Best Overall in The State

steelerfan32

When you have open enrollment, any kid across the city of Memphis can attend Mitchell High School. A kid that lives blocks away from FedEx Forum, the Liberty Bowl, the intersection of Central Avenue and Poplar Avenue, or even Ridgeway High School has the opportunity to attend Mitchell High School. However, there are some rules for this. It's not like a student can attend one high school to play basketball, not like it and then transfer back to the normal high school he is originally suppose to attend and play basketball. The honest thing is, winning attracts players. Look at Alabama in football, UCONN in girls basketball, so on and so on. That's reality as it gets. If you win and your school district has open enrollment, you're going to attract players. There's no if's, and's, or but's about it. Dyer County has open enrollment and they collect athletes from Crockett and Lake counties. If I was a baseball player, I would choose Dyer County over Crockett and Lake County. Who wouldn't? And yes, Dyer County is a county school.

Since your name is UCsportsfan, it looks like you made be representing Union or Unicoi County. You need to worry about your Patriots or Blue Devils because they look to be an average team. If it is not Union County or Unicoi County, would you mind telling me which team you are representing? The team I am representing is Jackson North Side. We aren't perfect in our sports, but I am glad to tell you what our athletes do on the field (even though we aren't good except for football)

My point exactly!  They can come from ANYWHERE!

So all those kids that play for Mitchell live in that area of Memphis, right next to the school?  

You asked earlier about open enrollment. Memphis City schools is now defunct and Shelby County Schools is the governing body. Schools like Collierville, Bartlett, Arlington and others broke away and formed their own districts. 

In a city like Memphis, that has a documented poverty problem for years, keeping kids in a district near their home just continues the problem of poverty. In our day equality is a hot word in every aspects of life. And education is no exception. Take schools like Hamilton, Mitchell, Booker T, and all the other schools that no one has heard of because they're not very good in sports. These schools are usually in rough, rundown areas of town. Have you ever been to the Liberty Bowl and seen that neighborhood? Have you ever been to a game at Melrose? Most people from outside of Memphis go to Wolfchase or downtown to Beale St. or to the FedEx Forum. They don't see the neighborhoods and experience what it's like. Boarded up shotgun houses, bars on windows, convenient store clerks behind bullet proof glass. Those areas are really rough. If I have to go I don't hang around very long. Ever heard the saying, "If you don't belong, don't be long."? Memphis is a small city with some big city problems. 

Allowing students to attend a better or perceived better school is supposed to help them beat the problems that some of them have been surrounded since birth. Allowing a student to go across town to a school that has a program of study that will help them in the future is a good thing. Would you disagree? If a school has a good basketball program, like Mitchell, or a good football program like Whitehaven, or a good Track and Field program like Southwind, what would prevent a kid that has athletic potential from going to one of those schools? Would you like your child to attend a school that's in a bad neighborhood, that fails in every aspect of education, and is dangerous? Memphis is different than other cities I've been to. I've had the opportunity to travel a bit so I've seen some places. Most cities (100,000+) have areas that are poor and impoverished and areas that are affluent and rich. Ever city I've seen these places are pretty clearly defined by a landmark, government office or geographical feature. In Memphis you can drive down certain streets and see nice old houses, very well kept, and people out and active. Then you can continue down the same street for 4-5 blocks and be in what most people would call the ghetto. That poses a unique problem for people that have some money and don't want their child in a bad school. Many students stay in the home school area and graduate from it. Everyday I hear about a student that came from a bad school in Memphis and is struggling but beginning to get over the hump at Germantown. But with that I hear about the kids that come from a bad school and continue down the same path they would have been on at their area school. Basically,  open enrollment is an educational trend that is happening in cities all over America. Open enrollment is supposed to afford students the best opportunity for their future.

Does this happen in rural areas? Not often. Is it needed in rural areas? Rarely. 

I'm sure this won't be good enough for you but this is my answer about open enrollment. 

• Upvote 1

I have watched the Stewart kid play in several games and he is not very good at guard. He has the ball taken away from him to much. And if you put someone on him and they stay close and dog him it shakes him up. He is not as good as he is built up to be, but it's all in the hype and who you know around you. It would not surprise me to see him nomitated for Mr. Basketball. UC lost three players last year that could eat his supper any day of the week.

I have watched the Stewart kid play in several games and he is not very good at guard. He has the ball taken away from him to much. And if you put someone on him and they stay close and dog him it shakes him up. He is not as good as he is built up to be, but it's all in the hype and who you know around you. It would not surprise me to see him nomitated for Mr. Basketball. UC lost three players last year that could eat his supper any day of the week.

He might not even good at guard in your eyes but college coaches like him at guard.

My point exactly!  They can come from ANYWHERE!

I don't have a problem with that you're saying, but you are pointing out Memphis Mitchell because they are one of the teams that can win state. Truthfully, pretty much everybody in West Tennessee has open enrollment. Kids from Jackson can go to school in Chester County and Crockett County High Schools for a small amount of fee and the student has to provide transportation to that school. The fee will be around $500 dollars. Before South Gibson County High School was established, kids that live in the Medina city limits can go to a Milan High School (same rules apply). If they don't want to go to Milan High, they will have to travel 20+ minutes to Gibson County High School.

Again, I don't understand why you are complaining when everybody does it, especially to Memphis Mitchell. That's one thing I want to know.