Wrestling at Dixie Nationals

Twofdr

Got a question.......I have a varsity wrestler with a TSSAA high school and was thinking of going to Atlanta and wrestling him in the tourney. There may be some eligibility concerns. Can anyone, in the know, let me know if there are stipulations against this during the season? I know our has the full allotment of individual tourneys scheduled. Thanks

Thanks a lot. Any reason that TSSAA restricts our kids from super 32 or Walsh ironman,or all star tourneys?

I know Ga kids can wrestle...just can't wear their team school and their coaches can't either. Seems the extra competition would be good for Tn kids.

Edited by Twofdr

You are not restricted from the super32. Tennessee has a multitude of kids wrestle in it every year. You can not however wrestle in the Dixie Nationals because the Tssaa season has already started. You are not permitted to wrestle in individual tournaments during the Tssaa high school season .

Actually you can wrestle in this even if your Eligibility sheet has not been turned in.  Once the Roster is turned in with your name on it, you can not compete in Open Tournaments.  That is the problem with TSSAA.  They want to control everything and this limits kids being able to compete and get National recognition.  It is a great opportunity for schools that only have few wrestlers who really cant fill out full teams and other teams do not want to schedule meets, cause it is a waste of time and money spent for referees.

Any thoughts on why this is the rule....I think as far as Walsh Ironman...each state only has a handful of kids talented enough to really compete in these...why keep those kids away. Chris DeBien immediately comes to mind. Not only could he...he beat them...who knows...getting him out there in the handful of national tourneys that occur during the season may have opened even more doors for him! Truly, I not proosing taking teams to these places...but, we do take teams out of state all the time.

If you wanted to take your team...and count one of theses all star tourneys, or whatever you call them,...as one of your individual tourneys, is that allowed??

TSSAA wrestling teams are eligible to compete in the Ironman, Beast of the East, Cheesehead, etc... if they are invited.  If the Ironman had wanted Chris DeBien he could have attended as the lone participant of Cleveland High School but it would have cost Cleveland a two day tournament date for one wrestler.  IMO, Dixie is not a very tough tournament for high school wrestlers. 

TSSAA wrestling teams are eligible to compete in the Ironman, Beast of the East, Cheesehead, etc... if they are invited.  If the Ironman had wanted Chris DeBien he could have attended as the lone participant of Cleveland High School but it would have cost Cleveland a two day tournament date for one wrestler.  IMO, Dixie is not a very tough tournament for high school wrestlers. 

Agree on Dixie. It was a decent middle school tournament but never much for HS

Agree about Dixie National not being that tough...just a tournament between Christmas and New Years that is close....obviously not the point of my post!

Not really concerned about a specific tourney being difficult or not.

Really curious about the reasoning for the rule?

Not sure why it would a eligibility issue, at all?

Any thoughts on that question?