Edited by QSouth89

Actually I was so shocked to hear that a coach in my own county would do this to students, that I had to make it a separate post. I wanted to get others thoughts on it and figure out how this stuff goes on at such a "well respected" high school such as Bearden.

It's a "large school with plenty of players"? No son, you can't take Chemistry. This is such a large school and we have so many other science courses available. You have to pick one of them. If you do , however, take my class I will have to flunk you...

poor argument if you ask me.

As I said, I don't think it should be that way....  But that I can understand  that a coach would want to be at 100% from start to finish and know who he could expect to have to work with. I'm guessing any coach would wish it was that way.... all players at the same starting block at the same time. Most just have to operate knowing football players are coming.. apparently, it is not the case at the school being complained about, where the coach feels the school has enough non-football players that his team will be better without disrupting the team part way through.

Edited by CAH09

They tried it in Campbell county. It set both programs back five years. You have enough athletes at Bearden to do it, Campbell county doesn't.

As for Blevins? As far as I'm concerned, he can do what he wants. He's earned it. He's the winningest AAA coach in the state. If he can win 28 games without football kids like he did last year? Who's gonna fire him?

He can do whatever he wants because he wins? I hope you aren't serious. This is High School basketball not the NBA. These kids don't get paid to play. They are 15-18 years old. They have no idea what sport they like the most until they play. This coach thinks he should be able to dictate who gets to play basketball and football. I'm glad our coach doesn't see it that way. Our coach puts the kids first not his winning percentage. I was talking to an ex UT football player about it and he laughed. His direct quote was "do you know how many players on my team played football and basketball in high school? A lot". What a shame for the boys. Having the opportunity to play Football and basketball is such a great gift and to have one man dictate whether you get to use those gifts is bull. Shame on the AD and administration. POOR LEADERSHIP if you ask me.

Ty Greene played baseball and basketball at Bearden and just finished up being a D-1 basketball player at USC Upstate. MVP of his league. Great career! Blevins has put a lot of D-1 basketball players out there from Bearden. Probably as many in the past 15 years as any coach in Tn this side of a handful in Memohis.

He can do whatever he wants because he wins? I hope you aren't serious. This is High School basketball not the NBA. These kids don't get paid to play. They are 15-18 years old. They have no idea what sport they like the most until they play. This coach thinks he should be able to dictate who gets to play basketball and football. I'm glad our coach doesn't see it that way. Our coach puts the kids first not his winning percentage. I was talking to an ex UT football player about it and he laughed. His direct quote was "do you know how many players on my team played football and basketball in high school? A lot". What a shame for the boys. Having the opportunity to play Football and basketball is such a great gift and to have one man dictate whether you get to use those gifts is bull. Shame on the AD and administration. POOR LEADERSHIP if you ask me.

Coach Blevins is the coach and coaches should have the right to pick the players on their teams by whatever criteria they choose. Pretty simple if you ask me. If the administration doesn't like the way he picks his teams, then they should find a new coach.

Edited by Norman Dale

Coach Blevins is the coach and coaches should have the right to pick the players on their teams by whatever criteria they choose. Pretty simple if you ask me. If the administration doesn't like the way he picks his teams, then they should find a new coach.

He has NO RIGHT WHAT SO EVER to dictate whether anyone can play or not play a sport. You are right however, that the administration should do away with his coaching privileges due to him wronging the student athletes at his school.