Freshman / Sophomore National Team

salterjd

No response typically means that someone is guilty of something wrong.

I strongly disagree. 

The East/West Dual held on March 6 at Wilson Central High School served as the wrestle-off for the team. If you read back through the thread starting w/ the very beginning, the selection process was clearly defined. I helped head up the East teams organization and that was coached by Lee Varnell onsite. Coach John Kramer was the head of the West team. Winners of the individual matches made the team. Nothing shady about the process at all.

Ben Smith

Bradley Wrestling

I strongly disagree. 

The East/West Dual held on March 6 at Wilson Central High School served as the wrestle-off for the team. If you read back through the thread starting w/ the very beginning, the selection process was clearly defined. I helped head up the East teams organization and that was coached by Lee Varnell onsite. Coach John Kramer was the head of the West team. Winners of the individual matches made the team. Nothing shady about the process at all.

Ben Smith

Bradley Wrestling

1.  Were the wrestlers required to make weight for the challenge matches? 

2.  Were certified officials used for the challenge matches?

Just asking as I have been provided with some information that may or may not be correct.

I strongly disagree. 

Ben Smith

Bradley Wrestling

Coach, my question was directed to:  if you had 2 wrestlers in the same weight class for your team and you had a wrestle-off to determine who would represent the East team or the West team, would the wrestlers in the wrestle-off have to make a certain weight or could they weigh whatever and only have to make it at the Dual match.

This is what I am alluding to.  I am inquiring to the wrestle-offs prior to the East/West Dual match.

Thanks in advance.

Got ya! Understood. I cannot speak for the West team, but the East did not have any wrestle-off's for a spot in the lineup. Had there been a need for any wrestle-offs for the East, I would have allowed them the +5 that would be allotted them for the East/West dual. As far as certified officials, IF the wrestle-off/s were to take place at either BCHS or LFMS, we have used one our middle school coaches who are also TSSAA, AAU, and USAW officials. But, as I mentioned, thankfully we didn't have this situation arise on our side. 

Got ya! Understood. I cannot speak for the West team, but the East did not have any wrestle-off's for a spot in the lineup. Had there been a need for any wrestle-offs for the East, I would have allowed them the +5 that would be allotted them for the East/West dual. As far as certified officials, IF the wrestle-off/s were to take place at either BCHS or LFMS, we have used one our middle school coaches who are also TSSAA, AAU, and USAW officials. But, as I mentioned, thankfully we didn't have this situation arise on our side. 

Good enough.  Thanks for responding.  You answered my question for the East side, I am wondering if the same was held true for the West.  The reason for my question is that I was advised there was a wrestle-off on the West side and there was no weigh-in.  One of the coaches said weigh-ins were not needed.  You have not idea what the wrestler weighed.  One of the wrestlers busted his tail to make weight only to be told when he got to the wrestle-off that weigh-ins were not needed.  If it was me, I would have either forced the other wrestler to weigh-in or I would have left.  How is this possible?

I'm sure he's talking about the wrestle off between the Father Ryan kid and the Blackman kid. John Kramer is in charge of the west side and was supposed to have a wrestle off between the two. The Blackman kid went to Wilson Central on the prior Monday but the Father Ryan didn't come due to miscommunication between Kramer and Father Ryan kid. Kramer texted me and asked if the two could wrestle off on Thursday at Blackman. I said yes. The only weigh in I was told of was that the kids had to make +5 of the Sunday of the duals. Coach Hamm from Wilson Central reffed the wrestle off. I did not make the kids weigh in, I only provided a room for the wrestle off to happen.

In this case, do you not believe that both wrestlers should have weighed in?  Does anybody else have wrestle-offs where the wrestlers are not required to weigh in?  

Coach Kramer, were the 2 wrestlers who wrestled-off for the spot on the West team supposed to weigh-in?

Maybe I am wrong to believe that weigh-ins should be a requirement for wrestling-off for any spot on a team whether it is your high school team, club team or all-star team.  They did weigh in for the Dual Match so why would a wrestle off be any different?

Thanks.

Edited by facenthecrowd

Being around the sport of wrestling for 40+ years I have never heard of any type of challenge match without both wrestlers having to make weight and that includes middle school.  The coach may allow a 3-5 pound weight allowance but if you don't make weight you are not allowed to challenge.  If I had been the coach of the wrestler that worked hard to make weight and the other wrestler was not required to make weight I would have taken my wrestler and we would have gone home. 

Selection Process (very important must read):

This year there will be an East/West Dual to select the team.

Date: Feb 28th

Weigh-in:9AM

East Team Coached by Ben Smith

West Team Coached by John Kramer

Weights: Same weights listed above. There will be 5lb allowance. You will be expected to make scratch plus 2lb in Iowa. Example 106 can weigh 111 for the East/West Dual, but must be able to make 108 in Iowa (Iowa is a single day weigh-in).

East / West Team Selection Process:

- You must contact the coach of your region team NLT than the final day of the TSSAA region tournaments to express interest.

- East Team will be made up of wrestlers from the Chattanooga / Knoxville AAU regions

- West Team will be made of wrestlers from the Middle /West Tennessee AAU regions. If you’re unsure of our region just ask the coach!

- Highest place at TSSAA state tournament in desired weight will be selected from their region

- In case where a team has two wrestlers from different division (AAA and DII). Coach will see if there is an existing head to head. If no head to head, a wrestle off will be scheduled

- Coaches do have selection preference as well. They will have one week to put this team together after state, so please know things will move fast.

First off I didn't even have to offer a wrestle off. it clearly state that you had to contact me by the end of Regions and I also extended it to the end of the state tournament ( He Did Not) It also state the highest placer at State. Blackman kid was a state qualifier and ryan kid was not. I offered the wrestle off because I had happened to see the RYAN kid wrestle and thought he was pretty tough. During the season he had given my 132 a tougher match than the blackman kid. so I held only one wrestle off.

Not at any time did I tell either kid or Coach that they had to make weight for the wrestle off which had to be changed to Thursday because Ryan kid did not show up for wrestle off on Monday. I take partial blame for that because I told the Coach where and what date to come for the Monday wrestle off but left off the time. So since I wasn't contacted to inquire about the time I took responsibility for that and rescheduled it. I don't make my team weigh in before wrestle offs but they have to make sure they make it on competition days. ON Sunday the blackman kid was well under the +5 weight allowance.

I really do appreciate your concern and will take that into account next time. This is a lot to get together and organize with a lot of people helping g out. Let me know where you are willing to help out next season and hopefully things will go smoother

thank you

j Kramer

• Upvote 1

I don't even know where to begin because of the thesis you gave prior to getting to the point of not weighing in.  Nothing was ever said about wrestle-offs being offered or not; only the issue of no weigh-ins.  This is the first I have ever heard of wrestle-offs for any competition not having weigh-ins.  Why have them at the Dual meet for that matter.  Whether I can assist next year is beside the point.  One kid sucked down to make weight only to find out they did not have to weigh in.  I guess it falls on the wrestler who made weight.  

Put me down to assist next year with notifications:  when you give a date and place, I can ensure there is a time as well. Also, will advise come as you are, no need to weigh in.  There should be some thought to not having weigh-ins for the East/West Dual next year.  Only tell all wrestlers they only have to make weight when they go to Iowa, unless they have changed their rules.

Thanks.

Edited by facenthecrowd