Ms Basketball nominees and why?

MartianMan

Jealousy is an ugly trait we should all try to avoid. There are alot of deserving players and in the end there are only 3 finalist and 1 winner. To make generalized comments like play in a weak league or beat people by 40-50 points is just sad and inaccurate. For example Crystal Dangerfield and Anastasia Hayes of Blackman and Riverdale play in the strongest district in the state of Tennesee. The top 4 in that district were all ranked in the AAA top ten last week in Blackman, Riverdale, Oakland, Stewart's Creek. They both play on teams that are nationally ranked and play a national schedule. The surprise to me was the girl from.Dickson Co. Who is a McDonald's All-American not being in the final 3. With that said It doesn't mean the others are not deserving. Those that were not it doesn't take away from their accomplishments, they should use it as motivation as they head into tournament season.

• Upvote 2

Jealousy is an ugly trait we should all try to avoid. There are alot of deserving players and in the end there are only 3 finalist and 1 winner. To make generalized comments like play in a weak league or beat people by 40-50 points is just sad and inaccurate. For example Crystal Dangerfield and Anastasia Hayes of Blackman and Riverdale play in the strongest district in the state of Tennesee. The top 4 in that district were all ranked in the AAA top ten last week in Blackman, Riverdale, Oakland, Stewart's Creek. They both play on teams that are nationally ranked and play a national schedule. The surprise to me was the girl from.Dickson Co. Who is a McDonald's All-American not being in the final 3. With that said It doesn't mean the others are not deserving. Those that were not it doesn't take away from their accomplishments, they should use it as motivation as they head into tournament season.

The 3rd kid in the final 3 is Kendall Spray. She has hit 144 three's (beating her own record from last year), averaging 27 per game, her team is 26-0, and they beat Dickson Co earlier in the year. Not sure how you take her out of the mix either. If it comes down to absolute numbers, team and individual, Spray is the right choice as a finalist. If it is about who will be the better college player, Lea Lea no doubt gets the spot. Lets don't forget Dickson Co has another great player in Emily Beard. I have seen Dangerfield, Hayes, Spray, and Carter in person this year, but did not see the girl from Memphis. I think they got it right between these 4.

I am sure the finalists were deserving, but I feel badly for Allen of J County. She has accomplished so much more than most could say. This season, she is a Co-MVP of District 7a and also 7a's Defensive player of the Year. Dont know the last time someone won both. To make TWSA All State Team for both Bball and Volleyball and lead your team in Points, Rebounds (as a guard primarily), Steals and Blocks. She has brought home Gold and silver in state, scored her thousandth point long ago and is nearly averaging a double double in the toughest district in 7a. 

I am sure the finalists were deserving, but I feel badly for Allen of J County. She has accomplished so much more than most could say. This season, she is a Co-MVP of District 7a and also 7a's Defensive player of the Year. Dont know the last time someone won both. To make TWSA All State Team for both Bball and Volleyball and lead your team in Points, Rebounds (as a guard primarily), Steals and Blocks. She has brought home Gold and silver in state, scored her thousandth point long ago and is nearly averaging a double double in the toughest district in 7a

Recently, that has absolutely been the case. This season 9A is the toughest district in single A. 

It is a great honor for Carter.  Great player.  I look forward to seeing Carter play at Vandy next year.  

You have to play in a terribly weak district and beat teams 101-17 to get it. It's pretty bad when individual stats come before team stats. I understand your frustration we also have a super candidate that has great team players but our team plays quality opponents night in and night out so no recognition comes to her either.

Sounds like jealousy to me, and couldn't be further from the truth.  AAA Miss Basketball finalists Crystal Dangerfield (Blackman) and Anastasia Hayes (Riverdale) both play in 7-AAA which is by far the toughest district in the state in any classification/division, and the recruiting pros/college coaches say arguably the toughest district in the United States, producing 2 of the past 3 years M A X P R E P S/ESPN/USAToday National Champions.  7-AAA has won the state 5 out of the last 6 years since 2010, and have played in the big game for the past 6 years.  Playing the likes of Blackman, Riverdale, Oakland, Stewarts Creek (all in the final AAA AP Top 10 poll) and Smyrna on a weekly basis inside your district makes you take a beating.  Every team has district losses.  I can assure you 7-AAA producing 2 AAA Miss Basketball finalists is not because they play weak opponents.  It is right the opposite, as the top teams in the district play a national schedule against the top teams in the country.

You have to play in a terribly weak district and beat teams 101-17 to get it. It's pretty bad when individual stats come before team stats. I understand your frustration we also have a super candidate that has great team players but our team plays quality opponents night in and night out so no recognition comes to her either.

Just because your kid/favorite player didn't make the final 3 in the state for Miss Basketball doesn't mean they aren't a great player. There are thousands of kids across the state that play, and many kids going to play in college that didn't make the final 3 either. Just be happy for the kids.

Just because your kid/favorite player didn't make the final 3 in the state for Miss Basketball doesn't mean they aren't a great player. There are thousands of kids across the state that play, and many kids going to play in college that didn't make the final 3 either. Just be happy for the kids.

I tried to explain that to him/her earlier but it was of no use

I have no dog in the hunt, but some simple research on Ms Lea Lea Carter would tell you she is a McDonald's All American not just a nominee. This should help the lazy "experts" on here.

http://www.vucommodores.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/011816aaa.html

http://www.dnj.com/story/sports/high-school/2016/01/17/blackmans-dangerfield-picked-mcdonalds-game/78951278/

Your Welcome

I have no dog in the hunt, but some simple research on Ms Lea Lea Carter would tell you she is a McDonald's All American not just a nominee. This should help the lazy "experts" on here.

http://www.vucommodores.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/011816aaa.html

http://www.dnj.com/story/sports/high-school/2016/01/17/blackmans-dangerfield-picked-mcdonalds-game/78951278/

Your Welcome

Evidently I was wrong and it was an oversight.  Definitely my bad and apologies.  She is a great player, and I have watched her several times over the years.  She will bring a lot to Vandy.  I will correct.