Does your basketball coach allow players to play football?

Expectus

Carolina. This isn't about wins and loses. You don't get it. This is High School. Where kids have the "freedom" to take the courses they want and the freedom to try out for the sport that they would like to play. I could care less what the man's record is. There is no vendetta here. I just asked the question. found out that the Bearden coach tells the students there that they can't play basketball if they play football and I "personally" think it's wrong. I could care less if he's a good guy or bad guy. I just think we as adults should do what's right for our students. I'm sure if the Bearden parents had their way they would want him to stay but allow football players to play basketball. That's all...Just do the right thing. I don't need to call the AD or Principle. Heck I don't know them and don't really care. I just asked the question on a "message" board in order to talk about it. I thought that's what this forum was for? We'll see what happens. Maybe he will change his mind next year.

Carolina. This isn't about wins and loses. You don't get it. This is High School. Where kids have the "freedom" to take the courses they want and the freedom to try out for the sport that they would like to play. I could care less what the man's record is. There is no vendetta here. I just asked the question. found out that the Bearden coach tells the students there that they can't play basketball if they play football and I "personally" think it's wrong. I could care less if he's a good guy or bad guy. I just think we as adults should do what's right for our students. I'm sure if the Bearden parents had their way they would want him to stay but allow football players to play basketball. That's all...Just do the right thing. I don't need to call the AD or Principle. Heck I don't know them and don't really care. I just asked the question on a "message" board in order to talk about it. I thought that's what this forum was for? We'll see what happens. Maybe he will change his mind next year.

My son played for Bearden Middle and was the County MVP his 8th grade year.  He also played football.  He plays both in high school (he chose not to attend Bearden), and I see the benefits of playing multiple sports.  I think it prevents getting burned out from just focusing on one. However, if that's how Blevins runs his team, then it's not for others to judge.  I do know a few years ago a couple of football players did play basketball.  I coached them in AAU.  But one has to wonder, if he was just a .500 level coach would this philosophy stand pat?

Edited by QSouth89

I've seen more oftent hat football coaches don't want their players playingother sports.  "They need to be in the gym in the off-season working out."  But more often than not, players will return to the football field after a season of basketball with better footwork, agility, and overall cardiovascular endurance.

• Upvote 1

No, I do get it. Read Q's post. He is one of the best people on coachT. His kid knew how it was going to be at Bearden. They chose to go elsewhere, and it's turned out good for them. As for him "telling kids" they can't play football? I sorry, u said u heard that. Well I don't know either way, but I know for a fact that football kids do try out for the team. Weather he thinks their better than what he's got? I don't know. You say u don't know them and don't really care? Then why thread? A lot of people have weighed in on this most don't like it either but it's his team. I assure you, he will not change next year, or the year after.......

Here's what I'm going to do. I kinda know coach Blevins. Not close enough to have cell numbers, but see him at ball games a lot. Enough that he comes over to talk to me and say hi. I'm going to see him over the xmas break, and I'm going to ask him what his logic is behind the football thing. If any of you know him and Q does, he'll tell me. I'll report back with his thoughts on it and see if it makes any sense. Is that cool?

No, I do get it. Read Q's post. He is one of the best people on coachT. His kid knew how it was going to be at Bearden. They chose to go elsewhere, and it's turned out good for them. As for him "telling kids" they can't play football? I sorry, u said u heard that. Well I don't know either way, but I know for a fact that football kids do try out for the team. Weather he thinks their better than what he's got? I don't know. You say u don't know them and don't really care? Then why thread? A lot of people have weighed in on this most don't like it either but it's his team. I assure you, he will not change next year, or the year after.......

Here's what I'm going to do. I kinda know coach Blevins. Not close enough to have cell numbers, but see him at ball games a lot. Enough that he comes over to talk to me and say hi. I'm going to see him over the xmas break, and I'm going to ask him what his logic is behind the football thing. If any of you know him and Q does, he'll tell me. I'll report back with his thoughts on it and see if it makes any sense. Is that cool?

Carolina. I have read all the post on here. I understand why a coach would only want his players training for one sport. We all know the answer to that. The question that would be cool to ask Mr Blevins is this. Why do you think you have the right to mandate your potential players only play one sport when this is high school.

Like I said. everyone on this board understands the obvious, and that is as a coach you would love for your players to only work on basketball 24/7/360. Again I go back to, this is high school not college or professional. We should allow our young adults to experience as many sports as they can because if they play at the next level they will only do one. If I were a coach I would love to dictate that my players only play the sport I coach, however, I would NEVER impose that kind of statement on any teenager. I understand that it isn't morally correct to do that. I am however, able to cut the player that I don't want. 

If you could ask him the other question and get back to us with his answer that would be great. Carolina, I do understand your opinion and your devils advocate opinion too. I see what you are saying. I hope you understand where I am coming from. Just not right to limit a young adults potential IMHO…Love the debate though. That's what this board is for!!!!

I wouldn't send my sons to a school that limited sports. Thus we have stayed true to Greenback. They can play football, basketball and baseball every year! A lot of support throughout Admin and coaching staff. Our kids are only kids once and if they enjoy and excel in multiple sports have at it. I read an interesting article quoting college coaches in support of multi sport athletes. Those kids are standing out over the single sport players for that very reason. For my sons each sport compliments the other in the skills gained.

I wouldn't send my sons to a school that limited sports. Thus we have stayed true to Greenback. They can play football, basketball and baseball every year! A lot of support throughout Admin and coaching staff. Our kids are only kids once and if they enjoy and excel in multiple sports have at it. I read an interesting article quoting college coaches in support of multi sport athletes. Those kids are standing out over the single sport players for that very reason. For my sons each sport compliments the other in the skills gained.

I AGREE 100%....No Coach has the right to discriminate against any other sport...PERIOD

I AGREE 100%....No Coach has the right to discriminate against any other sport...PERIOD

I don't think it's discrimination.  Coach Blevins coached in college.  Not many athletes can play both at that level, (a very select few can) so he's coaching the style and philosophy that he knows.  Most of the kids who choose to attend Bearden to play basketball, pretty much are just basketball players only anyway.  I'm quite sure the kids and parents know what they are getting into when they decide to play basketball for the Bulldogs. 

I don't think it's discrimination.  Coach Blevins coached in college.  Not many athletes can play both at that level, (a very select few can) so he's coaching the style and philosophy that he knows.  Most of the kids who choose to attend Bearden to play basketball, pretty much are just basketball players only anyway.  I'm quite sure the kids and parents know what they are getting into when they decide to play basketball for the Bulldogs.

If it isn't discrimination against kids playing other sports then what is it??.Coaching at the college level has absolutely nothing to do with it. He may be a good Coach, I really don't know nor do I care, but IMHO No Coach should hold a grudge/discriminate against a kid because he or she wants to play multiple sports, I mean seriously who is the child here. If the kid is good enough then it should NOT matter. Sounds childish to me. Sure he is a Great Guy but sounds like someone needs a reality check as to the job description of an Educator

If the man coached in college it has everything to do it with because in college coaches are not used to sharing athletes.  I didn't say it was right either.  It's his way and since he's successful he gets away with it.  Like I said in earlier post, if he was a .500 level coach would he be allowed to get away it? Probably not.

Edited by QSouth89

If the man coached in college it has everything to do it with because in college coaches are not used to sharing athletes.  I didn't say it was right either.  It's his way and since he's successful he gets away with it.  Like I said in earlier post, if he was a .500 level coach would he be allowed to get away it? Probably not.

He is Coaching High School Sports, NOT COLLEGE. Completely Different Circumstances. Honestly I do Not Care. Just not a Fan of Gastopho Tactics at any Level. Its a GOOD thing to Be a Multi Sport Athlete

He is Coaching High School Sports, NOT COLLEGE. Completely Different Circumstances. Honestly I do Not Care. Just not a Fan of Gastopho Tactics at any Level. Its a GOOD thing to Be a Multi Sport Athlete

Why does it matter if it's college or high school? I mean there's scholarships involved a lot of times but at D2 or lower, a lot of kids basically pay to play. I talked to the Toress kid from Campbell county the other night. He went to Carson Newman on a football scholarship. He was first team AllState in football. He was also the district 3AAA MVP. I asked him if he was playing basketball up there? He said he ask the coach to walk on and the coach said he wasn't interested in any football players. Lol. I mean, this kids good enough to play, MVP of his district and you don't even take a look at him? There's got to be a reason for this philosophy? I mean their like 3-6 and you wouldn't let a kid walk on with that talent? I think Blevins is a pretty good judge of talent. If a stud football player tried out and could help the team, he'd keep him. I know I would. Lol