New Division II Classification Thoughts - 3 Classes

fbcoach400

Simple it is...no chance that it works. Suppose that an "issue" arises like Bowers' ejection, suspension and appeal reversal...do you think an unbiased ruling would happen? If it actually was unbiased, would it be accepted as such? A governing body has to be comprised of members without an agenda. I'm not a "hater" merely poking fun at a veiled threat to abandon TSSAA and form their own association...just a practical observation that there is no chance to avoid division and dissention when each member is not only associated, but employed by a member school...put some real thought into it and try again.

While I agree with most of your points, you can have the privates govern themselves under the umbrella of the TSSAA,appointing a separate board of control from private schools, vote for representatives from privates schools to oversee DII. Allowing the public school representatives to dictate whats going on in DII is absurd.

I have no clue where you are getting your info but it is far different from what I have heard from head masters, coaches and ADs. Theres no movement whatsoever to go down this path by the headmasters. You do know the headmasters in middle TN meet for luncheons and this has never been discussed except for small groups chuckling about "people" suggesting it is an option? Right?

If you want to know the pulse of this topic speak to ANY headmaster at a D2 school. Maybe it happens in a decade or more but even then not all D2 schools would do it.

How many headmasters, coaches and ADs do you talk to aside from the ones where your kids go? Prominent?? really or is this still the only one you actually talk to. Edited by Bucksfan

While I agree with most of your points, you can have the privates govern themselves under the umbrella of the TSSAA,appointing a separate board of control from private schools, vote for representatives from privates schools to oversee DII. Allowing the public school representatives to dictate whats going on in DII is absurd.

That Sir is the most rational thing posted on this subject...and I feel that TSSAA should have taken that course from the beginning ( when the "private" division was created). Separate divisions for private/public schools, each with their own board, and all covered by TSSAA's governing body.

• 2 weeks later...

How many headmasters, coaches and ADs do you talk to aside from the ones where your kids go? Prominent?? really or is this still the only one you actually talk to.

I responded to your question a week ago but I spoke with one of the HM's again this week, during our daughters travel soccer practice, and he confirmed no movement whatsoever with his school, or others that he talks to.

The reason why there are three classes is this is the way you get the CPA's, Lipscomb's, Goodpasture, Knox Catholic, and CAK to be a part of it. They don't want to be in the same class as the big privates football-wise

why not? The publics have been dealing with the recruiting of big privates for 30 years. Maybe it's time they all get a dose of their own medicine.
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has any private school actually made the announcement to move yet? Since the TSSAA ruling at the start of the 2015-2016 school year, are there any private schools that currently compete in Division I that are officially planning to move into Division II by the 2017-2018 school year? I've heard rumors of Chattanooga Christian and Notre Dame. Can anyone confirm any specific schools or perhaps even some rumors? I know they still have plenty of time but I'm just curious. Or are we all just assuming that every private school will definitely leave Division I?

Chatt Christian announced a few months back that they were going, and as of today Boyd Buchanan and Chattanooga Grace are going too. I don't think Notre Dame has made their announcement yet but I don't think it will take too long.

Chatt Christian announced a few months back that they were going, and as of today Boyd Buchanan and Chattanooga Grace are going too. I don't think Notre Dame has made their announcement yet but I don't think it will take too long.

Betting all 20+ of them will go. Financial aid -- if offered by a school -- becomes a pretty important part of the school's fabric. Can't imagine that a school would do away with it just for the sake of staying in a sports classification. Any school that would is more concerned with expediency than actually standing for something.

• 5 weeks later...

Have heard that an option out there for DII is to have a "Super 12" division of the 12 largest private schools, then divide the remaining schools by size.  IF that were true, how would it look? Well, according to TSSAA numbers, it would look something like this if all schools opted to go D2:

AAA (Super 12)

Baylor

Brentwood

Briarcrest

Christian Brothers

Father Ryan

Knox Catholic

Knox Webb

Lipscomb

MBA

McCallie

PJP II