Moore County is looking for a new Head Football Coach.

MCHSBigBlue

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seriously doubt that. He's coming from Murfreesboro where his wife just took a job as an assistant principal in July. Not sure how anyone would think he's coming for the long haul--when considering his personal situation or when taking Moore County's track record with coaches into consideration. Pie in the sky wishes if anyone thinks those folks are going to let him coach without expecting him to listen to the parents, the "legends", and every other "somebody" with the right last name. Small town politics will get him just like the last 8--sooner or later. May take some time for the honeymoon phase to wear off but it happens to the best of them. Poor guy. Another one in this ugly, vicious trap.

That means he will be driving 50 miles each way to coach long hours. Wife won't put up with that for long. Moore County football history is ...Win and you move on or lose and get sent on. 2-3 years at most.

MC1996 I'm certain we've met. Lynchburg isn't that big of a place. Most people know each other, don't they? When you grow up there you know everyone even if you move outside the town lines after you're 18.

TheAmbassador, you're probably right. Dobbs, just like the last 8, can probably do a fine job IF he's given the opportunity. That's the big IF. Historically those conditions just haven't existed in MC.

2016--seems like those outside the county have their finger on the pulse of this situation pretty well. You hit the nail on the head. Win you move on. Lose in your first year or two or refuse to let those in the stands coach and you get your walking papers or else you decide to walk on your own because you realize you'll never really get the chance to build a program as long as others inside the camp are tearing down as fast as you can build.

Sad sad situation. I wish Dobbs and his family the best. I wish the MC Raiders the best. Nobody wants a great group of young men to suffer over the choices of others that they're just the unfortunate benefactors of, again and again.

How many of these coaches were actually ran off though? McCurry(Lewisburg), Price (Strictly back to teach), Montoya (bus garage), McDaniels (Oakland), Matthews (Siegel), Smith (Warren Co.), Austin (offered DC, decided to leave). McCurry had problems with 1 group of parents that thought their babies were all stars. As far as the rest, looks like they just decided to take a raise. Have no clue about behind the scenes activity.

http://www.dnj.com/story/sports/high-school/2016/02/01/riverdales-dobbs-hired-moore-co-football-coach/79627164/MURFREESBORO â€” Riverdale football assistant coach Jason Dobbs has been named the head coach at Moore County, replacing Jeremy Austin who was fired after going 6-5 this season.

"It was a couple of things," said Dobbs, 44. "I decided I wasn't getting any younger, so if I wanted to be a head coach, I needed to be one. And to got to a place like Moore County â€” I like small-town football that has community support.

"Traditionally, they've been pretty good. I just think it's the best opportunity for me at this time."

This marks Dobbs' first high school head coaching position. He has been Riverdale's offensive line coach since 2010. He was an assistant at Trousdale County for 13 seasons before his move to Riverdale.

Moore County competes in Region 4-1A.

Dobbs said it was a difficult decision to leave Riverdale.

"I hate leaving the kids here at Riverdale," he said. "It's been a tough decision.

"It's always a tough decision when you've been around these kids as long as I have, but I feel like it was time to go."

Notable Coach’s that got there head Coaching start at Moore County and were they went to when they left.  Shirley Majors ( Huntland    108–24–2),  Joe Nunley (Warren County),  Billy Joe Evans (Lincoln County),  Harold “Red†Roberts ( Franklin County),  Mac McCurry (Marshall County),  Thomas McDaniels (Oakland),  Steve  Matthews (Siegel)  

In a 1986 MTSU television interview with Joe Nunley, former director of Alumni Relations at MTSU, former member of the education department, successful high school coach, member of the Warren County and MTSU Blue Raider sports hall of fames and author.  Nunley begins to speak of his experience as a football coach. He explains how he was offered the coaching position at Lynchburg, and eventually took it. Nunley states “if I can coach at Lynchburg, I can coach anywhere.†Lynchburg was known for having a difficult team, and Nunley speaks of this also, along with the outstanding seasons they had while Nunley coached. Nunley’s  1952 Raider team was 10-0-1 The tie came in a bowl game against Coffee County. Nunley’s 1952 Raiders snapped Huntland’s 24 straight game win streak, which was the longest of any team in the State. They also shut down the States leading scorer. Which was Huntland’s senior Johnny Majors. The game drew so much interest it was played at Shelbyville’s field before a crowd that was estimated at 3500.

How many of these coaches were actually ran off though? McCurry(Lewisburg), Price (Strictly back to teach), Montoya (bus garage), McDaniels (Oakland), Matthews (Siegel), Smith (Warren Co.), Austin (offered DC, decided to leave). McCurry had problems with 1 group of parents that thought their babies were all stars. As far as the rest, looks like they just decided to take a raise. Have no clue about behind the scenes activity.

Ok. Austin had problems with one group of parents that thought their son should be starting quarterback and look where that got him. I can't blame Austin for leaving because now he doesn't have to put up with those parents.