Does your basketball coach allow players to play football?

Expectus

He also had a baseball player that played PG. He refused to start him so he couldn't have his name announced as the starter but sent him to the scorers table as soon as they threw up the jump ball.....

I'm afraid that this isn't the only negative instance surrounding this person. I think there are a whole lot of things like this that haven't been told. It a shame that the administration has allowed this to go on so long.

FHS parents count your blessings that this doesn't go on at our school.

He has NO RIGHT WHAT SO EVER to dictate whether anyone can play or not play a sport. You are right however, that the administration should do away with his coaching privileges due to him wronging the student athletes at his school.

Just for the record, I absolutely don't think Bearden should relieve Coach Blevins of his coaching duties over this issue.

He can do whatever he wants because he wins? I hope you aren't serious. This is High School basketball not the NBA. These kids don't get paid to play. They are 15-18 years old. They have no idea what sport they like the most until they play. This coach thinks he should be able to dictate who gets to play basketball and football. I'm glad our coach doesn't see it that way. Our coach puts the kids first not his winning percentage. I was talking to an ex UT football player about it and he laughed. His direct quote was "do you know how many players on my team played football and basketball in high school? A lot". What a shame for the boys. Having the opportunity to play Football and basketball is such a great gift and to have one man dictate whether you get to use those gifts is bull. Shame on the AD and administration. POOR LEADERSHIP if you ask me.

Ok expectus, you must really be pissed at Blevins since this is your second try on this subject. I'll address the above things first.

Get real, when I say whatever he wants? Of course I mean in picking his team. I know there not NBA players. Also, usually by the time a kid is 15 he usually knows what sport is his sport, and so do the coaches. As for the UT FOOTBALL PLAYER laughing? Maybe they should recruit more FOOTBALL players over there, they might win some meaningful games!! Lol.

Now, I think most on here have agreed it's not kosher, but most of us, except you, agree it's coaches discretion. Parents like you, are what's wrong with high school sports right now. He's been the coach there for as long as I can remember. You knew this when you started little Bobby there. Ive been to quite a few games of his. From what I see, his teams are some of the most prepared, fundamentally sound, coachable, respectful kids in the entire area! Why does he need to go? It'd be best for you to change schools than them get rid of a GREAT coach. A lot of his kids go to college and don't play ball. But there better off by being around a teacher like him. I hate to spit it out like this but u are seriously in the minority on this one. Bearden would make the blunder of a lifetime by getting find of a coach like this. He'd be out of a Job like 5 minutes!! Oh and guess what he's going to do at his next school? Yep, no football.

He coached in college I think, before he took the Bearden job. Just get over it!!!

Expectus...The reverse was true when Coach Pharr was at Farragut. No baseball players were allowed to play basketball. I think given the success of both programs, they have been given  a certain latitude that might not apply to other coaches. Not saying it is right or wrong but at a school that size you can get away with that attitude especially if you have kids transferring/coming into the program specifically for the one sport.

Ok expectus, you must really be pissed at Blevins since this is your second try on this subject. I'll address the above things first.

Get real, when I say whatever he wants? Of course I mean in picking his team. I know there not NBA players. Also, usually by the time a kid is 15 he usually knows what sport is his sport, and so do the coaches. As for the UT FOOTBALL PLAYER laughing? Maybe they should recruit more FOOTBALL players over there, they might win some meaningful games!! Lol.

Now, I think most on here have agreed it's not kosher, but most of us, except you, agree it's coaches discretion. Parents like you, are what's wrong with high school sports right now. He's been the coach there for as long as I can remember. You knew this when you started little Bobby there. Ive been to quite a few games of his. From what I see, his teams are some of the most prepared, fundamentally sound, coachable, respectful kids in the entire area! Why does he need to go? It'd be best for you to change schools than them get rid of a GREAT coach. A lot of his kids go to college and don't play ball. But there better off by being around a teacher like him. I hate to spit it out like this but u are seriously in the minority on this one. Bearden would make the blunder of a lifetime by getting find of a coach like this. He'd be out of a Job like 5 minutes!! Oh and guess what he's going to do at his next school? Yep, no football.

He coached in college I think, before he took the Bearden job. Just get over it!!!

As a retired AD of a successful athletic program I totally disagree. A student athlete should have the freedom to play any sport in which he excels. To punish a kid for playing another sport besides the one you coach is totally wrong. We are in the business of helping kids be successful in all aspects of life. When I interviewed  coaches one of the main questions I asked was “Would you allow your players to play multiple sports?†If he said no,  he was no longer a candidate. Coaching is about te players. If a player does not make your team because of talent, I understand. To not make your team or be punished because he plays multiple sports is is a terrible way to treat a child. I do not care if it is Morgan Wooten or anybody.

Edited by Galilee

As a retired AD of a successful athletic program I totally disagree. A student athlete should have the freedom to play any sport in which he excels. To punish a kid for playing another sport besides the one you coach is totally wrong. We are in the business of helping kids be successful in all aspects of life. When I interviewed  coaches one of the main questions I asked was “Would you allow your players to play multiple sports?†If he said no,  he was no longer a candidate. Coaching is about te players. If a player does not make your team because of talent, I understand. To not make your team or be punished because he plays multiple sports is is a terrible way to treat a child. I do not care if it is Morgan Wooten or anybody.

Ok, as I said in my post, most of us don't think it's kosher, but it's the way he does things. Your almost doing the same thing as he is. Your disqualifying aa coach who may be the best candidate for the job because he doesn't want a bunch of part time players.

Sometimes it's not punishment. As an AD you know that you get your basketball players for a limited time in the summer, like 11 days or something, well guess what, football is going on at the same time and 95% of the football coaches expect them at their practices. So is it "FAIR" to not participate in any open gyms, any summer camps, any team functions or fundraisers, then come in and expect to be treated the same as all the guys that did?

The way TENNESSEE has done the playoffs, litterally almost everyone makes the playoffs now. So your having kids miss HOF games because there in football. I wouldn't like it as player, a parent, or as a coach.

Most schools, the principal is the one that hires and fires the coaches, not the AD. sometimes, your firing an excellent teacher, that's going to hurt "THE KIDS" by not getting the best education available. And if test scores drop, guess who loses there job? The principals.

With all this said, it's not for every school, but it works in this case. I'm just kinda playing devils advocate on this issue, because expectus is handling it the wrong way. There's channels to go thru, and none of us know if he followed them or what kind of athlete his kid really is. And of course Blevins isn't going to get on here and defend himself, because quite frankly, he doesn't have to.

Ok, as I said in my post, most of us don't think it's kosher, but it's the way he does things. Your almost doing the same thing as he is. Your disqualifying aa coach who may be the best candidate for the job because he doesn't want a bunch of part time players.

Sometimes it's not punishment. As an AD you know that you get your basketball players for a limited time in the summer, like 11 days or something, well guess what, football is going on at the same time and 95% of the football coaches expect them at their practices. So is it "FAIR" to not participate in any open gyms, any summer camps, any team functions or fundraisers, then come in and expect to be treated the same as all the guys that did?

The way TENNESSEE has done the playoffs, litterally almost everyone makes the playoffs now. So your having kids miss HOF games because there in football. I wouldn't like it as player, a parent, or as a coach.

Most schools, the principal is the one that hires and fires the coaches, not the AD. sometimes, your firing an excellent teacher, that's going to hurt "THE KIDS" by not getting the best education available. And if test scores drop, guess who loses there job? The principals.

With all this said, it's not for every school, but it works in this case. I'm just kinda playing devils advocate on this issue, because expectus is handling it the wrong way. There's channels to go thru, and none of us know if he followed them or what kind of athlete his kid really is. And of course Blevins isn't going to get on here and defend himself, because quite frankly, he doesn't have to.

I stated that I the player is talented enough to play he should be allowed to play. You are correct the principal does hire the coach but at my school I had a lot of input. I did all the research and vetting. At small schools we have to share athletes. When you put your selfish ego before the kids, ten you are in the wrong profession.

Carolina Crazy. First off I shouldn't have to defend myself but I will respond to you calling me out. I do not have a kid at Bearden. If I did he or she would not be playing for a coach such as the coach in question. There are things that go on in life that are just bad. No matter if they happen to your kid or not. When you hear about these things then you should speak out. Just because it doesn't happen to mine doesn't make it any more right. If It would be wrong for my kid then its wrong for others. That why I brought it up. Just to see how others thought about it.  That's who I am.  

Carolina Crazy. First off I shouldn't have to defend myself but I will respond to you calling me out. I do not have a kid at Bearden. If I did he or she would not be playing for a coach such as the coach in question. There are things that go on in life that are just bad. No matter if they happen to your kid or not. When you hear about these things then you should speak out. Just because it doesn't happen to mine doesn't make it any more right. If It would be wrong for my kid then its wrong for others. That why I brought it up. Just to see how others thought about it. That's who I am.

Ok, I didn't call you out. I'm just so sick of these parents that think everything a coach does is wrong. You just don't get it do you? Bearden has known this is going on for years, but yet they still condone it, why? Because HE is the coach! HE knows the pieces to the puzzle he is trying to put together and the administration lets HIM coach, not the parents.

I have said it before, it's not cool, or the way I'd do it necessarily, but I'm not the coach, HE is. For you to bring him up, not once but twice, tells me you have a personal vendetta against this man.

If you feel that your the advocate for this situation, and it's your cross to bare, then go to the school, talk to him along with the principal and AD. Get their perspective and thought. He's a pretty cool guy to talk to, he may convince you, his way is the best way, who knows? Then if you don't get the satisfaction your looking for follow all the next logical steps. But unfortunately I think you'll find the same answer at every stop, HE's the coach!!

I just went and looked, he's won 136 games the last 5 seasons. Over 27 wins per season!!! I'd bet that close to the best in the state over the same time period. They'd be crazy to even talk to him about this.

Edited by CarolinaCrazy