Round table meeting with THSSCA, TSSA and TSSAA.

BigG

10 years ago (maybe even 5 years ago) this meeting would not have happened.  

Coaches and administrators from the TSSAA, THSSCA, and TSSA met together in Nashville for 2.5 hours to discuss working together in the upcoming season to make high school soccer and the premier league something that would work during the same season.

I believe that moving the high school season to the spring is not going to happen, so we wanted to discuss options, plans, provisions, and ideas that would BENEFIT THE PLAYERS who will be participating in BOTH high school AND high level club.

All sides were very cooperative, willing to "give" a lot with practice times, scheduling (the scheduling that we could control... most of the league scheduling is not done by the clubs), resting players when needed, etc..

The biggest thing we got out of the meeting was the need for communication from all sides.  Too long there has been a "stand off" from club to high school and vice versa.  What I saw during the meeting were some club coaches that were very willing to work with us as high school coaches (in the past, this would not have happened).

What people need to realize is that high school sports are going to change.  The independent game rule is probably going away, so we will need to have a cooperative relationship with the clubs in order for the players to not get caught in the middle of a power struggle. 

While everyone will not be on board with how things will be progressing, it is refreshing to see that there were so many high level coaches in one place willing to work together.  

I will keep you all posted on updates.

10 years ago (maybe even 5 years ago) this meeting would not have happened.

Coaches and administrators from the TSSAA, THSSCA, and TSSA met together in Nashville for 2.5 hours to discuss working together in the upcoming season to make high school soccer and the premier league something that would work during the same season.

I believe that moving the high school season to the spring is not going to happen, so we wanted to discuss options, plans, provisions, and ideas that would BENEFIT THE PLAYERS who will be participating in BOTH high school AND high level club.

All sides were very cooperative, willing to "give" a lot with practice times, scheduling (the scheduling that we could control... most of the league scheduling is not done by the clubs), resting players when needed, etc..

The biggest thing we got out of the meeting was the need for communication from all sides. Too long there has been a "stand off" from club to high school and vice versa. What I saw during the meeting were some club coaches that were very willing to work with us as high school coaches (in the past, this would not have happened).

What people need to realize is that high school sports are going to change. The independent game rule is probably going away, so we will need to have a cooperative relationship with the clubs in order for the players to not get caught in the middle of a power struggle.

While everyone will not be on board with how things will be progressing, it is refreshing to see that there were so many high level coaches in one place willing to work together.

I will keep you all posted on updates.

Thank you!

After talking to coach Smith our school is changing its rule in place since the 1980's to help our club players. I assume others are doing the same thing.

Also, dont forget the rematch next season. We hope to have you guys at our little field. Maybe we can be more competitive this time. Take care!

• 3 months later...

G

I am curious, why do you feel the move to Spring for the girls won't happpen? To be honest, I would be pleased if it does not happen. I think it would give less opportunity to young ladies as well as place great hardships on many schools. What do you feel is going to happen my friend?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...